Indigenous leaders launch $2.1 billion class-action lawsuits against Canada over lack of drinking water

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Indigenous leaders launch $2.1 billion class-action lawsuits against Canada over lack of drinking water

I guess the biggest problem is how Canada deals with water. Water is handled at the municipal level where property taxes mainly fund the water and sewage with the odd grant from the province or federal. I grew up near curve lake (Peterborough) and still have a cottage just a tad north of it.

What I don't get is why not spend the 10-20k (a well) and a make some wells. That's what the vast majority of non reserve folks do around that area. You can also put in water filtration systems and pull from the lake, but there a bit more work to maintain vs a well.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
What I don't get is why not spend the 10-20k (a well) and a make some wells. That's what the vast majority of non reserve folks do around that area. You can also put in water filtration systems and pull from the lake, but there a bit more work to maintain vs a well.
You answered your own question there is no word for maintenance in any native language-no one is interested in the job they want free water for.......wait for it.....FREE.

If natives were enterprising they could get the gov't to pay for them to take courses in how to build & maintain these systems but that's too much like work better to sit around bitching all day.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020

I guess the biggest problem is how Canada deals with water. Water is handled at the municipal level where property taxes mainly fund the water and sewage with the odd grant from the province or federal. I grew up near curve lake (Peterborough) and still have a cottage just a tad north of it.

Those were the days before the municipal water meter idea came along. Slap a meter on every home and charge so much people won't dare water the lawn, then double the water meter charge as the sewage levy. It's a huge revenue stream and taxes haven't gone down one bit

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Maybe they read a book about how whitie's fluoride was used in nazi deth camps to keep the prisoners stoopid ( The set up for Nuremburg I guess)
;)
Not to mention all the evidence it is actually DANGEROUS to your teeth.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
The infrastructure demanded by the feds to treat water and sewage both ways is not cheap to install or run.
Three times the expense in a remote community with every one grabbing what they can get. I've been told as little as 25% makes it to the job site.

Winter road access can be both a blessing and a curse.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Three times the expense in a remote community with every one grabbing what they can get. I've been told as little as 25% makes it to the job site.

Winter road access can be both a blessing and a curse.
Depending on where you are it can easily be more than that. Freight, airfare, camp are all hugely expensive.

Reactions: Twin_Moose