How to eliminate the redundancies in public media funding?

Given how little difference there actually is between public and private media in Can

• Cut public media funding altogether.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Shift funding from English and French to sign languages and other languages.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shift funding towards radio broadcasting in more remote areas of the country.

• A combination of the above.

• Another option.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I listen to Radio 1 & 2 exclusively.

Satellite radio isn't free. I've been able to pick up the SK radio 1 AM broadcast as far as Omaha Nebraska when driving to San Antonio.

Why on earth would I want to pay Sirius?

So you are not stuck listening to CBC.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When was the last time you listened to C.B.C. radio? :)

On the radio, about a year ago. Online, about a month ago.

For people like me who rarely watch TV and listen to the radio, why not allow me to opt out with a media voucher to subscribe to my favourite online media?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
If you want to eliminate public media funding you have to eliminate private media funding as well.

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies - The Globe and Mail

I would go further and ban paid government advertising which of course is another form of subsidizing all media.........

the Tories’ oft-criticized Economic Action Plan ads — the (*wink*) non-partisan information campaign that has cost taxpayers, as of this writing, about three quarters of a billion dollars — could the Liberals have come up with the idea for the radio spots that have been pumping through my car stereo speakers over the past week or so?

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/gordon-omg-stop-spending-our-money-on-political-advertising

When was the last time you watched a YouTube clip of a clever political television commercial from Britain?

The answer is probably never, because the U.K. bans paid political advertising on television and radio.

Isn’t it about time Canada followed suit?

Let’s follow Britain’s lead: Ban political TV and radio ads | National Newswatch

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you want to eliminate public media funding you have to eliminate private media funding as well.

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies - The Globe and Mail

I would go further and ban paid government advertising which of course is another form of subsidizing all media.........

the Tories’ oft-criticized Economic Action Plan ads — the (*wink*) non-partisan information campaign that has cost taxpayers, as of this writing, about three quarters of a billion dollars — could the Liberals have come up with the idea for the radio spots that have been pumping through my car stereo speakers over the past week or so?

Gordon: OMG, stop spending our money on political advertising | Ottawa Citizen

When was the last time you watched a YouTube clip of a clever political television commercial from Britain?

The answer is probably never, because the U.K. bans paid political advertising on television and radio.

Isn’t it about time Canada followed suit?

Let’s follow Britain’s lead: Ban political TV and radio ads | National Newswatch

Good ideas.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Listen to CBC Radio for a day or two, it'll be immediately obvious.

Obvious in the sense that the journalists insist on treating their position(s) as their own private platform to espouse their individual ideals and positions.

Get up really early some morning and listen to the BBC broadcast that precedes the on-air time of CBC... That is how a public broadcaster is supposed to behave

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So you are not stuck listening to CBC.

I'm never stuck. It's a nickleback free blessing.

Obvious in the sense that the journalists insist on treating their position(s) as their own private platform to espouse their individual ideals and positions.

Get up really early some morning and listen to the BBC broadcast that precedes the on-air time of CBC... That is how a public broadcaster is supposed to behave

The ABC news is very well done.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm never stuck. It's a nickleback free blessing.

The ABC news is very well done.

I listen to C.B.C. radio pretty much exclusively and I only have two complaints
1. To much repetition in that in a week you can get the same program three or four times.
2. (my biggest one) Too much time spent on discussions of alternative sexual orientations and the ramifications of such. I'm no prude and don't want to curtail gays etc. but the broadcasting should reflect the 95% who are heterosexuals. Or start up C.B.C. 3 devoted entirely to that audience.