Justin Trudeau home break-in: Man entered in error so no charges

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Ottawa police say no charges will be laid after Justin Trudeau's home was entered into while his family slept, because the man spotted in video surveillance "entered the wrong home by accident" while he was drunk.

The 19-year-old turned himself in to police the same day investigators released surveillance video footage of him that was recorded in Trudeau's neighbourhood, said Ottawa police break-and-enter unit Staff Sgt. Kal Ghadban.

The man told police he was heavily intoxicated at the time and that he had entered the wrong home by accident. He was trying to get into a friend's house, Ghadban said.

The man found kitchen knives not far from where he entered the home and he briefly thought about stealing them, Ghadban said. Instead, the man left a note for the homeowners saying he could have stolen things, and that they should lock their doors.

He placed five or six knives on the floor next to the note.

"In his mind, he was leaving a note of apology and remorse," Ghadban said.

"There was a momentary thought process that before he left he would actually take some items with him, which was very short-lived. He immediately decided against that."

The man had no criminal record or contacts with police prior to the incident, Ghadban added. The facts of the case did not meet the threshold for criminal charges to be laid.

more....

Justin Trudeau home break-in: Man entered in error so no charges - Ottawa - CBC News

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in this decision! Justice is lax enough in Canada and I'll admit this is the first time my support for Justin as PM is wavering.

19 year old, highly intoxicated (but not so much so that he can have some kind of remorse?) lays knives out on the floor with a note saying 'you should keep your doors locked' says he mistook Justin Trudeau's house for another....and all he gets is a "tsk tsk" ?

What value does this place on his wife and children?

(I'm surprised I am the first to post this...or did I miss one?)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Maybe the last person out that morning left the door unlocked. Anyway who would live in a neighbourhood where youhave to lock doors when you are home?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe the last person out that morning left the door unlocked. Anyway who would live in a neighbourhood where youhave to lock doors when you are home?

It's getting to be a fact of life in most places.

Ottawa police say no charges will be laid after Justin Trudeau's home was entered into while his family slept, because the man spotted in video surveillance "entered the wrong home by accident" while he was drunk.

The 19-year-old turned himself in to police the same day investigators released surveillance video footage of him that was recorded in Trudeau's neighbourhood, said Ottawa police break-and-enter unit Staff Sgt. Kal Ghadban.

The man told police he was heavily intoxicated at the time and that he had entered the wrong home by accident. He was trying to get into a friend's house, Ghadban said.

The man found kitchen knives not far from where he entered the home and he briefly thought about stealing them, Ghadban said. Instead, the man left a note for the homeowners saying he could have stolen things, and that they should lock their doors.

"There was a momentary thought process that before he left he would actually take some items with him, which was very short-lived. He immediately decided against that."

The man had no criminal record or contacts with police prior to the incident, Ghadban added. The facts of the case did not meet the threshold for criminal charges to be laid.

more....

Justin Trudeau home break-in: Man entered in error so no charges - Ottawa - CBC News

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in this decision! Justice is lax enough in Canada and I'll admit this is the first time my support for Justin as PM is wavering.

19 year old, highly intoxicated (but not so much so that he can have some kind of remorse?) lays knives out on the floor with a note saying 'you should keep your doors locked' says he mistook Justin Trudeau's house for another....and all he gets is a "tsk tsk" ?

One of the biggest considerations before laying charges is Intent. I read in a law book years ago you can't be charged with a crime you didn't mean to commit. (I believe the Motor Vehicle Act is exempt)

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
It's getting to be a fact of life in most places.

One of the biggest considerations before laying charges is Intent. I read in a law book years ago you can't be charged with a crime you didn't mean to commit. (I believe the Motor Vehicle Act is exempt)

Okay, so will this kid go to rehab? Therapy?

You don't lay knives on the floor with a note telling people to lock doors as a joke if you are any normal person. Add to that entering someone else's house regardless of whose it is. AND use alcohol as an excuse to say "oopsie, I didn't intend to strike terror into the hearts and minds of the occupants of this house"

"Oh.....okay then....be on your way you Raggamuffin"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You don't lay knives on the floor with a note telling people to lock doors as a joke if you are any normal person. Add to that entering someone else's house regardless of whose it is. AND use alcohol as an excuse to say "oopsie, I didn't intend to strike terror into the hearts and minds of the occupants of this house"

I think if it was me I'd be so bloody embarrassed, I wouldn't touch a drink for 6 months and then after that I'd be very careful! -:)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

You might if you were drunk. Some ideas sound real good after you add a whole bunch of alcohol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

more....

You are the first but not the only one. I would have thrown the book at this drunk. The only reason he gave himself up was because the security video had a photo of him. Just the idea of this dork fiddling with knives in my house while the family slept sickens me......

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
this whole shiny business sounds almost too bullsh!tty to be true.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all not laying charges has nothing to do with Harper if he even suggested
it he could find himself in trouble.
As for this guy sounds like a drunk to me who the hell would leave a letter and
play with knives?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
they should be shaming the silly bitch and her 'friend' that left the door unlocked...never mind the shiny happy pony boy...ask that wonderful super modern woman of his, why, why did you leave the goddamn door unlocked...maybe she's an unfit mother.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
they should be shaming the silly bitch and her 'friend' that left the door unlocked...never mind the shiny happy pony boy...ask that wonderful super modern woman of his, why, why did you leave the goddamn door unlocked...maybe she's an unfit mother.

Actually, I don't even know how that qualified as a news event in the first place. Jr.'s reaction to it was more akin to what you would expect about news of WW3. Right then and there I decided Jr. isn't a guy you would want taking charge in a crisis.