IGA Turns Away Customer Who Cannot Wear Mask for Medical Reasons

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
This is completely unacceptable. Last week an IGA customer was denied access to an IGA supermarket in Quebec simply because she had a medical condition that prevented her from wearing a mask. The government decree that mandated masks in all indoor public spaces in Quebec made exceptions for those who cannot wear a mask due to pre-existing medical issues (asthma, PTSD, heart issues ...). This decree specifically outlined that a medical certificate is not required. However IGA chose to ignore this provision and refused to allow her to do her groceries. This establishment clearly discriminated against her because of her medical history. I will personally not shop there anymore.
Any type of discrimination is wrong, however discriminating against someone because of their medical background is a new low and it’s completely unacceptable.
The supermarket chain has since apologized and allowed her to shop there, but it’s too late. The damage has already been done.
I hope she sues this business for violation of her civil rights.
CJAD NEWS MONTREAL
YOUR STORY: MONTREAL WOMAN WITH MEDICAL CONDITION TURNED AWAY FROM STORE FOR NOT WEARING A MASK
A Montreal woman says she has a medical condition that makes wearing a mask painful and that it's unfair that she's being turned away from some stores.
"I actually believe in the mask and I'd wear it if I could," said Anne Schlenker.
For the past 37 years, Schlenker has been suffering from nerve damage resulting in hypersensitivity - the form of fibromyalgia means the slightest touch or pressure causes pain to her face or head, including a mask.
"I end up with shooting pain in my face, I end up with toothaches," said Schlenker who reached out to yourstory@cjad.com.
Schlenker said she was surprised and frustrated when she was recently barred from her local supermarket.
"I did get a referral from my doctor who clearly outlined that I could not wear a mask and I was told I could not enter the store, that if I entered the store without a mask they would call the police," said Schlenker.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/new...-from-store-for-not-wearing-a-mask-1.13032647

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This is completely unacceptable. Last week an IGA customer was denied access to an IGA supermarket in Quebec simply because she had a medical condition that prevented her from wearing a mask. The government decree that mandated masks in all indoor public spaces in Quebec made exceptions for those who cannot wear a mask due to pre-existing medical issues (asthma, PTSD, heart issues ...). This decree specifically outlined that a medical certificate is not required. However IGA chose to ignore this provision and refused to allow her to do her groceries. This establishment clearly discriminated against her because of her medical history. I will personally not shop there anymore.
Any type of discrimination is wrong, however discriminating against someone because of their medical background is a new low and it’s completely unacceptable.
The supermarket chain has since apologized and allowed her to shop there, but it’s too late. The damage has already been done.
I hope she sues this business for violation of her civil rights.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/new...-from-store-for-not-wearing-a-mask-1.13032647

Private business, has every right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason. IGA isnt the only place she can buy grocery from. Instead of whining to the media, she just needed to go down the street to a different grocery store. But no, gotta whine about how hard done by she is.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Private business, has every right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason. IGA isnt the only place she can buy grocery from. Instead of whining to the media, she just needed to go down the street to a different grocery store. But no, gotta whine about how hard done by she is.

Right you are, gerry. How were the IGA employees to know she had a medical condition? Did she have documentation proving her claim? But then these are the days when the eagerly offended get the headlines.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Discrimination is wrong in all it’s forms. Whether it’s discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, it’s still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that person’s race, there’d be an uproar in the streets the likes of which we’ve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.

The government clearly stated in its decree that businesses need to make exceptions for those with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. IGA completely ignored this provision and discriminated against this lady. Thankfully she went to the media which resulted in a public outrage, forcing IGA to backtrack and allow her to shop there.

