More than 100 container ships are waiting to enter the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Has anyone seen No-Show Pete?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Go read the new rules California put in place for trucks to gain entry to the ports. That is almost 100% of the problem. Lone term ships will just go to other ports but for now they are stuck with the original destination.
So while all these ships are sitting at anchor buring fuel cargo is sitting in asian ports waiting for a ship to take products to North America.
My understanding from hearing from truck drivers who call into some of the radio shows I listen to that some of them, (owners mainly) won't even go to California because their regulations are so harsh & stupid they don't want to have to deal with them so natch, if that's the case, maybe that's why there's a shortage of trucks on the dock there.

Having said that tho' my understanding is there's a shortage of drivers across the country.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My understanding from hearing from truck drivers who call into some of the radio shows I listen to that some of them, (owners mainly) won't even go to California because their regulations are so harsh & stupid they don't want to have to deal with them so natch, if that's the case, maybe that's why there's a shortage of trucks on the dock there.

Having said that tho' my understanding is there's a shortage of drivers across the country.
Even still the majority of sea cans end up on intermodal rail.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Still have to get to the intermodal .
Which is brand new, on-site and robotic in Long Beach

Phase 1 construction began in May 2011, and wrapped up five years later, allowing the terminal to operate across an initial 151 acres. When Phase 2 ended in October 2017, the facility expanded to 191 acres. July 2021 marked the end of the third and final phase. The terminal now covers 300 acres, with a completed container yard, an administration building and an on-doc rail yard designed to handle 1.1 million TEUs annually. In addition, 14 ship-to-shore gantry cranes line a new 4,200-foot-long concrete wharf capable of receiving three ships at once.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

65% of voters agree with Sen. Blackburn: Buttigieg should 'get back to work or leave': poll​

53% of Democrats also agreed with the Republican senator's statement.

From the article

The Tennessee Republican made the comment to Breitbart after Politico reported that the Transportation Secretary had been on paternity leave since August. "We're in the middle of a transportation crisis, and Pete Buttigieg is sitting at home," Blackburn said. "Meanwhile, cargo boats are unable to dock, and shelves are sitting empty. Pete needs to either get back to work or leave the Department of Transportation. It's time to put American families first."

A spokesperson for the Department of Transportation told Politico about Buttigieg's paternity leave: "For the first four weeks, he was mostly offline except for major agency decisions and matters that could not be delegated. He has been ramping up activities since then."

A majority of Democrats (53%), along with 77% of Republicans, agreed with Blackburn's statement.