Liberal MP William Amos apologizes after appearing stark naked during video conference

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
AN HONEST MISTAKE': Liberal MP William Amos apologizes after appearing stark naked during video conference
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Catherine Levesque and Joan Bryden
Publishing date:Apr 14, 2021 • 2 hours ago • 2 minute read • 13 Comments
Liberal MP William Amos is pictured in a file photo.
Liberal MP William Amos is pictured in a file photo. PHOTO BY WAYNE CUDDINGTON /Postmedia Network
Article content
OTTAWA — A Liberal MP was caught wearing his birthday suit in the virtual House of Commons.

William Amos, who has represented the Quebec riding of Pontiac since 2015, appeared on the screens of his fellow members of Parliament completely naked Wednesday.

A screenshot obtained by The Canadian Press shows him standing behind a desk between the Quebec and Canadian flags, his private parts hidden by what appears to be a mobile phone in one hand.

“This was an unfortunate error,” Amos said in a statement sent by email Wednesday.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

“My video was accidentally turned on as I was changing into my work clothes after going for a jog. I sincerely apologize to my colleagues in the House of Commons for this unintentional distraction. Obviously, it was an honest mistake and it won’t happen again.”

Bloc Quebecois MP Claude DeBellefeuille, the party whip, raised the incident in a point of order after question period, suggesting that parliamentary decorum requires male MPs to wear a jacket and tie — and a shirt, underwear and trousers.

Speaker Anthony Rota later thanked DeBellefeuille for her “observations” and clarified that while he had not seen anything, he checked with technicians and confirmed they saw something.

He reminded MPs to always be vigilant when they are near a camera and microphone.

Amos, the parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne, was visible only to MPs and staffers on an internal video conference feed. Because he was not speaking during question period, his image did not show up on the public feed.

Liberal whip Mark Holland said Amos was “utterly mortified.”

Holland said he was satisfied with the explanation from his caucus colleague.

“I don’t think there was any ill intent ⦠It’s certainly an unfortunate circumstance,” Holland said in an interview.

“I think it’s part of the circumstances of the world we’re in right now, where the line between our home and our office place is so blurred and trying to manage that is sometimes challenging,” he added.

“This is a warning to everybody. You’ve got to really always assume that camera is on and be very careful any time you wander anywhere near that camera that you’re dressed appropriately.”

Asked if he’ll be issuing a warning to all Liberal MPs to that effect, Holland said: “Oh, big time.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Naked MP leads to questions, speculation and jokes
Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Publishing date:Apr 14, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 2 minute read • 7 Comments
Liberal MP Will Amos apologized, saying he accidentally had his video on while changing after a jog.
Liberal MP Will Amos apologized, saying he accidentally had his video on while changing after a jog. PHOTO BY SUPPLIED PHOTO /Toronto Sun
Article content
Will Amos, is that you?

Speculation grew on Wednesday that an image of a naked MP was that of Liberal member William Amos. Amos, a backbencher from the Pontiac region of Quebec, just across the river from Ottawa, was first elected in the 2015 election.

Neither Amos, nor his staff, were answering phone calls about the incident on Wednesday afternoon but eventually, Amos admitted to the error.

“This was an unfortunate error,” Amos said in an email. “My video was accidentally turned on as I was changing into my work clothes after going for a jog. I sincerely apologize to my colleagues in the House of Commons for this unintentional distraction. Obviously, it was an honest mistake and it won’t happen again.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Speculation had been growing that Amos was the man behind the image circulating online. Obviously, though, he wasn’t adhering to the House of Commons dress code on Wednesday.

“The contemporary practice and unwritten rule require, therefore, that male Members wear a jacket, shirt and tie as standard dress,” the rules of Parliament state.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
No mention of pants, but that appears to have been considered a given before Wednesday.

The appearance of an MP in their birthday suit was first raised as a point of order by Bloc MP Claude DeBellefeuille who raised the issue of the MP not adhering to the House of Commons dress code.

“Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have tried to emphasize the importance of respecting quorum, of the dress code in the House and this today, I think we’ve set a new record,” DeBellefeuille said.

