Lytton, BC Fire

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Very very sad. One young man watched his parents die in front of him
His parents decided to take shelter in a hole that was to be used for a new septic tank. Another man had put his two dogs in his truck then went back to get his cat out of the house, when he got back outside his truck was on fire. A young First Nation's woman's father stayed behind on her reserve to fight the fire and she hasn't heard from him since.

• Sad
Reactions: Twin_Moose

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
His parents decided to take shelter in a hole that was to be used for a new septic tank. Another man had put his two dogs in his truck then went back to get his cat out of the house, when he got back outside his truck was on fire. A young First Nation's woman's father stayed behind on her reserve to fight the fire and she hasn't heard from him since.

Really a horrific tragedy

Anyone know how this fire started, homeless camper or camper, cigarette, lightning??

45C and heat.. isn't helping

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Really a horrific tragedy

Anyone know how this fire started, homeless camper or camper, cigarette, lightning??

45C and heat.. isn't helping
Apparently they believe the fire was started by sparks from a passing train and the rail company is investigating. It was not started by the fire that has been burning in the area for days now.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Last I heard, a spark from a passing train started the fire. Don't know if that is the official line yet or not.
"Austin and Genevieve Doyle had driven to Lytton on Wednesday morning as they were getting ready to list their house there. When they went to the real estate office to sign papers, Austin said their son remarked to them that they could see a train braking and coming to a stop at the other end of town.

"I looked at it and right away, it was just 'boom,' there was tons of smoke coming from that end of town," Austin told Global News.

Their house is right below the train tracks that run through the village.

"I just thought about it immediately. It's 46 degrees out and they're putting the brakes on and it's windy," Austin added."

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I find it hard to believe the right of way wasn't denuded in mid spring when vegetation was just sprouting.
A neighbor of mine raised the same question today, pete but he also wondered why with the area having experienced the highest temperatures in the country and beyond, the town and reserves didn't do something about the tinder dry grasses themselves?

Reactions: Twin_Moose