Nancy Pelosi’s husband arrested for DUI in California

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The Democrats and Republicans switched places politically in the 1960s. Until then the south and the places like Texas were Democrat locks. The last Democrat to take Texas was Jimmy Carter in 1976. You may remember that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. The Democrats at the time have been presented as pro-slavery. I believe in the 1860 election they took the votes in the slavery states if that means anything. But regardless, they certainly were at least in favour of the status quo.

I personally would love to know why the parties switched positions in the 1960s and what drove it. From everything I understand about politics the status quo is the path of least resistance. I can only assume the Vietnam War and/or the civil rights movement played a factor. Maybe one day I will find the time to try to research this more.
Nothing changed dude. One of the biggest racists in the Democrat Party during the Clinton years is now the President. Drug Czars, the for-profit prison system, reclassifying crack separately from powder coke, the Three Strike Rule. These are all policies that Biden either created, helped create or fully supported and voted for and they all disproportionately affected the Black community.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Nothing changed dude. One of the biggest racists in the Democrat Party during the Clinton years is now the President. Drug Czars, the for-profit prison system, reclassifying crack separately from powder coke, the Three Strike Rule. These are all policies that Biden either created, helped create or fully supported and voted for and they all disproportionately affected the Black community.
Either the parties changed what they were preaching or the entire population of Texas voted a different way for no reason ..... or the entire population of Texas changed (one example).

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Either the parties changed what they were preaching or the entire population of Texas voted a different way for no reason ..... or the entire population of Texas changed (one example).
Cities tend to become more and more cosmopolitan and thus, usually more liberalized as time goes by. And consider there's been a pretty decent exodus from California to Texas over the last few years.

I believe it was Foxer who said the Democrats learned to weaponize minority issues for their own political gain. It's been about 55 years since the Civil Rights Act was signed into law and yet and the lives of Black people in general has not improved at all. In fact for many of them it's been quite the opposite. Can't blame it all on Republicans. After Johnson signed the Act into law he was heard saying, "That will have the ni**ers voting for us for the next 200 years". According to MSNBC, in Senate cloakrooms and staff meetings, Johnson was practically a connoisseur of the 'n'-word.

Nothing has changed. Although maybe they're more careful about certain words, but Jill Biden referring to Latinos as tacos and Joe calling a Black Dept head his "boy" really shows that little to nothing has changed for the Democrats. They picked a well known racist to be their man for president and the people who voted for him are proud of the fact they voted for an actual racist, this time.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Cities tend to become more and more cosmopolitan and thus, usually more liberalized as time goes by. And consider there's been a pretty decent exodus from California to Texas over the last few years.

I believe it was Foxer who said the Democrats learned to weaponize minority issues for their own political gain. It's been about 55 years since the Civil Rights Act was signed into law and yet and the lives of Black people in general has not improved at all. In fact for many of them it's been quite the opposite. Can't blame it all on Republicans. After Johnson signed the Act into law he was heard saying, "That will have the ni**ers voting for us for the next 200 years". According to MSNBC, in Senate cloakrooms and staff meetings, Johnson was practically a connoisseur of the 'n'-word.

Nothing has changed. Although maybe they're more careful about certain words, but Jill Biden referring to Latinos as tacos and Joe calling a Black Dept head his "boy" really shows that little to nothing has changed for the Democrats. They picked a well known racist to be their man for president and the people who voted for him are proud of the fact they voted for an actual racist, this time.
The lives off black people have generally improved other than inner city slums .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I beg to differ. I agree about the Dems. . . they discovered that fighting for equality for non-Whites and women was a political winner for them.

And the Republicans, as I said earlier, found that scooping up the racists and misogynists disillusioned by the Democratic moves was good for them.

Almost everything has changed since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Every single statistic: employment, college enrollment, college graduation, income, public office, etc. has improved for Blacks (and other non-Whites and women) since 1964.

The problem for Democrats is. . . where do you jump off the train? How good is good enough? When do you decide that it's all downhill from here and stop pushing? At what point are you no longer dealing with a systemic problem, but just individual conduct? In other words, when is it no longer a national political issue?

The last significant civil rights case in the Supreme Court was Runyon v. McCrary in 1976, where the Court ruled that even a purely-private, purely-local day care center could not refuse Black children. (Funny story, the little boy who was the subject of the case grew up to be two-time NFL Pro Bowler and Super Bowl-winning defensive end Michael McCrary of the Seahawks and the Ravens.) That's it. The law is settled. You discriminate on the basis of race, sex, national origin, religion, or skin colour at your legal peril.

I don't think we did civil rights right. But the system's been in place getting on for 50 years now. It's well past time to put it to bed. There are no more major policy issues to legislate on. Racial disputes are now individual actions under well-established and well-understood laws. And for every employer, landlord, college, or hotel that tries to exclude non-Whites, there's at least one that actively seeks non-Whites.

Most "racism," at least in terms of actions, is more based on poverty than race, though there is still far too much assumption that any non-White person you see at random is poor, ill-educated, unemployed, and looking for trouble. But I don't see how you can legislate that. Jim Crow (the attitude, not the laws) wasn't built in a day, and it won't be torn down in a day. Having done what legislation can do, it's time to move on.

