Most of the used fighter jets bought by Canada are still not in service, MPs hear

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
WHy not put a diesel in the boat? Lots of power and better fuel economy.
That's a really good idea as well. Wasn't even thinking of the 350 when it happened and now I have two boat motors. Comment from the seller was that it was a good motor for a blower.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
A 260 cam is what they call an RV or towing cam. A notch above stock but a good notch. Excellent low end torque.

42 is damn fast on water. I'm fully aware of what the jet boat can do when having fun with the trim.

I'm kinda jealous.
It could be yours:)

Did you search Colorado River Jetboats 1960?

The boat came from St Clair county Michigan where the river is the border with the US. Not saying it was used for anything illegal. I'll see if I can't post a pic. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Yep a little 4 cylinder JD or Kabota cheap on fuel and with a little tinkering produce good HP, can find old JD engines in RR air compressors, 410 & 510 JD backhoes, and older JD swathers/combines. I bought a 15kw generator w/ Kabota 4 cyl. for a case of beer a month ago, older light plants also have the Kabota engine.
I almost bought a Gray before the 283 but there were mounting issues related to the rotation. Still learning.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
My apologies for derailing the thread and thanks for the excellent discussion related to the Christmas present I bought for myself. I recommend everyone to go out and do the same. Who knows how long we got? I'll start another thread in an appropriate forum once I have more questions to ask.

May as well also throw out my personal amber alert for info on anything early econoline related, 61 - 67 Ford and Mercury's. Everything is hard to find and we can talk about engines for that as well. I have a van running a 144 and a pickup with a 170. That same block evolved into the 2.3 L Ford used with a turbo in the Thunderbird. You can probably tell I have a few projects on the go. 81 RD350LC with the same colour combination as the boat among them. Package deal Petros.

Back to the F18's it's too bad they can't turn them around a little faster than they are. Once they are flying they are more than enough to do whatever they are called upon to do imo. To spend $50B that turns into twice that before it arrives in service is just a way of saying thanks to the people who make the new planes. If it was Canadian industry benefitting it might be different but it is not.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My apologies for derailing the thread and thanks for the excellent discussion related to the Christmas present I bought for myself. I recommend everyone to go out and do the same. Who knows how long we got? I'll start another thread in an appropriate forum once I have more questions to ask.

May as well also throw out my personal amber alert for info on anything early econoline related, 61 - 67 Ford and Mercury's. Everything is hard to find and we can talk about engines for that as well. I have a van running a 144 and a pickup with a 170. That same block evolved into the 2.3 L Ford used with a turbo in the Thunderbird. You can probably tell I have a few projects on the go. 81 RD350LC with the same colour combination as the boat among them. Package deal Petros.

Back to the F18's it's too bad they can't turn them around a little faster than they are. Once they are flying they are more than enough to do whatever they are called upon to do imo. To spend $50B that turns into twice that before it arrives in service is just a way of saying thanks to the people who make the new planes. If it was Canadian industry benefitting it might be different but it is not.
Seems like the Air Force is as slow as the Navy. I read in the Victoria paper today that there is a sub that has been tied up for repairs for 9 years now and will need 2 more because the ballast tanks were never drained properly(9 years ago?) That thing is soon going to be older than the kids they get to chew bublegum for leak patch at sea.