Bottom line, as a business owner you are allowed to deny access to anyone for any reason (ie not wearing shoes, being intoxicated ...etc), however this does not extend to acts of discrimination. Denying access to anyone for reasons like race, nationality, gender, or medical issues is completely unacceptable and that business should be forced to provide compensation for damages to anyone discriminated against.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Discrimination is wrong in all it’s forms. Whether it’s discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, it’s still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that person’s race, there’d be an uproar in the streets the likes of which we’ve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.
The government clearly stated in its decree that businesses need to make exceptions for those with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. IGA completely ignored this provision and discriminated against this lady. Thankfully she went to the media which resulted in a public outrage, forcing IGA to backtrack and allow her to shop there.
Bottom line, as a business owner you are allowed to deny access to anyone for any reason (ie not wearing shoes, being intoxicated ...etc), however this does not extend to acts of discrimination. Denying access to anyone for reasons like race, nationality, gender, or medical issues is completely unacceptable and that business should be forced to provide compensation for damages to anyone discriminated against.
That depends on what the Quebec workers compensation rules are. Confidently left out of the story probably because it doesn't fit with the party line. Also I can think of several perfectly good reasons to bar a person for medical issues. Especially in a grocery store.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
A friend of ours has copd and can't wear a mask either.

She wears a face shield instead.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Sorry, nope. Her rights end when they infringe on others. She has other options for shopping beside going into IGA unmasked.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sorry, nope. Her rights end when they infringe on others. She has other options for shopping beside going into IGA unmasked.

Ah yes, the common sense solution to her shopping needs, gerry but then she wouldn't have been able to garner the MSMs attention would she. :roll:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Voting is an act of discrimination.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. it's a violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act to refuse service based on disability, unless a "reasonable accommodation" is unavailable.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Du no about the US, but in Canada some grocery stores ( Loblaw comes to mind) there are probably others...
You can phone in your order and once it's prepared you drive to a pick-up point and they bring it to your vehicle!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
PTSD is no reason to not wear a mask, you moron.
She doesn't have PTSD, she has fibromyalgia.

"For the past 37 years, Schlenker has been suffering from nerve damage resulting in hypersensitivity - the form of fibromyalgia means the slightest touch or pressure causes pain to her face or head, including a mask."

But y'all go out back and play psychiatrist with the other kids now, hear?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Stick to your job as a loss prevention officer in Richmond Hill.
Poor Skippy. Most of us get over thinking saying something over and over will make it true around age six.

Her bullshit claim does not supersede the rights of people that want to shop at a store without the fear of contracting a deadly disease.
It appears the law disagrees with you.

In my opinion, she should be marched out, then shot in the back of the head. One less worthless mouth to feed.
It is utterly unsurprising that this is your opinion. Like many emotionally unstable people, you wish death on anybody you pick out of the paper and choose to dislike.

Wear the mask, or get the hell out of the store.
Or what? Big, bad Girthy will hope somebody else shoots you?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A friend of ours has copd and can't wear a mask either.
She wears a face shield instead.
That is probably a better idea than a mask anyway. Especially if you wear glasses.
I was talking to a clerk in my favorite marine supply store on saturday and they have instituted a mask police for staff and customers. I asked her how she liked working all day in a mask. SHe said she was ready to quit and this was about 6 hrs into the first day.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You are ashamed of your ethnic background, and try to convince people that you are successful lawyer in the Washington DC area. The ruse is up. You have White guilt, and it is time you went to a professional who can help with your delusions.
Whatever you need to tell yourself to feel like you have some worth.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I agree she has alternatives - some grocery stores even deliver. I would ask her what her specific situation was - did she absolutely have to go to the store in person or can she not either order via phone and then pick it up or have it delivered. Hey Techom - I agree with you!!! Yay!!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I supposed I should elaborate - Canada also has the laws about discrimination against people with disabilities. |Hopefully she wasn't treated as Girth would suggest - hopefully she was treated with some compassion.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It's part of the cancel culture.

Let's shut IGA down.

They were mean to someone. Maybe.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Right you are, gerry. How were the IGA employees to know she had a medical condition? Did she have documentation proving her claim? But then these are the days when the eagerly offended get the headlines.
She had a referral from her doctor. It's right there in the article.