“We’ve seen a member during Question Period improperly dressed, that is unclothed. So perhaps remind the members, especially the male members that suits and ties are appropriate, or rather called for.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Xolile Ndevu, a traditional leader in South Africa, speaks during a parliamentary Zoom meeting as his naked wife appears behind him.
'WE ARE SEEING EVERYTHING': Naked wife of South African official seen during parliamentary Zoom call
A senator from Mexico blames her lack of tech knowledge for getting caught topless during a government video meeting claiming she wasn't aware the camera was rolling while she was getting changed.

Martha Lucia Micher issued an apology for the incident during an official meeting on Zoom, a step initiated by the Mexican government during the coronavirus pandemic to avoid unnecessary risk of contagion.
Mexican senator blames lack of tech knowledge for topless meeting

“We have seen that the member was in very good shape but I think that this member should be reminded of what is appropriate and to control his camera,” DeBellefeuille said.

Speaker of the House Anthony Rota rose to address the issue on Wednesday but had not come to a decision by press time.
1618451404114.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Pablo Rodriguez asks for investigation into leaked nude photo of Liberal MP William Amos
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Apr 15, 2021 • 8 hours ago • 1 minute read • 32 Comments
Liberal MP William Amos is pictured in a file photo. PHOTO BY WAYNE CUDDINGTON /Postmedia Network
Article content
OTTAWA — The government House Leader is asking the Speaker of the House of Commons to investigate the leak of a photo of a Liberal MP caught naked on camera during a virtual sitting of Parliament.

Pablo Rodriguez says the incident involving Pontiac MP William Amos was mean-spirited and suggested the sharing of the photo “could very well be criminal.”

A screenshot shows Amos standing unclothed behind a desk between the Quebec and Canadian flags with what appears to be a phone covering his private parts.

Rodriguez blasted the unknown person who leaked the photo to media, asking if they had given any thought to the ramifications on Amos’ family and friends when they shared the photo.

Procurement Minister Anita Anand also expressed concern over the sharing of the image at an event where Amos was originally scheduled to appear, but the minister said he’s instead “taking a day” and noted he has apologized for the incident as an accident.

Amos said he was embarrassed by his “unfortunate mistake” of not realizing his camera was on as he changed into his work clothes after going for a jog.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
House leader, MP William Amos press Speaker to investigate nude photo leak
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Apr 15, 2021 • 10 hours ago • 4 minute read • 39 Comments
Article content
OTTAWA — The government House leader has asked the Speaker of the House of Commons to investigate a photo leak of a Liberal MP caught naked on camera during a virtual sitting of Parliament.

Pablo Rodriguez said Thursday the incident involving Quebec MP William Amos was “mean-spirited” and has been “life-changing” for him.

He suggested there could be serious implications for the person who took and shared this intimate image on Wednesday.

“Taking a photo of someone who is changing clothes and in the nude and sharing it without their consent could very well be criminal,” Rodriguez said.

A screenshot shows Amos standing unclothed behind a desk between the Quebec and Canadian flags with what appears to be a phone covering his private parts.

During virtual House of Commons sittings, only those who speak are shown on the public feed. Therefore, Amos’s fellow MPs could see him on camera but he did not appear on the main screen.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Bloc Quebecois MP Claude DeBellefeuille, the party whip, raised the incident in a point of order after question period Wednesday, as she called for parliamentary decorum.

“It may be necessary to remind the members, especially the male ones, that a tie and jacket are obligatory, but so are a shirt, boxer shorts or pants,” DeBellefeuille said in French.

“We have seen that the member is in great physical shape, but I think members should be reminded to be careful and control the camera well.”

In a statement Wednesday, Amos said he had returned from a jog and was changing into his work clothes, and did not realize his camera was on.

“This was an unfortunate error,” said Amos, parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne.

“I sincerely apologize to my colleagues in the House of Commons for this unintentional distraction. Obviously, it was an honest mistake and it won’t happen again.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Thursday morning, Rodriguez opened the House of Commons by blasting the unidentified person who leaked the nude photo of Amos to media, asking if they had given any thought to the ramifications on Amos’s personal life when they shared it.

He called it a case of “callous disrespect.”

“Did they think of (Amos’s) family, children, friends and the fact that the internet is forever? Are we really at the point in our politics that it is acceptable to try and destroy the reputation and humiliate a colleague because someone finds an unfortunate error and unintentional mistake to be funny?” Rodriguez said.

“Our politics have taken a very dark and destructive turn if this is the case.”

Neither MPs nor staff are allowed to to take photos in the House of Commons when it is sitting — a rule that has been extended to include virtual sittings.

