Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La. - Yahoo! News

I thought this sort of thing disappeared with George Wallace and Jim Crow. Evidently it is still the in thing, the respectable thing to do in some parts of the Bible Belt.
Must be hard up for news.
YAWN

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Again, just your opinion, EagleSmack. And coming from a conservative (whose philosophy blacks despise as they would despise Nazism), I wear it as a badge of honour.

Indeed, the fact that you consider it racist shows to me that it was a reasonable comment.

{quote]
Nothing like projecting your own prejudices, and promoting a racial stereotype.....that exists only in your own weird mind......what an idiot!

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

I thought this sort of thing disappeared with George Wallace and Jim Crow. Evidently it is still the in thing, the respectable thing to do in some parts of the Bible Belt.

SJP, This was one man who said he personally could not marry this couple, claims it is a sin (Freedom of Religion). What this means to his career remains to be seen, he shouldn't be put in this position again, never.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I, too, am confused here. :-?

One Guy has done this asinine thing four times over the span of his
career as a Justice of this Peace. How on Earth does this One Guy
being a Racist equate to his particular form of stupidity being "the
in thing & the respectable thing to do in some parts of the Bible Belt."
???

How many parts of "the Bible Belt" could this one Guy work & reside in,
to turn the actions of One Guy into "the in thing & the respectable thing
to do in some parts of the Bible Belt." ????

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
"1959 Louisiana supreme court upholds the state's miscegenation law, arguing that the state could protect the children from such marriages from "a feeling of inferiority as to their status in the community that may affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone" ( Zabel, 121 notes that this was a sarcastic verbal echo of the Supreme Court's 1954 school integration ruling in Brown v.Board of Education)".. The final word is "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

I also wonder how he got away from facing Federal law, guess it didn't make the papers when he did it before. If the couple files now, he is toast.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
SJP, This was one man who said he personally could not marry this couple, claims it is a sin (Freedom of Religion).
I thought his issue was that inter racial marriages end in divorce, and the children aren't accepted by either race. I don't believe he claimed religious grounds, and I don't know why Sir TightAzzz had to bring up 'the bible belt', other than his perverse views on the world.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Read Rons post about this guy and how does 4 times represent the Bible Belt- You are again showing your deep rooted prejudice for religion- Add up the total numbers of people in the Bible Belt- probaly 40 - 50 million - and one guy represents them all. While you may not be a racist your prejudice and hatred for religion stands out loud and clear -

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
SJP, This was one man who said he personally could not marry this couple, claims it is a sin (Freedom of Religion).
I thought his issue was that inter racial marriages end in divorce, and the children aren't accepted by either race. I don't believe he claimed religious grounds, and I don't know why Sir TightAzzz had to bring up 'the bible belt', other than his perverse views on the world.

Sorry about the sin thing, got two stories mixed up.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Ironsides - When I was stationed in Germany many US soldiers told me that on some bases that certain Messes were segregated by choice - if you were to light you did not go into a certain Mess - same as if you were quite dark - The theme that I have seen and it is documented throughout US States are the cases where people could "Pass" for white - Terrible when you think of it -

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SJP, This was one man who said he personally could not marry this couple, claims it is a sin (Freedom of Religion). What this means to his career remains to be seen, he shouldn't be put in this position again, never.

I agree, ironsides, he should be fired from his job. If the law say he cannot be fired (will the law also say that a JP who refuses to marry a Jew with a non Jew also cannot be fired?), then the law must be changed.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I, too, am confused here. :-?

One Guy has done this asinine thing four times over the span of his
career as a Justice of this Peace. How on Earth does this One Guy
being a Racist equate to his particular form of stupidity being "the
in thing & the respectable thing to do in some parts of the Bible Belt."
???

How many parts of "the Bible Belt" could this one Guy work & reside in,
to turn the actions of One Guy into "the in thing & the respectable thing
to do in some parts of the Bible Belt." ????

Ron, such things are usually a tip of the iceberg. Such instances rarely occur in isolation. He had the courage enough to do and say what he thinks, but how many others also think like he does, but don’t have the courage to stand up for their opinions?

It wouldn’t surprise me if many think as he does in that particular religion of Louisiana. Also, considering that the Bible Belt has a history of things like this, it used to happen on a massive scale just a few decades ago, I think I am justified in citing the Bible Belt as the culprit.

Suppose there is news of some atrocities committed by Nazis against Jews in Germany. Would you bring up Hitler and the Third Reich? Of course you would, this situation is analogous.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
[/u]

Read Rons post about this guy and how does 4 times represent the Bible Belt- You are again showing your deep rooted prejudice for religion- Add up the total numbers of people in the Bible Belt- probaly 40 - 50 million - and one guy represents them all. While you may not be a racist your prejudice and hatred for religion stands out loud and clear -

Bible Belt has a history for this kind of thing, Goober, it did not occur in isolation. If it used to happen regularly in the past, I think I am justified in bringing it up.

Incidentally, people in the Bible Belt used to justify this kind of injustice on Biblical grounds (ever heard of Curse of Ham?).

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Bible Belt has a history for this kind of thing, Goober, it did not occur in isolation. If it used to happen regularly in the past, I think I am justified in bringing it up.

Incidentally, people in the Bible Belt used to justify this kind of injustice on Biblical grounds (ever heard of Curse of Ham?).

Isn't the Curse of Ham a jewish shibboleth?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

The two issues are not unrelated ironsides; religion very much comes into it. This particular JP may not have brought religion into it, but religion was very much the center piece of the argument when this type of injustice regularly used to be practiced in the Bible Belt.

Segregation, ban on race mixing etc. used to be justified by reference to the Bible. Now, maybe this guy did not specifically bring religion into it, but religion is very much a part of the mix.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Isn't the Curse of Ham a jewish shibboleth?

Maybe so, spade, but it was used to justify the racial injustices perpetrated in the South (and it was also the justification for apartheid in South Africa). So religion is very much a part of this story.

You are asking religion to conform to logic, a tall order.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In the twenties, Hurst newspapers ran stories (totally fabricated) of black men smoking pot and raping white girls. That is how he helped get pot made illegal. The real reason was because he was heavily invested in wood pulp for his papers and wanted to eliminate the competition from hemp paper.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Ironsides - When I was stationed in Germany many US soldiers told me that on some bases that certain Messes were segregated by choice - if you were to light you did not go into a certain Mess - same as if you were quite dark - The theme that I have seen and it is documented throughout US States are the cases where people could "Pass" for white - Terrible when you think of it -

I went into the service in 1957, there was no segregation at any military bases, not to say there was no open personal discrimination (people still had their own strong feelings either way about it). The segregation was banned in the military by President Truman in 1948. I do however also remember that bars and restaurants through out the south and in some northern states were segregated. (black or white only) There were many brawls over this. It was a terrible but a interesting time to live thru.