Moose recipes

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We have a freezer full of moose. I tried a steak tonight and realize it's a little tougher than beef. I suppose slower cooking would help with that. Does anyone have experience with cooking moose and can share a recipe or two?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
slow cooking might help Kreskin, but, so may liberal marinading.

Simply remember 'acid and flavor' in whatever you use to marinade. Beer's always a good one for beef and I think it would work okay for moose. Add some of your fave BBQ sauce for extra flavor and soak for a day or two.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
most excellent, unfortunately the only edible animals around here are birds, pigs and fish. i guess you can count bugs if your into that, but i'm not

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Moose is a dry (lean) meat. Some water in the roast pan is a good idea. If it has that "wild" taste to it, leave the meat sit overnight in a pan of salt/water, vinegar/water or baking soda/water solution.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Moose is a dry (lean) meat. Some water in the roast pan is a good idea. If it has that "wild" taste to it, leave the meat sit overnight in a pan of salt/water, vinegar/water or baking soda/water solution.

since it's a dry meat, if you do marinate it (may as well play around since you have a freezer full), pat it dry and seal it with olive oil before trying to grill it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
most excellent, unfortunately the only edible animals around here are birds, pigs and fish. i guess you can count bugs if your into that, but i'm not
I'll bet you have quite a fish selection over there.
Thanks for the tips.
since it's a dry meat, if you do marinate it (may as well play around since you have a freezer full), pat it dry and seal it with olive oil before trying to grill it.
Sounds like a great idea.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
yea definitely, there's squid, crab, lobster, shrimp, oyster, clam, shark, and a ton of fish like parrot fish, tuna, and this 1 in particular is an island favorite called an ulua (oo-loo-ah)

lol but this has nothing to do with moose, sorry

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We have a freezer full of moose. I tried a steak tonight and realize it's a little tougher than beef. I suppose slower cooking would help with that. Does anyone have experience with cooking moose and can share a recipe or two?

If you've got a freezer full, you have nothing to loose by trying this out. Trust me.
This is a good trick for tough pork and cheap beef Blade steaks...

You need and electric frying pan (gives you good control over the temperature).
-Heat your pan to about 350F and add some olive oil. Give it about 20 seconds.
-throw in your (already defrosted) Moose steaks and brown on each side.
-Turn down the heat to about 250F and add about a 1/4" of water and simmer
(covered) for about 45 minutes or so. Keep adding water every 5-10 minutes
or so to keep the water level around the 1/4" to a 1/3" depth. Don't be afraid
to flip the steaks (this isn't the BBQ) as it's the steam that'll cook the meat and
with a lid on the pan, it'll make it very moist and tender.
-You'll find that some of the juice leaks out of the steaks, and due to the steam
leakage around the lid, you'll have a reduction sauce that will need you to add a can
(or two) of some cream soup (mushroom is always good but celery is a nice twist).
Just spoon it out right on top of the steaks right inside the pan and put the lid back
on...leaving the heat still at 250F. You're 5-10 minutes away from supper now. Add a
healthy dose of black pepper right on top of the soup.
The heat and steam will thin the soup out and it'll run into the reduction after a few
minutes.
-Stir the reduction and soup together, turn of the pan, plate your steaks with some
mashed potatoes and pour the sauce over everything. Maybe a side salad to round
things out and you're set.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Annika, that is quite a fish! You could feed a battalion with that one.

Ron, thank you for the recipe. I look forward to trying it.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Mmmmm...I love moose steaks! I usually don't like my beef steak very rare, but moose is one of those wild game meats, that can be cooked extra rare.....Mmmmmmm...that reminds me.... I should go hunting.....

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If you aren't used to eating moose, watch out that there's a clear path to the loo and have a gas mask handy. lol
Braising steak is pretty good. Mix in some bacon with it and it is quite good after marinating in a tomato based sauce.
Potting the roast with veggies is awesome, too.
Also moose pepperoni is to die for.
The only critter comparable taste-wise, IMO, is elk.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
If you aren't used to eating moose, watch out that there's a clear path to the loo and have a gas mask handy. lol
Braising steak is pretty good. Mix in some bacon with it and it is quite good after marinating in a tomato based sauce.
Potting the roast with veggies is awesome, too.
Also moose pepperoni is to die for.
The only critter comparable taste-wise, IMO, is elk.

Yum & Yum.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've always relied on a good bit of meat tenderizer for moose steaks. Give the steaks a good pounding with a meat hammer. Sprinkle generously with meat tenderizer on both sides and pierce the meat all over on both sides with a fork. Pour olive oil over steak on both sides and let it set for about five hours in the fridge before cooking. With moose steak I prefer pan frying rather than the barbeque. Fry steak in a hot pan with lots of olive oil. When steak is done pour off fat and deglaze the pan with a half cup of red wine. Pour the deglazing liquid over the hot steaks and serve.

Enjoy.....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Moose pot roast, cooked the same way as beef. Delicious!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Rick there is a beef recipe under "Braising Recipes" that is almost exactly what my mom did with moose steaks back in the sixties. They were pretty good......Might be worth a try.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Ah...juan I had moose once and it was grand...not too many around here though...
rgs

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I much prefer moose to deer meat, but a buddy just gave me a few deer steaks. Any suggestions on cooking deer?