This includes taking screenshots of the public and non-public video feeds, Speaker Anthony Rota ruled in September 2020.

“For taking screenshots, it is the same as being in the House. If a member takes a picture, they are taking a picture, and posting it just adds to that. Members are not permitted to take photos in the House,” Rota said in an exchange on Sept. 29.

Rodriguez has asked Rota to launch an immediate investigation to determine who took the controversial photo so the House of Commons could then decide on a next course of action.

Rota said he would take the matter under advisement.

In another statement posted to Facebook on Thursday, Amos thanked people who “sent messages of moral support and encouragement in the aftermath of this most regrettable situation.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
He described the past day as having been difficult, both personally and professionally.

“It is most unfortunate that someone shared, without my consent, a photo in which I was changing my clothes,” he said, adding that he expects the Speaker to investigate.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Procurement Minister Anita Anand also expressed concern over the shared image.

Amos was scheduled to appear at an announcement with Anand Thursday morning, but she said he is instead “taking a day” and noted that he has apologized for the incident as an accident.

“I do, as a member of Parliament, have concerns that we should all, as members of Parliament, be respecting the rules of the House of Commons as well as any additional applicable law,” Anand said when asked about the incident.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

‘AN HONEST MISTAKE’: Liberal MP William Amos apologizes after appearing stark naked during video conference

Amos was described by Liberal government whip Mark Holland as an “upstanding member of the House” who made an honest mistake.

“His screen was on while in the middle of getting dressed. It could have happened to any of us,” Holland said in a statement.

“We must know who is responsible for leaking non-consensual images from a private video feed. We must also be assured that the video taken by this person is deleted so that further violations of privacy and decency are not possible.”

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Guy deserves two years in jail.

Bear in mind he makes $200,000 as a politician and is expected to be some form of role model. Problem is that he is.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Publishing date:Apr 14, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 2 minute read • 7 Comments
Liberal MP Will Amos apologized, saying he accidentally had his video on while changing after a jog.
Liberal MP Will Amos apologized, saying he accidentally had his video on while changing after a jog. PHOTO BY SUPPLIED PHOTO /Toronto Sun
Article content
Will Amos, is that you?

Speculation grew on Wednesday that an image of a naked MP was that of Liberal member William Amos. Amos, a backbencher from the Pontiac region of Quebec, just across the river from Ottawa, was first elected in the 2015 election.

Neither Amos, nor his staff, were answering phone calls about the incident on Wednesday afternoon but eventually, Amos admitted to the error.

“This was an unfortunate error,” Amos said in an email. “My video was accidentally turned on as I was changing into my work clothes after going for a jog. I sincerely apologize to my colleagues in the House of Commons for this unintentional distraction. Obviously, it was an honest mistake and it won’t happen again.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Speculation had been growing that Amos was the man behind the image circulating online. Obviously, though, he wasn’t adhering to the House of Commons dress code on Wednesday.

“The contemporary practice and unwritten rule require, therefore, that male Members wear a jacket, shirt and tie as standard dress,” the rules of Parliament state.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
No mention of pants, but that appears to have been considered a given before Wednesday.

The appearance of an MP in their birthday suit was first raised as a point of order by Bloc MP Claude DeBellefeuille who raised the issue of the MP not adhering to the House of Commons dress code.

“Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have tried to emphasize the importance of respecting quorum, of the dress code in the House and this today, I think we’ve set a new record,” DeBellefeuille said.

“We’ve seen a member during Question Period improperly dressed, that is unclothed. So perhaps remind the members, especially the male members that suits and ties are appropriate, or rather called for.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Xolile Ndevu, a traditional leader in South Africa, speaks during a parliamentary Zoom meeting as his naked wife appears behind him.
'WE ARE SEEING EVERYTHING': Naked wife of South African official seen during parliamentary Zoom call
A senator from Mexico blames her lack of tech knowledge for getting caught topless during a government video meeting claiming she wasn't aware the camera was rolling while she was getting changed.

Martha Lucia Micher issued an apology for the incident during an official meeting on Zoom, a step initiated by the Mexican government during the coronavirus pandemic to avoid unnecessary risk of contagion.
Mexican senator blames lack of tech knowledge for topless meeting

“We have seen that the member was in very good shape but I think that this member should be reminded of what is appropriate and to control his camera,” DeBellefeuille said.

