Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Off the shelf parts for wind farms could be modified to be powered by water rather than air. Change the prop to the type subs use and anchor the tower to the seafloor. They might even be able to float like an anchored balloon does on land which seems pretty cheap. Fins could be auto or operated like a drone from land so it can be moved around remotely.
In Canada NFLD had the Grand Banks that is 'flat' so a forest or towers could be installed and the power fed into the export lines that already go to the US through Quebec. The increase would not net Quebec any extra revenue as they already skim some off the other deal that is already in place.

Add a deflection device and 3x the water passes the blades.

If you want to generate the kind of serious power needed to meet global demand without resorting to fossil fuels, nuclear is currently the only truly viable option. Period.
Off the Atlantic seaboard of the United States, the Gulf Stream flows at a rate nearly 300 times faster than the typical flow of the Amazon River. The velocity of the current is fastest near the surface, with the maximum speed typically about 5.6 miles per hour (nine kilometers per hour).
How fast is the Gulf Stream? - NOAA's National Ocean Service

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gulfstreamspeed.html

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
LOL yep, until the reality of commercial scale wind and solar slap people in the face.

In 100 years that might be the way things are. At the moment doing a little R&D isn't a bad thing as long as the farm isn't being bet. Canada has enough NG tapped at the moment to last 100 years, what would be missing are the plastics that come from oil. If we want to thrive and back off on oil flax and hemp based plants have to be cultivated in a large scale. To to that 'in-house' the whole infrastructure needs to be built to 21st century standards. 20 years and $200B later the price of a plastic body for an NG car is $29.99, for example. Kevlar strength plastic. Canada also has the best grease available in the sludge that is the tar-sands, shipped as a solid in sealed containers is a safe export and when heated later the oil that drips out can make a lot of regular oil capable of running at close tolerances. The grit that is left is not garbage either. Right now Cold Lake has that material without any grit.

Let's look at wind power first since it is in fact negative power generation. A wind turbine will never generate the equivalent energy over its lifetime, than the fossil fuel energy required to extract, process and refine the resources to make them. The fossil fuel power to transport those resources and transform them into turbines, and the fossil fuel power required to transport them to their site. A job which takes 5 heavy rigs to perform. 1 for the tower itself, 3 for the blades and 1 for the nacelle.

What would the numbers be when they are underwater where cooling and a steady 'current' is available so each unit is good for 50 years with a cheap rebuild at 20 years?

Existing wind farms could run streamer from the tips of the props to make them visible to birds without it sucking up any power.

On top of that, the human population is currently expanding by a net of 130 million people every year. People that will need electricity. In order to meet just the needs of annual increased demand, you'd have to build enough wind turbines to almost cover the entire UK. By 2050 we'd be looking at a land mass the size of Russia covered in turbines. And that doesn't even take into account replacing current fossil fuel power.
Using a tower for a remote mine of fishing village is better than trying to run power lines for 100's of miles when 1 freezing rain will cripple them for a long time. NG can be piped in plastic lines that are very flexible and then that runs the genset on site. A few storage tanks in case the line is out of comission

As long as you can spin a brushless motor you have power on demand or you can charge a battery. a 25ln 'propane tank' and bigger is how you store NG when a 'tap' isn't available.

Both need developement and they are the cheapest alternative when crude oil refinement drops.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I think you may be onto something there!
How is that working out for Japan?

Germany was taking steps to reduce that style by the time the reactor room hand landed back on the earth after it was launched upwards for a few seconds. A salt water battery sounds safer.

There is also the waste issue, not all of it cab be made into bombs. The bottom of the trench just east of Japan is the best place for all the crud we create, What is at the bottom only goes deeper with time. Might as well as sink the ship that brings the material so it is 'controlled'. The other good spot is where all the plastic is floating as the surface water goes to the bottom of the ocean at that point

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Harley Davidson is attempting to revive their failing business by introducing the Livewire.

0-60 in 3 seconds.

Although this bike is probably worth every penny of the $30K they want for it I kind of doubt many old men are going to want to strap one of these on.

They prefer to putt around on the gasser models like it was 1969.

This is an interesting move in that it needs to draw in a new young demographic and the young demographic don't generally want to spend $30K on a bike.

It has to work or Harley is dead.

I cannot remember that last time I saw a Harley rumbling down the road without a grey haired old guy on top of it.

Yes hemerHOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And every one of those Harley`s CARRIES A RETIRED CIVIL SERVICE UNION HOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLD HOGS are the only people who can afford Harley`s!!!!!

Apparently Harley marketing people have been having too

many liquid lunches with LIE-beral propaganda

meisters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I think you may be onto something there!
except that staying with oil and gas has been shown to be far more expensive than the alternative.

in order to compete oil has to be $20 a bbl.

but this is like climate change - nobody expects y'all to get it

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
except that staying with oil and gas has been shown to be far more expensive than the alternative.
Yeah, except that JLM was referring to my mention of nuclear power being the only real chance at decarbonization by 2050. Duhhhhhhhhh Speaking of not getting things.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yeah, except that JLM was referring to my mention of nuclear power being the only real chance at decarbonization by 2050. Duhhhhhhhhh Speaking of not getting things.
Ones that are used in big ships could power individual cities rather than a nation wide networked grid would save a lot of money and they are 'available in months rather than decades'. Make a network of them on the scale of tesla charging stations. Browns Gas is supposed to be able vaporize DU materials. . . .
Nuclear Waste Neutralization Using Hydroxy Gas

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

In the short term perhaps...…………...in the long term...…………………..you don't want to know! Of course the price of 'juice' isn't going to soar before more people are on it.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
They are only talking long term. In the long term reinvesting in oil and gas infrastructure is not economically feasible as compared to alternative.

The study is a financial study.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
car guy Jay Leno

“I mean, the advantage of electricity. I have a Tesla. I’ve had it for three years. I’ve never done anything. There’s no fluids to change. There’s nothing. You know, For new technology to succeed, it can’t be equal. It’s got to be better. And they’ve (Tesla) sort of solved the battery problem. It can go 350 to 400 miles at a charge. There’s no maintenance. They’re faster than the gas car. So there’s almost no reason to have a gas car unless you’re doing long-haul duty,” Leno explained.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
car guy Jay Leno

“I mean, the advantage of electricity. I have a Tesla. I’ve had it for three years. I’ve never done anything. There’s no fluids to change. There’s nothing. You know, For new technology to succeed, it can’t be equal. It’s got to be better. And they’ve (Tesla) sort of solved the battery problem. It can go 350 to 400 miles at a charge. There’s no maintenance. They’re faster than the gas car. So there’s almost no reason to have a gas car unless you’re doing long-haul duty,” Leno explained.

And where does Jay Leno live? I'm pretty sure it's not Outback British Columbia! Does he know where this electricity is going to come from in 10 or 20 years?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
0ne of the best things about electricity is that its already everywhere.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
0ne of the best things about electricity is that its already everywhere.
Oh? How come none of it ever makes it to the part of your computer that is supposed to out put the truth?

Santa Cruz homeless camp