Kobe Bryant dead

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
In memory of:

Kobe Bryant

@kobebryant
A #POTUS whose name alone creates division and anger. Whose words inspire dissension and hatred can't possibly "Make America Great Again"

9:23 AM - Sep 23, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy
176K people are talking about this
Read more:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is precisely why everyone hates the media. A man that is beloved to the World, and his 9 year old daughter are killed in a terrible plane crash, and this idiot immediately brings up a rape charge nearly 20 years ago, that he was not even convicted of? How insensitive can one get?

Beloved to the world?

Most people in the world have never heard of him.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How can a reporter talk about Kobe Bryant and not mention the rape case?
It was probably one of the main factors in the development of the #metoo movement
But he is a heeroo. Not PC to bring up his past unless the twitter sphere finds out he voted republican.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yes they most likely have. Any place Basketball is popular (which is most of Europe, Australia, and North America), the majority of people have heard of him. IN North America, if you have not heard of him, you may be living under a rock. Aside from Michael Jordan and Shaq, he probably would be next in line in terms of popularity, in terms of Basketball players over the last 25 years.

I rather doubt most humans have heard of Mr Bryant.

As for saying basketball is popular in most of Europe, again I disagree.

Football is the religion of most of Europe. We do have the odd basketball hoop hither and thither but they tend to go rusty and unused as kids play football underneath.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I feel bad for the family - to lose their dad & a sibling is horrible. I also feel sad as the 7 month and 3 year old likely won't remember either one of them growing up.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Basketball is not that popular in the UK, unlike mainland Europe, so I can see why you are saying what you are. The same cannot be said for Spain, Portugal, the Balkans, France, Greece, the former Soviet Union (especially the Baltic States), and possibly Italy.
Nobody ever said basketball was bigger than soccer.

Come on. You're being daft. Basketball isn't popular in those countries. Spain is the country of Real Madrid and Barcelona. They've got no time for silly games like basketball.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You need to travel outside of the UK

I don't need to travel outside of the UK to know that in countries like Spain football is the national religion, like Islam in Iran. I know that just by being a British football fan. Football is a religion in Spain and France, just as in Britain. Spaniards worship the likes of Ronaldo and Messi, not Bryant.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BBC sorry for confusing LeBron James for Kobe Bryant during live segment
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Published:
January 27, 2020
Updated:
January 27, 2020 1:36 PM EST
BBC officials have apologized after mistakenly airing footage of basketball star Lebron James during a segment on the death of fellow National Basketball Association (NBA) player Kobe Bryant.
The 41-year-old and his daughter, Gianna, 13, were travelling to one of her basketball games in his private helicopter when it crashed in Calabasas on Sunday morning. Both were among a reported nine people who lost their lives.
However, during coverage of the tragic incident, BBC’s News At Ten programme aired footage of James beating Bryant’s career points tally, and failed to explain why viewers were seeing James on screen rather than Bryant.
Viewers pointed out the error online, criticizing the BBC for confusing the two prominent black basketball stars.
At the end of the bulletin, newsreader Reeta Chakrabarti apologized for the earlier on-screen error saying: “In our coverage of the death of Kobe Bryant, in one section of the report, we mistakenly showed pictures of another basketball player, LeBron James.
“We do apologize for the error,” she added.
Paul Royall, editor of BBC News at Six and Ten, also posted an apology on Twitter, saying the programme “mistakenly used pictures of LeBron James in one section of the report”.
He added: “We apologize for this human error which fell below our usual standards on the programme.”
Numerous stars have taken to social media to share tributes to the victims of the crash, with the Recording Academy’s interim chief Harvey Mason, Jr. holding a “moment of silence” as he opened the 2020 Grammy Awards on Sunday.
http://torontosun.com/entertainment...ron-james-for-kobe-bryant-during-live-segment

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
On Sunday night I was round at my parents' house. I was sat in the living room with my dad eating Black Forest Gateau as we watched a classic episode of Poirot. My mum was in the dining room on the PC and eating Black Forest Gateau when we heard her say "That American footballer Kobe Bryant had died in a helicopter crash." So she'd actually heard of him, even though she doesn't like sports, apart from the gymnastics in the Olympics every four years.

I just thought: "Was he one of those negroes who co-present the Superbowl live on Channel 4 (or is it Channel 5?) in the early hours of the morning every year, including that one with the American accent even though he's British?"

