Movie thread... any good suggestions on ones to see?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The last movie I saw was slingblade for about the 10th time....billy bob thorton was awesome in that role. I think I will watch fargo again for the 10th time to...not much slection out there.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Have not seen hero..I think slingblade was billys best role! I like things with a twist :twisted: like the crying game! did you ever see that one...strange but most entertaining I thought. I just watched a series called romper stomper...a russell crowe role before he got famous....he is a very good actor. Did you happen to see American history X, I thought that was pretty good.

Isengard

Electoral Member
RE: Movie thread... any g

I didn't see Crying games because some people told me how it ended.... American History X, I loved that movie, I've seen it so many times!! Have you seen Memento with Guy Pearce? If you like things with a twist, rent this movie!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yes I have seen it!!! a very good twist! You know when I saw american history X , I thought wow edward norton is going to be really big...he was outstanding in that movie...but everything else since has been rather bland...Did you see Fargo...talk about a twister...the cohen brothers are most delightful!!! secret: don't tell anybody but I love jim carrey pet detective movies..they really crack me up...I thought I was going to die laughing at the hippo birth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Favorite comedy movie?

Isengard

Electoral Member
RE: Movie thread... any g

One night I came back home and my brother rented this movie, Ace Ventura, the first. I watched it thinking that it would sucks but I laughed so much!! It was a good surprise! I know that you like Jim or you don't, I just fit in the first category. The hippo birth was hilarious too, those people standing there watching... Dumb and dumber is one of my fav from Jim Carey. On egood comedy I saw last year is La Grande Séduction, produced in Québec. It's the story of a little island with like 100 inhabitants. A doctor comes to work there as part of his sentence for drunk driving?? drugs?? I don't remember, anyway it's temporary and he's not really happy to go there. The people want to keep him and they do all in their power to bring him to love the place... It's a funny story, all they can do to please him and find ways to catch his interests. Look for it at your video store, I think you'll like it!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
La Grande Séduction, I have not seen the movie, but I have had a few of those myself...not quite like your description tho :lol:

yes I really do like jim carrey...he kind of takes after me 8) I swear the guy reads my mind and steals my ideas..the monopoly man routine, I thought I would have to call an ambulance I was laughing so hard....probally because I have played alot of monopoly in my day.
My favorite comedy right now is find Ned divine. Have you seen it? its a little irish movie..very enjoyable it was.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Goodbye Lenin!

Goodbye Lenin is a story about a son who loves his mother so much that he is willing to turn her home into a world that has dissapeared while she was in a Coma. The film is set in Former Communist East Germany. When a student protest against the wall goes out of control, Alex's mother falls into a coma. While she is out, the wall comes down and her beloved Communist world is destroyed. The doctors tell Alex to prevent her form big surprises, as she may die. Alex then converts his flat into what it was before he went out and made the most of the new type of world around him. With the help of his freinds and sister, he manages to prevent his mother from knowing about the new world. They must make the news, chnage packages and also make sure she cannot go outside. She does, and falls ill again only to go into hospital again.

I watched this movie in it's original format in German. There are English subtitles available, though, so I suggest anybody interested in a really intriguing movie to check this one out. It's an amazing film!

The director is Wolfgang Becker and it stars Daniel Bruhl (probably not familiar to a lot of people here in Canada) and former East German film "person" (they didn't use the word star in the communist east), Katrin Sass. If you've ever seen any DEFA films, she might have been in it.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Goodbye Lenin was a very good movie, I agree. Germany is putting out some of the best movies of any country these days.

We watched 'Dogville', and thoroughly enjoyed it. Anybody expecting a typical movie will be disappointed, though, for it is presented as a play, and very minimalist (no music, barebones stage).

It is an excellent, thought-provoking little play which looks at the hardest question about evil: are all humans capable of it given the right circumstances?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Its so good to see that toaster around again :lol: Admen, your description of the movie is very tempting...I think I will rent it. I never liked sub titles until I watched das boot..and of course its a beautiful world....two excellent movies

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Das Boot was a GREEEEEEAT movie! Good taste.

Goodbye Lenin, you gotta see it. I watched it the second I could get my hands on it and I didn't regret it all all. XFilme group is good, they released Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt), too!

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
One movie that I watched, at least 15 times, is THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. I find it extremely well done. I think I have worn out the VCR tape so one of our daughters has bought me the DVD version. Hope the neighbours aren't home when I play it (we live in an end-unit townhome) as the subwoofer surround-sound system I have hooked up to my DVD player will surely shake the foundation and knock the dust off the ceiling fans :D.

Aviallani

Electoral Member
Aug 26, 2004
Calgary, NW
I'm a huge movie buff but I'll list a few of my faves.....

Starship troopers
The Red Violin
Dangerous Liasions
Moulin Rouge
Kill Bill
Darkness Falls
The Village
Anything by Kevin Smith, especially Mall Rats
Fried Green Tomatoes

I'll stop there for now since I'll never stop if I don't limit it :lol:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I love kill bill...I pratice those moves on galaniomama :lol: but I need to find a yellow jumpsuit 8)

Name your "top ten" all time favorite war movies.The best of the best...here are my favorites

1. an occurrence at owl creek bridge.

2. Galipoli

3. Da boot

4. Gladiator

5. life is beautiful

6 bridge on the river kwai

7 great escape

8 Red dawn

9 Zulu

10. Horatio Hornblower

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
1. Dr. Strangelove

2. Das Boot

3. Life is Beautiful

4. Schindler's List

5. Good Morning Vietnam

6. Apocalypse Now

7. Miracle Mile

8. Mediterraneo

9. M*A*S*H

10. Hope & Glory

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Oh my god I forgot about Dr. strangelove...I love love that movie...especially slim pinkins riding the bomb into russia...he...haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ok, for those of you who love 80s films, here's one you might remember...

GREMLINS

mwhahahaha

Ok, so I watched this movie for the first time since sometime in the 90s and I never knew how funny it was (given I was half in the bag when I watched it.) I just had serious problems stopping myself from laughing everytime they spoke or smoked or blew things up. "mmmmm, Waaaah-tteeerr"

Suggested for anyone that needs a good laugh from the past :D