Is Vegetarianism/Veganism The New Religion in N.A.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
CTV.ca | What is the best diet for human beings?

"People have lived and thrived on high-protein, high-fat diets (the Inuit of Greenland); on low-protein, high-carb diets (the indigenous peoples of southern Africa); on diets high in raw milk and cream (the people of the Loetschental Valley in Switzerland); diets high in saturated fat (the Trobriand Islanders) and even on diets in which animal blood is considered a staple (the Massai of Kenya and Tanzania). And folks have thrived on these diets without the ravages of degenerative diseases that are so epidemic in modern life--heart disease, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative diseases, osteoporosis and cancer."
Yup, the diffference being that those people evolved eating a specific diet. Take an Inuit, EG, and subject her/him to a vegan diet and they wouldn't fare so well. the rest of us just eat anything and everything, particularly processed foods, and can't escape ailments.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
God intended for Adam and Eve to be vegans.

True, but that was a pre-Mosaic law. It was abrogated for Noah. And Jesus even abrogated the Mosaic dietary laws.

I'm certainly not saying that veganism or any other form of vegetarianism is proscribed in most religions. In many religions, it's more subtle than that in that the Founder teaches compassion for animals, or might even discourage eating meat, while not explicitely banning its consumption.

This thus leaves it up to the individual believer to try to understand it. Some understand it to be a subtle way of saying that God would prefer we not eat meat if we can avoid it at all; while others understand it to simply mean that as long as the animal is alive, it should be treated with compassion, but not necessarily that we can't kill it.

One site that takes the former view is:

Society of Ethical and Religious Vegetarians

I don't necessarily agree with everything on it, but it's one site to start with. Or alternatively:

International Vegetarian Union - Religion and Vegetarianism

Again, I might not necessarily agree with everything on that site, but it does give perspectives on the former point of view.

Personally, I subscribe to the former and so prefer not to eat meat. However, I also recognize that though the founders of many religions did teach compassion for animals, they never explicitely prohibited eating meat to the best of my knowledge, so I don't see how we could argue that meat consumption is prohibited, except maybe in some religions I'm not familiar with.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yup, the diffference being that those people evolved eating a specific diet. Take an Inuit, EG, and subject her/him to a vegan diet and they wouldn't fare so well.

Are you sure? Unless a medical ailment should require them to eat meat, I'm sure an Inuit, assuming he had easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables of course, could adapt just as easily as us to a vegan or vegetarian diet. Inversely, I'm sure a white man living in an isolated area where vegetarian is sparce would find adapting to a vegetarian diet to be tough. I think it would have more to do with geography than anything else.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
CTV.ca | What is the best diet for human beings?

"People have lived and thrived on high-protein, high-fat diets (the Inuit of Greenland); on low-protein, high-carb diets (the indigenous peoples of southern Africa); on diets high in raw milk and cream (the people of the Loetschental Valley in Switzerland); diets high in saturated fat (the Trobriand Islanders) and even on diets in which animal blood is considered a staple (the Massai of Kenya and Tanzania). And folks have thrived on these diets without the ravages of degenerative diseases that are so epidemic in modern life--heart disease, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative diseases, osteoporosis and cancer."

I'm wondering if the less food you get from the grocery store the better. I think a balanced diet of non processed food is as good as you are going to get, maybe a little heavy on the vegetables, grains and fruit and ease off a little on the meat and dairy products, restricting them to skimmed milk products. I think some meat regularly is conducive to strength.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
God intended for Adam and Eve to be vegans.

Yup, "It's God's will" is the next step towards official religiondom. Since it's also God's will that 3000 people died on Sept 11th, I hope you don't mind if I tell God to **** off.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Are you sure? Unless a medical ailment should require them to eat meat, I'm sure an Inuit, assuming he had easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables of course, could adapt just as easily as us to a vegan or vegetarian diet. Inversely, I'm sure a white man living in an isolated area where vegetarian is sparce would find adapting to a vegetarian diet to be tough. I think it would have more to do with geography than anything else.
Yes. I am sure. I hope you aren't suggesting geography doesn't play a part in evolution. At any rate, besides the fact that there is little vegetation in the arctic, meat, particularly fatty meat helps keep the Thule, Dorset, etc. peoples warm. There is a high content of BAT (Brown Adipose Tissue) in meats. Bat is a fat that helps bodies regulate heat. There is extremely little BAT in a strictly vegetarian diet. It would take a long time for such a person to adapt to a high vegetarian diet.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yup, "It's God's will" is the next step towards official religiondom. Since it's also God's will that 3000 people died on Sept 11th, I hope you don't mind if I tell God to **** off.

Yep, and another 3000 or more died on Sept. 12.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm wondering if the less food you get from the grocery store the better. I think a balanced diet of non processed food is as good as you are going to get, maybe a little heavy on the vegetables, grains and fruit and ease off a little on the meat and dairy products, restricting them to skimmed milk products. I think some meat regularly is conducive to strength.
That's a pretty good description of a good diet. Waaaaaaaaaay back when man was young lol, it was much easier to find fruits and vegetables to subsist on than it was to take a hunting party and go get a bit of meat. The meat they did get was divvied up to the hunters and their families so no-one got a great deal of it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I didn't know Adam and Eve but it is quite possible that Said1 is right. They may very well have been vegan. As for it being any god's will or not, that is debatable bigtime.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I didn't know Adam and Eve but it is quite possible that Said1 is right. They may very well have been vegan. As for it being any god's will or not, that is debatable bigtime.

I think Said1 was referring to Genesis Chapter 2.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'm not here to argue God's will, I'll leave that to Gerry. I'm only repeating what is written. Anyone is free to do whatever they want with that.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Chapters shmapters. Tomayto tomahto.

I don't profess the Christian Faith myself, but if I'm making comments on it, I like to be sure I know what I'm talking about. Please don't take it as my preaching he Gospel to you; that's not my intent.