Justin Trudeau justifies refugee delay, saying Liberals want to get it right

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Do you think Canada should help Canadians? Which Canadians? How?
Well, an example would be reinforcing healthcare. I have no idea what it is like in your neck of the woods but healthcare is a disaster around here. BC's "Health Authorities" are penny wise and dollar stupid. The government spent who knows how much money implementing teleconferencing and yet spends wads more chauffering patients around in ambulances (both land and air) for visits. One EMT was telling me that he drove from Nelson to Grand Forks or Greenwood transfered a patient to a Kelowna-based ambulance to have the patient in Kelowna for a 20 minute conversation with an anesthesiologist and then the patient was chauffered right back to Nelson. It is almost a 5 hour trip one way.
I have heard similar stories from my daughter, the nurse. Ans I have heard stories from folks in other provinces that indicate Canada's healthcare in general is in a sad state. And the baby boomers have not yet even hit the healthcare system en masse.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Ah, the good old logical fallacy usually named as "argumentum ad populum". Your attempt at reasonable discussion is pretty sad, Cannuck.
The vast majority was once convinced that the planet was flat, too.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well, an example would be reinforcing healthcare. I have no idea what it is like in your neck of the woods but healthcare is a disaster around here. BC's "Health Authorities" are penny wise and dollar stupid. The government spent who knows how much money implementing teleconferencing and yet spends wads more chauffering patients around in ambulances (both land and air) for visits. One EMT was telling me that he drove from Nelson to Grand Forks or Greenwood transfered a patient to a Kelowna-based ambulance to have the patient in Kelowna for a 20 minute conversation with an anesthesiologist and then the patient was chauffered right back to Nelson. It is almost a 5 hour trip one way.
I have heard similar stories from my daughter, the nurse. Ans I have heard stories from folks in other provinces that indicate Canada's healthcare in general is in a sad state. And the baby boomers have not yet even hit the healthcare system en masse.

OK, so once we increase healthcare spending, we can help refugees, right?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The vast majority was once convinced that the planet was flat, too.

And everybody but the silliest know the world is not flat just like the everybody but the silliest understand that Canadians are among the most fortunate on the planet.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And everybody but the silliest know the world is not flat
Yes. After some deep thought, someone convinced people the planet is an oblate spheroid.
just like the everybody but the silliest understand that Canadians are among the most fortunate on the planet.
So that means that we should be happy and content and not make it even better? I see.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yes. After some deep thought, someone convinced people the planet is an oblate spheroid. So that means that we should be happy and content and not make it even better? I see.

No, it means we should try and horde the blessing for ourselves

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They are limiting entrance to "families" ... specifically, to families without men or to men that are in families.

Weren't the Khadrs a family just like that, too?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Yes. So that means that we should be happy and content and not make it even better? I see.

How much better do we need it? Sometimes it is better to quit while you are ahead and to not 'fix it if it ain't broke'!

I remember the '60s when life was really good for Canadians. There were jobs for everyone who wanted to work. We all had pretty good living conditions, our crime rate was much lower than it is today and mostly everyone was contented and happy.
The changes that were made in the following couple of decades are what brought about the serious problems and discord that we are seeing now in our society.
I can't help but think that the changes toward betterment came too fast and many of them were unnecessary and unwise, implemented by greedy politicians whose motives were their own interests.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They are limiting entrance to "families" ... specifically, to families without men or to men that are in families.

So all the single male babyboomers might get a dowry in exchange for a marriage that comes with a homesteading permit. Any extra if it is grandma??

I remember the '60s when life was really good for Canadians. There were jobs for everyone who wanted to work. We all had pretty good living conditions, our crime rate was much lower than it is today and mostly everyone was contented and happy..
Sum it up by saying a paycheck lasted longer than the gap between paydays.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
How much better do we need it? Sometimes it is better to quit while you are ahead and to not 'fix it if it ain't broke'!
I agree. But healthcare (for instance) in Canada is definitely NOT "not broke".

I remember the '60s when life was really good for Canadians. There were jobs for everyone who wanted to work. We all had pretty good living conditions, our crime rate was much lower than it is today and mostly everyone was contented and happy.
The changes that were made in the following couple of decades are what brought about the serious problems and discord that we are seeing now in our society.
Funny. I thought you said nothing was "broke" so it did not need fixing.
I can't help but think that the changes toward betterment came too fast and many of them were unnecessary and unwise, implemented by greedy politicians whose motives were their own interests.
Greedy politicians? Is there another kind?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I agree. But healthcare (for instance) in Canada is definitely NOT "not broke".

Funny. I thought you said nothing was "broke" so it did not need fixing.
Greedy politicians? Is there another kind?

Well I think healthcare could use some fixing. It may not be 'broke' but it is badly bent.

I didn't say nothing was broken. There could have been some improvements to opportunities for the disadvantaged and poverty stricken. But the emphasis then was put on developing 'feel good' social program which began the plunge into deficit and debt. They were not necessary at the time and were purely for the purpose of garnering votes. Greedy politicians indeed!

No. There were men in the Khadr family; a father and son, both of whom were actually terrorists. The rehabilitation (?) and protection of the son has since cost us uncountable million of $s.