Reactions: Serryah

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I beg to differ. I agree about the Dems. . . they discovered that fighting for equality for non-Whites and women was a political winner for them.
Yep, but there's a difference between now and then. It's one thing to stand up (or pretend to stand up) for minority rights as a way to make political hay. It's quite another to weaponize it. Identity politics is the intentional weaponization of "minority rights".
And the Republicans, as I said earlier, found that scooping up the racists and misogynists disillusioned by the Democratic moves was good for them.
So basically a bunch of racist, former Democrat supporters gravitated to the Republicans. Would they be the first RINO's perhaps?
Almost everything has changed since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Every single statistic: employment, college enrollment, college graduation, income, public office, etc. has improved for Blacks (and other non-Whites and women) since 1964.
But was that the result of the actual Act or more a result of "Affirmative Action" which was just another term for reverse racism?
The problem for Democrats is. . . where do you jump off the train? How good is good enough? When do you decide that it's all downhill from here and stop pushing? At what point are you no longer dealing with a systemic problem, but just individual conduct? In other words, when is it no longer a national political issue?
Well you see, the Democrats and left-wing parties throughout the West have adopted two major policies. Identity politics and going along with the bullshit narrative that all White people are inherently racist. So, I don't see them jumping off the train anytime soon since they in fact are shoveling ever more coal into the fire box. Today's Democrats and Liberals aren't parties of equality, they NEED to keep sowing division in order to maintain control of power, because that's all they've really got left.
The last significant civil rights case in the Supreme Court was Runyon v. McCrary in 1976, where the Court ruled that even a purely-private, purely-local day care center could not refuse Black children. (Funny story, the little boy who was the subject of the case grew up to be two-time NFL Pro Bowler and Super Bowl-winning defensive end Michael McCrary of the Seahawks and the Ravens.) That's it. The law is settled. You discriminate on the basis of race, sex, national origin, religion, or skin colour at your legal peril.
I agree. However the left wants to portray any case of individual racism as systemic racism these days. That's not exactly helping things.
I don't think we did civil rights right. But the system's been in place getting on for 50 years now. It's well past time to put it to bed. There are no more major policy issues to legislate on. Racial disputes are now individual actions under well-established and well-understood laws. And for every employer, landlord, college, or hotel that tries to exclude non-Whites, there's at least one that actively seeks non-Whites.
Yep, we've even reached the point where Black-owned businesses that only employ or promote Black people is considered to be anything but racist.
Most "racism," at least in terms of actions, is more based on poverty than race, though there is still far too much assumption that any non-White person you see at random is poor, ill-educated, unemployed, and looking for trouble. But I don't see how you can legislate that. Jim Crow (the attitude, not the laws) wasn't built in a day, and it won't be torn down in a day. Having done what legislation can do, it's time to move on.
The entire issue with ALL of this today is it simply presumes that only White people are racist. But I do agree that a lot "racism" these days is really just classism. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So can we move forward? You, me, Serryah, Ron in Regina, maybe a few others?

We'll still have plenty of differences, but can we just admit that we're searching for a "just" society, and quit ascribing Trumpism to you and Ron, and BLM-ism to Serryah and me?

Maybe look for some level of government action, schooling, and private conduct that will fulfill the (quite legitimate) claim of the so-called Right, "I don't care if you're White, Black, Brown, Red, Pointer, Setter, or any other damn thing? You do your work, keep up your home, and contribute to the community however you see fit, and I'll shake your hand and buy you a beer?"

True Dope's an idiot, okay? I'll be the first (non-Canadian and therefore not-really-qualified-to-comment) to say that. And Serryah, who is alleged to be a shrieking Lib, feels the same way.

Maybe deal with issues on "What's possible (preferably without massive, mandated, transfers of wealth, but maybe with a little government nudge here and there" basis?

Ferfuck'ssake, let's make this board more than a bitch-fest. There's some seriously capable people here.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So can we move forward? You, me, Serryah, Ron in Regina, maybe a few others?

We'll still have plenty of differences, but can we just admit that we're searching for a "just" society, and quit ascribing Trumpism to you and Ron, and BLM-ism to Serryah and me?

Maybe look for some level of government action, schooling, and private conduct that will fulfill the (quite legitimate) claim of the so-called Right, "I don't care if you're White, Black, Brown, Red, Pointer, Setter, or any other damn thing? You do your work, keep up your home, and contribute to the community however you see fit, and I'll shake your hand and buy you a beer?"

True Dope's an idiot, okay? I'll be the first (non-Canadian and therefore not-really-qualified-to-comment) to say that. And Serryah, who is alleged to be a shrieking Lib, feels the same way.

Maybe deal with issues on "What's possible (preferably without massive, mandated, transfers of wealth, but maybe with a little government nudge here and there" basis?

