More than 10,000 Canadians received a medically-assisted death in 2021: report

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Personally i don't have a big problem with this. If an animal is suffering badly with no chance of recovery we put it down as a mercy. We should have the right to decide that for ourselves.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Personally i don't have a big problem with this. If an animal is suffering badly with no chance of recovery we put it down as a mercy. We should have the right to decide that for ourselves.
Does a botched surgery count?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, but being poor or depressed does. It's not a frequent occurrence but there have been doctors who performed MAID for non-medical reasons, and that's a problem.
I would agree. While I have no problem with people ending it for psychological reasons than for medical reasons, my dividing line is the "last action" should be performed by the suicide, if at all possible.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I would agree. While I have no problem with people ending it for psychological reasons than for medical reasons, my dividing line is the "last action" should be performed by the suicide, if at all possible.
You mean like they should be the one to push 'the button'? It makes sense - it's the only way to know they were 100 percent ok with it. But i'm not really sure if that is or isn't the case already. It's medical ASSISTANCE in dying - I was sort of under the impression that they just set it all up and then the person still had to trigger it themselves, but i could be entirely wrong.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
A friends sister just went through this last week. I don't know how it was done. She was 54 and had throat cancer. It was so advanced that she couldn't eat anymore. She still had her wits about her and made the decision herself.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You mean like they should be the one to push 'the button'? It makes sense - it's the only way to know they were 100 percent ok with it. But i'm not really sure if that is or isn't the case already. It's medical ASSISTANCE in dying - I was sort of under the impression that they just set it all up and then the person still had to trigger it themselves, but i could be entirely wrong.
Favor the .357 in the mouth myself, but yeah, a button'll do in a pinch.

Reactions: The_Foxer