Speaker of the House Anthony Rota rose to address the issue on Wednesday but had not come to a decision by press time.
View attachment 7915
What would David Niven have to say about this???

Probably.....Only a condescending liberal M P would have the nerve to appear naked on the internet to advertise shortcomings that can be hidden by a cell phone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'IT SENDS A TERRIBLE SIGNAL': Canada's naked MP speaks out on leaked photo
Canadian Press
Joan Bryden
Publishing date:Apr 17, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 4 minute read • Join the conversation
William Amos - Pontiac Liberal Pontiac.
William Amos - Pontiac Liberal Pontiac. jpg
Article content
OTTAWA — The Liberal MP who inadvertently flashed his parliamentary colleagues says the fact that a screenshot of him in the nude was leaked to the media sends a troubling message about the corrosive state of politics in Canada.

“It sends a terrible signal,” William Amos said in an interview.

“It says if there’s partisan gain to be achieved, then anything goes and that’s not acceptable,” he said, adding that it also sends a terrible message to young people.

“What does that tell our children and what does it tell society about the nature of proper behaviour in a digital society?”

The MP for the Quebec riding of Pontiac said he had just returned from a jog and was changing his clothes in his office Wednesday. He did not realize the camera on his laptop was turned on and that his image was being beamed to fellow MPs tuned in to an internal parliamentary feed of virtual proceedings in the House of Commons.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
No one watching the public feed saw Amos, since he was not addressing the Commons at the time.

He’d just sat down at his desk to watch the remainder of question period when he started getting text messages from colleagues advising him to turn off his camera.

Amos, the parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne, said at first he was hopeful that the embarrassing faux pas would go unremarked when no one raised it during question period.

When Bloc Quebecois MP Claude DeBellefeuille, the party whip, did raise it as a point of order after question period was over, he still hoped it might not blow up into a news story because she did not identify the MP involved.

Those hopes were shattered shortly afterward, however, as a screengrab of him standing naked by his desk was leaked and began circulating on social media.

His first thoughts were about the impact on his family.

“The conversation (about the incident) with my wife, which I’d been sort of delaying, had to happen right away,” Amos said. “And then you start thinking about your parents and your in-laws and your relatives ⦠Your mind is racing.”

The story, and the mortifying screenshot, has since made headlines all around the world, from Malaysia to England. Amos has been the butt of jokes from popular U.S. late-night television show hosts Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel. And his Twitter and Facebook feeds have been deluged with “an avalanche” of reaction from around the globe.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I have relatives in England who found out via The Guardian,” he said.

“It’s corrosive, it’s destructive and it’s all because of one or multiple people’s decision that this was a good idea (to leak it),” Amos said.

Amos stressed: “I’m resolutely not casting myself in a victim posture here ⦠I made a mistake. I’m accountable for not being aware that my camera was on ⦠I have to integrate that into the rest of my life.”

But Amos, an environmental lawyer before first being elected in 2015, said the issue is bigger than the impact on him personally.

He argued that the leak of the screenshot violates parliamentary rules “and without those rules you have a compromised democracy,” in which fewer people will want to run for Parliament or have trust in democratic institutions.

Parliamentary rules prohibit any taking of video or photographs of parliamentary proceedings, including the non-public portions.

Government House leader Pablo Rodriguez asked Thursday that Commons Speaker Anthony Rota investigate who took the screenshot of Amos and who shared it publicly and suggested there could be serious implications.

“Taking a photo of someone who is changing clothes and in the nude and sharing it without their consent could very well be criminal,” Rodriguez said at the time.

Rota took the request under advisement.

Amos said he’s determined not to let the international humiliation distract him from his job. He attended meetings with two snowmobile groups in his riding Wednesday evening and took part in an announcement Friday about an $87-million investment in rural internet service.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

But he noted that the same thing could happen to any MP, including someone struggling with mental health issues or who is more vulnerable than he is.

“It wouldn’t be fair to any parliamentarian to have their legacy, within their constituency, across Canada and internationally, for their legacy to be the naked parliamentarian. That’s grossly unfair,” he said.

“Maybe I can bear up better than others. Maybe another parliamentarian wouldn’t be able to integrate this tsunami of attention on one’s private self as well as me.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

'AN HONEST MISTAKE': Liberal MP William Amos apologizes after appearing stark naked during video conference

That’s why, he said, it is so important to investigate and make sure such a thing never happens again.

