In the last 30 yrs how many of you have.......

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
In the last 30 years how many of you have physically spent five or more years in the province of Quebec?

-- were these five or more years for the purposes of education

-- were these five or more years because of a transfer there

-- were these five or more years a case of living and working there

If you experienced any of the above, you would have an understanding of the province, its people and their mentality.

If you have not experienced any of the above you do not have the first clue about how Quebec operates as a province within the country of Canada.

All that you know is what you read (highly questionable), what you hear (not to be believed) and what you have seen in the media (specifically chosen to demean Quebec).

So, with all due respect to you, when you refer to Quebec, your comment is based on what exactly?

scratch

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In the last 30 years how many of you have physically spent five or more years in the province of Quebec?

If you experienced any of the above, you would have an understanding of the province, its people and their mentality.

If you have not experienced any of the above you do not have the first clue about how Quebec operates as a province within the country of Canada.

All that you know is what you read (highly questionable), what you hear (not to be believed) and what you have seen in the media (specifically chosen to demean Quebec).

So, with all due respect to you, when you refer to Quebec, your comment is based on what exactly?

scratch

Though my Canada has room for a Quebec ... it doesn't revolve around Quebec. If Quebec wants to go ... it should go completely and exist entirely on its own merits. That means no more tax dollars spent to keep jobs in Quebec that otherwise would locate elsewhere. That means no more gifts to keep you in the Dominion. That means no more demands that the rest of Canada change to suit you. Where I live is predominantly French in nature ... yet the people don't feel entitled to more than their share of anything. It may surprise you to learn a great many Francophone here find Quebec an embarrassment.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Quebec is just another province to me, I don't feel any different about Quebec then I do Manitoba or PEI. Quebecer's need to get over them selves, the world doesn't revolve around the province.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

scratch

I've lived next door, in Ottawa for 20 yrs. Given that a good percentage of people living in Gatineau (who are from all over Quebec, many of whom are some my best friends) work and spend a lot of time over here, I think I have a good understanding of the people, the province and how things operate. My comments are based on my experiences, provincial policy and a little bit of media thrown in.

I lived in Quebec for a very short period of time when I was very young, I know I hated taking the van to pre-school! :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Have you filled out any government forms in BC in the last 30 years? There are about 3 dozen french speaking people in the province and about 300,000 chinese speaking. Is Quebec willing to take on the same redundancy and include the chinese language on all of its government documents, for the sake of BC residents?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Have you filled out any government forms in BC in the last 30 years? There are about 3 dozen french speaking people in the province and about 300,000 chinese speaking. Is Quebec willing to take on the same redundancy and include the chinese language on all of its government documents, for the sake of BC residents?
How about Arabic for the sake of Ottawa residents? Ah screw it, accommodate all! :lol:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
A very good question as Quebec controls its immigration, it would depend on demand for workers and Quebec when in need of workers tends to put language laws aside momentarily.

Politics really has no specific language.

regards,
scratch

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

scratch
Hello scratch,
In answer to your question,
not me.

I find your above statement a little weird scratch.
It is, not very inclusive,to say the least.
I assume you feel Quebec is getting short shifted in some way.
That may be true.

try to keep in mind this seems to be a discussion forum.
If it is indeed one then isn't everyones opinion on Quebec valid.

Some people have not spent five years in all the provinces and territories.
Thus they have no clue about any of them?

Have you spent five years living and working in the states?
Thus no clue about America?

Lived in Ottawa for five years?
Not allowed to vote perhaps?

Some people have not as yet been married for five years.
Thus no clue about how a woman's mind.........errr......ooops.
Time to move on.

Trex

Reactions: DurkaDurka

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Some people have not as yet been married for five years.
Thus no clue about how a woman's mind.........errr......ooops.

Trex
No amount of years can tackle that age-old mystery.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Poor Trex,
With all due consideration...

This is specifically about Quebec...Regional Chat:Quebec

So with respect what is your point, besides it inclusive to Canada alone.

regards,
scratch

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Poor Trex,
With all due consideration...

This is specifically about Quebec...Regional Chat:Quebec

So with respect what is your point, besides it inclusive to Canada alone.

regards,
scratch
I see your point.
I respect it.
But I do not agree with it.

You think that people that have not lived and worked in Quebec for 5 years should not be allowed to discuss it.
Or Ontario in the Ontario forum or the Maritimes, I presume.

I think Canadians need more discussion, not less.
I think residents of other Provinces get more valuable information about other regions by discussing those regions with the local residents.

You disagree.

Its all cool.

Trex

Or the West

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Trex, sorry big time wrong.

This thread is just about Quebec.

And experiences that people have had in the province. I don't like limiting myself to one province but in my opinion too much crud has been heaped on Quebec recently and I wanted to know how people who had no actual living experience inside the borders of Quebec could continually do that.

The question is very simple.

If you have lived in the province continually for five years or more based on my options -- then post-- if not it is your choice.

regards,
scratch

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I was in Quebec for a couple of hours between flights once. All my life I've heard crap about Quebec and the frogs from people who never been there and know squat about it. Scratch is right there has been a lot of anti-Quebec dirt spread by morons and we can see our retarded fathead prime-minister doing exactly the same thing right now and feeding the anti-Quebec hysteria in the west.