June is National Indigenous History Month

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Two events happen in June that are historical.

Pride, sadly, does get the more 'screen' time.

But it is also Indigenous History Month. So, gonna share this that came across my FB feed.

It's Indigenous History Month. Time to learn.
Dreamcatchers are a big part of Indigenous cultures. Understanding why non-Indigenous people shouldn't profit off of it is an important step in honouring Indigenous history and heritage.
When non-Indigenous people make and sell dreamcatchers, it exemplifies the dismissiveness of the deeper understanding of Indigenous culture and the borrowing of Indigenous spirituality to make a profit for settlers.
The act of creating a dreamcatcher is sacred and an important traditional facet for the Ojibwe. If you'd like to purchase a dreamcatcher, show respect and understanding by supporting an Indigenous business.
Learn more here: https://unlearn.com

Reminds me I need to finish my art piece in honor of this month.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My wife made a dream catcher well over 20 years ago. I doubt the rules behind dream catchers is the same all across Canada, but my understanding is here they are supposed to be gifted to you or home made.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My wife made a dream catcher well over 20 years ago. I doubt the rules behind dream catchers is the same all across Canada, but my understanding is here they are supposed to be gifted to you or home made.

From what my understanding is, yeah.

Though the big issue now is they're being made in China and other places like it, which sort of takes away from the reason they're made. (I avoid the 'cultural appropriation' issue some are claiming it as)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

"This Heritage Minute follows the life of Onondaga long-distance runner Gagwe:gih, whose name means “Everything.” Known around the world as Tom Longboat, he was one of the most celebrated athletes of the early 20th century. "

At the end of this National Indigenous History Month, I thought it was apt to post this link; the new Heritage Minute for Gagwe:gih. We need more of these out there.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Cool. Thanks.
Thought you might like that. I saw it a couple weeks ago.

I love the Heritage Moments and am glad they're putting more variety into it.

This Heritage Minute follows Chloe Cooley, an enslaved Black woman in Upper Canada in 1793. Her acts of resistance in the face of violence led to Canada’s first legislation limiting slavery.

This one was pretty neat too.

Chloe Cooley was an enslaved Black woman in Upper Canada in the late 18th century. Under the watchful eye of estate owner Adam Vrooman, Chloe engaged in acts of resistance however she could: by refusing to work or temporarily leaving the property without permission. With rumours of abolition circulating, Vrooman and his men kidnapped Chloe on March 14, 1793, and violently forced her on a boat across the Niagara River to the United States. There, he believed he could still profit from what he considered his investment. Witnesses, including the free man Peter Martin, later testified to Chloe’s resistance in the face of her violent removal, leading to Canada’s first legislation limiting slavery. Despite this, slavery in Canada was not abolished until 1834.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Though it's past the month, this came up on my FB feed.