To let it drop would be “an invitation to corrosive, democratically destructive behaviour.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bloc Quebecois MP apologizes for taking nude photo of Liberal MP William Amos
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Apr 21, 2021 • 6 hours ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
Bloc MP Sebastien Lemire.
Bloc MP Sebastien Lemire. PHOTO BY SCREENSHOT /Twitter
Article content
OTTAWA — A Bloc Quebecois MP apologized Wednesday for taking a screenshot of a Liberal colleague who inadvertently appeared nude during virtual proceedings in the House of Commons last week.

Bloc MP Sebastien Lemire rose on a point of order to apologize for breaching parliamentary rules, which prohibit taking photos or video of proceedings.

He did not specifically name the MP involved — Liberal William Amos, a fellow Quebecer who represents the Pontiac riding.

“Today I would like to apologize to the House for breaking the rules by taking a photograph of a colleague during question period on April 14,” Lemire said in French.

Lemire said he’s already apologized personally to Amos but added: “I nevertheless want to reiterate it publicly, to him personally, to his family, to colleagues and to anyone I may have offended.”

“I have no idea how that photo made its way into the media,” he added.

Amos declined to comment on Lemire’s apology.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
But Liberal whip Mark Holland said the apology, while welcome, doesn’t resolve the issue. He said the Bloc is so far refusing to reveal with whom Lemire shared the screenshot, frustrating attempts to find out who leaked it publicly.

“It’s essential we know where Mr. Lemire sent this photo,” Holland said in an interview. “We do not accept that he is not going to say where he sent this.”

Passing it along to the media “was potentially a criminal action” and “a horrible violation of not only the member’s privilege as it relates to the rules and bylaws of the House, but a horrible violation of human dignity,” Holland added.

“This is an image that has been shared around the world, has become a joke, a punchline in late-night talk shows in other countries.”

Lemire and the Bloc declined further comment Wednesday.

The government has asked House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota to investigate the matter. Asked if Liberals have also asked for a police investigation, Holland said “we’re now reviewing all of our options.”

Rota thanked Lemire for his apology Wednesday. He said he’ll come back to the House later with his findings.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

William Amos - Pontiac Liberal Pontiac.
'IT SENDS A TERRIBLE SIGNAL': Canada's naked MP speaks out on leaked photo

Amos has said he didn’t realize his camera was on when he was changing his clothes after a jog.

The image of a naked Amos was beamed to MPs tuned in to the internal parliamentary feed for that day’s question period, but it could not be seen on the public feed since Amos was not addressing the Commons at the time.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Government House leader Pablo Rodriguez called for the investigation last week, describing the incident as “mean-spirited” and “life-changing” for Amos.

In an interview with The Canadian Press last week, Amos said the incident sends a “terrible signal” about the corrosive nature of politics in Canada and to young people about the propriety of sharing of embarrassing, intimate photos that last forever on the internet.

New Democrat MP Leah Gazan tweeted her disapproval of Lemire’s actions.

“No words. Such a disrespectful and cruel action.”

Holland said there was an “incredibly short” period of time between when the photo was taken and when it was publicly disseminated, suggesting only a few people would have been in a position to share it with the media.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Liberal MP Amos again caught on camera during virtual House of Commons
Canadian Press
Publishing date:May 27, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Article content
OTTAWA — Liberal MP William Amos has once again been caught unawares on webcam.

“Last night, while attending House of Commons proceedings virtually, in a non-public setting, I urinated without realizing I was on camera,” the Quebec MP wrote in a statement posted to Twitter late Thursday night.

Canadian pre-orders for Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric vehicle open in June
Trackerdslogo
“I am deeply embarrassed by my actions and the distress they may have caused anybody who witnessed them,” wrote Amos. “While accidental and not visible to the public, this was completely unacceptable, and I apologize unreservedly.”

He added that he is temporarily stepping away from his role as parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne and from his work as a member of the House of Commons veterans’ affairs committee so that he can get help.

“I will continue to represent my constituents and I’m grateful to be their voice in Parliament,” wrote Amos, who has represented the riding of Pontiac since 2015. “I am deeply appreciative for the support of my staff and the love of my family.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Last month, Amos made headlines around the world after he appeared naked on an internal parliamentary feed of virtual question period.