Ferfuck'ssake, let's make this board more than a bitch-fest. There's some seriously capable people here.
*mic drop*

Best post on here in a while. I'm on board. I will certainly try to moderate myself more, stick to the issues and lay off the ad hominem bullshit. Except when, ya know, harpercons gets an hour on the public library's computers and shows up here. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
*mic drop*

Best post on here in a while. I'm on board. I will certainly try to moderate myself more, stick to the issues and lay off the ad hominem bullshit. Except when, ya know, harpercons gets an hour on the public library's computers and shows up here. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, well, y'know, you're an imperialist colonialist racist fascist Klan Nazi right-wing sexist rapist asshole, but I like the cut of your jib.

Speaking of which, if you had a load to be hauled, or an improvement on your land to be made, is there anybody you'd rely on more than Ron or petros? Boys know what the fuck they're doing, enit?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yeah, well, y'know, you're an imperialist colonialist racist fascist Klan Nazi right-wing sexist rapist asshole, but I like the cut of your jib.

Speaking of which, if you had a load to be hauled, or an improvement on your land to be made, is there anybody you'd rely on more than Ron or petros? Boys know what the fuck they're doing, enit?
There WAS one guy when it came to buildings or improvements. A contractor named Rosati. On a personal level I thought the guy was a fucking goof but if I ever wanted a structure built, he would'a been my first and only choice. I actually saw him fire one of his own workers for cutting corners on a job. Dude took his trade and profession seriously.

On here I'd have to go with Ron or Petros too. Years ago hauling something wouldn't have been a problem as I spent two years hauling flammable and explosive materials. Today, no. I'm unable to drive anything safely anymore. As for building something or making improvements, again Ron or Petros. My childhood LEGO skills didn't translate well into actual skills. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There WAS one guy when it came to buildings or improvements. A contractor named Rosati. On a personal level I thought the guy was a fucking goof but if I ever wanted a structure built, he would'a been my first and only choice. I actually saw him fire one of his own workers for cutting corners on a job. Dude took his trade and profession seriously.

On here I'd have to go with Ron or Petros too. Years ago hauling something wouldn't have been a problem as I spent two years hauling flammable and explosive materials. Today, no. I'm unable to drive anything safely anymore. As for building something or making improvements, again Ron or Petros. My childhood LEGO skills didn't translate well into actual skills. :LOL:
Yeah, I hauled a STICS (Self-Contained Transportable Intelligence and Security System) from Riyadh to fuck-knows in the Rub al Khali in Saudi. Idiot 18-wheeler driver didn't know how to handle drifting sand. Having lived in Arizona, I did.

Still wish I'd had Ron there.

Like I said, multiple shit-loads of good sense and practical knowledge on this board.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Let's start here. The attack on Mr. Pelosi was reprehensible, and we hope DePape spends a long time in the hoosegow or the state mental hospital.

Whatever differences we have this is the. . . absolute. . . dumbest. . . way to handle them.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Let's start here. The attack on Mr. Pelosi was reprehensible, and we hope DePape spends a long time in the hoosegow or the state mental hospital.

Whatever differences we have this is the. . . absolute. . . dumbest. . . way to handle them.

IMO, regardless of party (repeating myself, I know) this kind'a thing should NEVER be acceptable, by anyone. Being in politics is hard enough, now shit like this...

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Making this all encompassing could be difficult. 1, we don't have the same race problems the US does, 2, our government has embedded racism in their hiring practices that no private business could legally do, or even want to for the most part. So lets start with the government.
The government's stated goal is to have minorities have the same level of representation in government as in general society. Government is already overrepresented with the lazy and terminally stupid, so those are covered. Now we go to race. Having equal representation by race in government may be a lofty goal, but it totally eliminates merit from the equation. Not only do we have to have race balance, but gender balance as well. Another strike against merit.
Then we have the land claims issue, that pits natives against everyone else. Decisions that should rightfully be government mandate are being forced to pass native approval, and often not just the ones in the local area. And land claims is an industry for lawyers. As a lawyer I trust told me some years back" Land claims process was set up to provide a generation of work for the law industry getting natives all kinds of special rights and another generation of law work to get everyone else equal rights. As long as rights are based on skin colour, democracy is not possible.
Now, for the private sector. I am sure it exists in places, but I have not seen it in the projects I work on. Partly because most of these projects are run or owned by international players. Also except for the current one, they are all union projects and our unions simply won't accept racist or gender based discrimination.
There is a bit of what might be classed as reverse racism, don't know if that is the right term, but it is generally accepted that Filipinos are the hardest workers on any jobsite. And white millennials are the most useless.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Don't care. Things are working the way they should. Government action has done what it can do. Time for private action, moral suasion, and the passage of time to finish the job.

No, I'm not a hypocrite. I got into college (with a high-school equivalency diploma) because I was in the Air Force and the University of Maryland HAD to take me (part of their contract with the Department of Defense.

I got into law school fair and square, with a magna cum laude BA and a damn good Law School Admissions Test score. I never listed my race on the applications.

The reward to me? Knowing I made it because of my brains and guts, not because of some damn liberal's notions of compensating me for what Tecumseh suffered.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

I certainly agree the attack was reprehensible but are we suggesting that DePape should spend more time in prison than those who have done this to Joe Average Citizen?

Reactions: Twin_Moose