It turns out he wasn't.

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Evan Rachel Wood slammed for calling Kobe Bryant 'rapist' hours after his death
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Published:
January 28, 2020
Updated:
January 28, 2020 11:39 AM EST
Top 10 Kobe Bryant Moments
featured by
Evan Rachel Wood was criticized after she took aim at the late basketball player Kobe Bryant following his shock death on Sunday, calling the NBA player a “rapist”.
The Los Angeles Lakers legend was just 41 when he was killed in a helicopter crash in California on Sunday, alongside eight other passengers, including his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna.
http://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/status/1221542230457905152
While tributes poured in from stars worldwide, Westworld star Wood attracted criticism for unearthing sexual assault accusations made against him almost 17 years earlier by a 19-year-old Colorado hotel employee.
“He was a sports hero. He was also a rapist,” the 32-year-old tweeted. “And all of these truths can exist simultaneously.”
Bryant was never prosecuted over the claims and, taking to the comments of the post, fans of the star were quick to condemn her over the “attention-seeking” post.
Story continues below
And this is where the Me too movement has gotten out of control… attacking a man who literally just died less than 24 hours ago, with his little girl!
Was it proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he raped somebody? Did he go to jail? Was he charged?
— Catherine (Kathleen) Curtin (@kathleencurtinc) January 27, 2020
“And this is where the Me too movement has gotten out of control … attacking a man who literally just died less than 24 hours ago, with his little girl!” one fan wrote, while a second added, “These things need to be taken seriously and your (sic) just looking for attention after him and his daughter JUST died. Wow.”
Another user called the star a “narcissistic disappointment”.
Wood tried to calm the criticism on Monday, asking for “kindness and respect to all.”
http://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/status/1221878619485532160
“Beloveds, this was not a condemnation or a celebration. It was a reminder that everyone will have different feelings and there is room for us all to grieve together instead of fighting,” she wrote, saying that “everyone has lost”.
You don't get to cover that bullshit you did with third rate greeting card platitudes. It's like y'all have a compulsion to shoehorn yourselves into other people's pain and running back to victimhood when checked.
— Torraine Walker (@TorraineWalker) January 27, 2020
However, the tweet only prompted further outrage, with one fan snapping back, “You don’t get to cover that bulls— you did with third rate greeting card platitudes.”
http://torontosun.com/entertainment...ling-kobe-bryant-rapist-hours-after-his-death

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Firefighters who photographed Kobe Bryant crash scene to be fired
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:May 12, 2021 • 2 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant jumps for a rebound against the Denver Nuggets during in Los Angeles May 21, 2009.
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant jumps for a rebound against the Denver Nuggets during in Los Angeles May 21, 2009. PHOTO BY LUCY NICHOLSON /REUTERS
Article content
Two Los Angeles County firefighters accused of taking pictures of Kobe Bryant’s helicopter crash scene have been notified that they would be fired and a third was given a suspension notice, according to a filing in a lawsuit brought by his widow.

Bryant, 41, a retired, 18-time all-star for the National Basketball Association’s Los Angeles Lakers, was killed along with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and all seven others aboard a helicopter that crashed in foggy weather north of Los Angeles on Jan. 26, 2020.

His widow, Vanessa Bryant, sued Los Angeles County following media reports that first responders took pictures of the victims and showed them to other people in situations unrelated to the crash investigation.

Bryant first sued the Sheriff’s Department, alleging deputies used their personal cellphones to take pictures of the dead “for their own personal gratification.” The suit was later amended to add the county fire department, accusing firefighters of similar acts.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
A filing in the lawsuit, dated Monday and reported by NBC News on Wednesday, makes reference to fire department investigation reports sent to the three disciplined firefighters last year.

“The letters announce an ‘intention to discharge’ two of the recipients and an ‘intention to suspend’ the third,” said the document that Bryant’s lawyers filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

The filing said it only referenced the letters, rather than attach them as exhibits, to respect privacy concerns raised by the defendants and to avoid further paperwork.

The fire department did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment. NBC News said a spokesman for the department declined to comment because litigation was pending and he could not confirm whether the firefighters were fired or suspended.

Vanessa Bryant has also filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the operator of the helicopter.