Amos has said he was changing his clothes after a jog and did not realize his laptop camera was turned on and Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire later apologized for taking a screenshot of the moment.

Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire later apologized in the House of Commons for taking a screenshot of the moment, saying he had no idea how the photo quickly made its way to the media and ended up circulating online around the globe.

At a meeting earlier this month of the all-party board of internal economy — the governing body of the House — Liberal whip Mark Holland said Lemire should reveal where he sent the image and what his intent was.

That board was set to meet again earlier Thursday, but the meeting ended up being put off.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Ya know, it's funny listening to these twats whine about how Canadian politics is becoming corrosive. Yeah, no shit and we've seen nothing but 5 1/2 years of corrosive, corrupt politics from those same twats.

• Love
Reactions: Mowich

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Tories blast William Amos for relieving himself on camera in his second Zoom incident
Canadian Press
Christopher Reynolds
Publishing date:May 28, 2021 • 18 hours ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
Article content
OTTAWA — The Conservatives say an incident where Liberal MP William Amos relieved himself while on camera during virtual proceedings was “shocking, reckless” and an “affront to the dignity” of the House of Commons.

The moment marks the MP’s second Zoom lapse after he made headlines around the world last month when he appeared naked on an internal parliamentary feed of virtual question period.

Amos said in a statement posted to Twitter last night that he “urinated without realizing (he) was on camera” during a virtual session of the House on Wednesday evening.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

He apologized for what he said was “accidental” and could not be viewed by the public, but stated the action was nonetheless “completely unacceptable.”

Conservative MP Karen Vecchio, deputy House leader for the Opposition, agreed with the latter part of that statement, saying the incident put lawmakers “in a very uncomfortable position” and amounted to Amos relieving himself in the Commons itself.

“To turn on your camera and to log into the House’s Zoom feed is the same as opening one of those doors behind me and walking down to any one of the 338 seats in this majestic room,” Vecchio said from the floor.

She rejected Amos’s characterization of the incident as occurring in a “non-public setting,” and said it forms a pattern of behaviour revealing that the Liberals “failed in their duty to ensure a safe work environment following the first incident.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Vecchio said she was prepared to put forward “an appropriate motion” if the Speaker agrees that Amos’s action amounts to a prima facie case of contempt.

Carol Hughes, who as assistant deputy speaker was presiding over proceedings, said she would review the situation and come back with a response to the House.

After the incident last month, Amos said he was changing his clothes after a jog and did not realize his laptop camera was turned on.

Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire later apologized for taking a screenshot of the moment, saying he had no idea how the photo quickly made its way to the media and ended up circulating online around the globe.

The leaking of the image prompted fiery condemnation from the governing Liberals. Government House leader Pablo Rodriguez called for an investigation and described the incident as “mean-spirited” and “life-changing” for Amos.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
At a meeting earlier this month of the all-party board of internal economy — the governing body of the House — Liberal whip Mark Holland said Lemire should reveal where he sent the image and what his intent was.

That board was set to meet again Thursday, but the meeting ended up being put off.

“Shortly before the meeting, the Liberals asked to postpone without giving a specific reason. The request was unusual, but we were willing to accommodate,” Conservative Blake Richards, chief Opposition whip, said in an email.

The issue should be dealt with at the procedure and House affairs Committee, he said.

Amos, a Quebec MP, said he is temporarily stepping away from his role as parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne and from his committee work so that he can get help.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Charles-Eric Lepine, chief of staff to Rodriguez, referred back to Amos’s statement when reached for comment on Friday.

“It is important to have a safe workplace environment for everyone on Parliament Hill and we take these matters extremely seriously,” he said in a statement.

In a written statement, Vecchio questioned the Liberals’ claim that Amos accidentally exposed himself in this latest incident.

“This is the second time Mr. Amos has been caught exposing himself to his colleagues in the House, and the House of Commons, virtual or otherwise, must be free of this type of unacceptable behaviour.”

• Wow
Reactions: Danbones

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Liberal MP Amos again caught on camera during virtual House of Commons
Canadian Press
Publishing date:May 27, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Article content
OTTAWA — Liberal MP William Amos has once again been caught unawares on webcam.

“Last night, while attending House of Commons proceedings virtually, in a non-public setting, I urinated without realizing I was on camera,” the Quebec MP wrote in a statement posted to Twitter late Thursday night.

