Mac OS vs. Windows

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I'm wondering, from a user's point of view, is the Mac operating system a marked departure from Windows? Would someone brought up on windows be at all challenged to switch to a Mac overnight?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Takes a bit of getting used to but I made the transition with little trouble at all. And I'm glad that I did.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm wondering, from a user's point of view, is the Mac operating system a marked departure from Windows? Would someone brought up on windows be at all challenged to switch to a Mac overnight?
I think it is a personal preference. I find Windows completely frustrating. Most people I know who switched from Windows to Mac wouldn't go back to Windows if you paid them. But I've also heard a few Windows users say they just couldn't get the hang of Macs. I used to fix and upgrade Macs and most people who were switchers had trouble with the simplicity of the OS. But after about two weeks they were very happy with it. The hardest part is unlearning Windows.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
That's what I'm wondering. Mac was always the go-to solution for the education system because it was so user-friendly. As I understand it Mac was into point-and-click while PCs were still using written DOS commands, and that windows was developed to emulate the Mac system. I'm looking at picking up a small laptop and when I search the net for reviews and such, the 13" MacBook comes in at the top of the list with notable frequency.

Last edited:

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Yes, I am seriously considering switching to a Mac as well for my home computer. I'm sick of the constant changes to the different operating systems with PCs. And now this Windows 8 is a whole new scheme once again.
Since I need to get a new lap top I think this is the time to bite the bullet and change.

I understand that you normally have to pay about a $100 to have your files transferred from your PC to Mac. So I guess I'll also have to buy the Microsoft office package which is an additional cost as well. But once I incur these costs I don't see myself going back to a home PC anymore.,

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Takes a bit of getting used to but I made the transition with little trouble at all. And I'm glad that I did.

I found using my daughter's Mac Book when I visit her a bit of a challenge because it's actually simpler than the windows operating system.....
I did find one strange thing....I had two usb sticks one with movies, the other with e-books that my daughter wanted transferred to her Mac.
The transfer went OK, but when I put those usb sticks in my notebook I was prompted to run the "repair" utility......Sin I run my pcs with all folders "visible" I found that the Mac had put some unknown and normally "invisible" folders on both sticks..
I deleted those folders, but I was still getting those "repair" prompt, which I ignored, since everything would work anyway.
I even Transferred all the files I wanted to keep on my PC, formatted the sticks, replaced the files, but those two sticks still hang up occasionally.....
I don't use those stick anymore since I now have some faster ones with more memory.....I just keep them in case I have to transfer some files to my daughter's Mac Book. :lol:

Mayby Cliffy has an answer to that one?????

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes, I am seriously considering switching to a Mac as well for my home computer. I'm sick of the constant changes to the different operating systems with PCs. And now this Windows 8 is a whole new scheme once again.
Since I need to get a new lap top I think this is the time to bite the bullet and change.

I understand that you normally have to pay about a $100 to have your files transferred from your PC to Mac. So I guess I'll also have to buy the Microsoft office package which is an additional cost as well. But once I incur these costs I don't see myself going back to a home PC anymore.,

I transferred my files on my own, did have to buy a program with special cable for it but I don't think it was $100, maybe around $35? but I honestly can't remember the exact cost. Was ridiculously simple to do as well. Bought my Mac and the transfer kit at Best Buy.

I also bought the MS Office Home and Student for Mac, which can save files in a manner that can be opened, viewed, edited on a PC, but I only bought that because I do use excel a lot at home and it's always nice to have a word processing program.

I found using my daughter's Mac Book when I visit her a bit of a challenge because it's actually simpler than the windows operating system.....

I don't hate PC's but did feel that, and have since found it to be true, that there's too much maintenance involved with Windows and other programs that you just don't have to deal with on a Mac. It's a smoother system to operate when you don't want to be bothered, which I didn't, I did that for years and I was done!

The other thing is since I do have other Apple products (iPhone, iPad and Apple tv) I find that it all integrates beautifully without any difficulty on my part. It really is plug and play for the most part.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We have been using Macs for years. Would never willingly use a PC. Bad enough when I have to use one for work. It is much like being forced to drive a Model T when you are use to a modern car.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We have been using Macs for years. Would never willingly use a PC. Bad enough when I have to use one for work. It is much like being forced to drive a Model T when you are use to a modern car.

I would say it's not so much how they operate but more about the level of maintenance (time involved and costs for upgrades) that goes into keeping them operating smoothly. I think Mac wins hands down on that one.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Mayby Cliffy has an answer to that one?????
Nope. I have never run into that problem but then I rarely transfer files from a PC to a Mac. Quite often though if I have to transfer files from a Mac to a PC I create a PDF file of it or if it is Word or Photoshop, I burn them to CD then there is no mix up with PC and Mac formatting. I have found That it is harder to transfer stuff from Mac to PC because Windows always wants to reformat the medium. With my Mac and the burn program Toast I can format CDs to run on both.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If you buy a mac, you gootta drink the kool aid. :) I just don't consider myself to have enough hippster in me to use a mac.

iPhone yes. Mac, no.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I transferred my files on my own, did have to buy a program with special cable for it but I don't think it was $100, maybe around $35? but I honestly can't remember the exact cost. Was ridiculously simple to do as well. Bought my Mac and the transfer kit at Best Buy.
t.
Thanks, good to know this info.!!

I also bought the MS Office Home and Student for Mac, which can save files in a manner that can be opened, viewed, edited on a PC, but I only bought that because I do use excel a lot at home and it's always nice to have a word processing program.
t.
I understand you can buy a program for Mac that allows you to run PC files on your Mac. Is this correct?? And is this what you have ?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Thanks, good to know this info.!!

I understand you can buy a program for Mac that allows you to run PC files on your Mac. Is this correct?? And is this what you have ?
There are several Virtual Windows type programs that allow you to install Windows on a Mac. Mac has one call Boot Camp that allows you to run both at the same time..

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

No that's not what I have, I actually bought the Mac version of MS Office Home & Student. But then I needed a copy anyway, couldn't find the older one I had, plus it's all of $100 give or take (you can get a good deal usually during Back to School) and I like have hard disks for some programs.

I think what you're referring to is Boot Camp which I think comes in the utilities folder, I say I think because I've not used it.

Boot Camp: Apple's Answer to Running Windows on a Mac