Canadian pre-orders for Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric vehicle open in June
Trackerdslogo
“I am deeply embarrassed by my actions and the distress they may have caused anybody who witnessed them,” wrote Amos. “While accidental and not visible to the public, this was completely unacceptable, and I apologize unreservedly.”

He added that he is temporarily stepping away from his role as parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne and from his work as a member of the House of Commons veterans’ affairs committee so that he can get help.

“I will continue to represent my constituents and I’m grateful to be their voice in Parliament,” wrote Amos, who has represented the riding of Pontiac since 2015. “I am deeply appreciative for the support of my staff and the love of my family.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Last month, Amos made headlines around the world after he appeared naked on an internal parliamentary feed of virtual question period.

Amos has said he was changing his clothes after a jog and did not realize his laptop camera was turned on and Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire later apologized for taking a screenshot of the moment.

Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire later apologized in the House of Commons for taking a screenshot of the moment, saying he had no idea how the photo quickly made its way to the media and ended up circulating online around the globe.

That board was set to meet again earlier Thursday, but the meeting ended up being put off.
First he appears naked then he's urinating in public...........I think this fellow is right taking time off.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
First he appears naked then he's urinating in public...........I think this fellow is right taking time off.
No doubt you are certainly right about that! ...but are we going to be paying for that AND his replacement?
:(

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Speaker rules conduct of urinating MP constitutes prima facie case of contempt
Canadian Press
Joan Bryden
Publishing date:Jun 07, 2021 • 1 day ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
Article content
OTTAWA — Speaker Anthony Rota has ruled that the conduct of a Liberal MP who urinated during virtual parliamentary proceedings constitutes a prima facie case of contempt of the House of Commons.

In a ruling Monday, Rota said at first glance Quebec MP William Amos breached the privileges of his fellow MPs last month when he urinated while his computer camera was on — an incident that was broadcast on the internal parliamentary feed of proceedings and not seen publicly.

U.K. raids reveal illegal cannabis in popular Dairy Milk packaging

Trackerdslogo
As such, Rota said the matter is deserving of further examination by the procedure and House affairs committee.

He noted that Amos has apologized, saying he didn’t realize his camera was on, and that he has stepped aside from his role as a parliamentary secretary and promised to seek unspecified “assistance.”

Nevertheless, Rota ruled: “There is no dispute about the facts in question, and they constitute a serious breach of the rules of decorum and an affront against the dignity of the House.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The ruling was in response to a question of privilege raised by Conservative MP Karen Vecchio.

Immediately after Rota’s ruling, Vecchio moved that the matter be referred to the procedure and House affairs committee. Her motion passed without a vote and none of Amos’s fellow Liberals raised any objections.

That was in stark contrast to the way Liberals rallied around Amos in April, when he was caught naked on the internal parliamentary video feed. In that incident, Amos said he was changing his clothes after a jog and didn’t realize his camera was on.

A screenshot of a naked Amos was quickly leaked to the media and broadcast around the globe. Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire admitted taking the screenshot but said he didn’t know how it wound up in the media.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The Liberals had been pressuring Lemire to reveal with whom he shared the photo and were even threatening a possible police investigation into the publication of an intimate photo without consent. But they abruptly dropped that approach once word of Amos urinating on camera came to light.

On Monday, Rota reminded MPs that virtual proceedings are “an extension of the proceedings of the House and that their conduct must respect our rules and practices, even if they are participating remotely.”

“I want to reiterate, yet again, the importance of everyone adjusting to the temporary measures put in place in response to the pandemic and exercising continued vigilance to prevent such incidents from recurring. As soon as a member connects to a virtual sitting and opens their camera, they are considered to be, for all intents and purposes, in the House.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Conservative whip Blake Richards commended Rota’s ruling.

“Obviously, when we have a case of someone literally exposing themselves to the House on two different occasions, that is a pretty serious matter,” Richards said.

He suggested it’s part of a pattern of “degradation of decorum and behaviour” that has occurred since the advent of hybrid sittings — where most MPs participate virtually in Commons proceedings while only a handful are physically present in the chamber — in a bid to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“I think people get more relaxed and more comfortable because they are at home or in their own offices and sometimes forget that they are still in proceedings of the House of Commons,” Richards said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 7, 2021.