How safe is Toronto?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My parents are refusing to let me go to Toronto because they don't feel it's a "safe" place to go and they say it's a foreign country blah blah blah. I'm going to be 20 soon so I don't think that's a problem.

So how safe of a place is Toronto actually? is it safe enough for a 19 year old girl or is it not that safe, but it's safer to go with someone?
I'd look at what the people who deal with the safety issue in Toronto for facts. Something like these people:

Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect

In 2008 people seemed to think it was a pretty safe cit:

Crime down in Toronto - thestar.com

I can't see any point in comparing it to other cities, though, because it really doesn't make any difference what the safety of another city is if you are in Toronto.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I'd look at what the people who deal with the safety issue in Toronto for facts. Something like these people:

Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect

In 2008 people seemed to think it was a pretty safe cit:

Crime down in Toronto - thestar.com

I can't see any point in comparing it to other cities, though, because it really doesn't make any difference what the safety of another city is if you are in Toronto.

Toronto is safe. You just need to know the areas to avoid. I have lived in Toronto safely for over 30 years

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If you are twenty, you are an adult.

"When I was young and twenty,
I heard a wise man say,
'To save pounds and crowns and guineas,
From Toronto stay away!'"
A E Housman

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Totonto is full of eastern Canadians. Better to pack heat when there.
Where is that place you speak of??? I've never even heard of Totonto. Is that a place where the Lone Ranger goes with Tonto and why he "packs heat"? :p:p;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Since he lives there - he should have a better idea of how things are over and above your links.
Since he probably has a limited experience with Toronto he cannot say what it is like in every neighborhood, he likely cannot give a general description of safety in Toronto, but only descriptions of a few specific areas. Do you know what every area of the Island is like?

Besides, one of the links I gave was from the Toronto City Police and I would imagine they live in Toronto, too.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well now, I wouldn't go that far. Weyburn, SK still qualifies as a city (I think) and the one murder they've had in the last five years was the talk of the town for months. :wink:

You are not comparing like with like. Weyburn is a small place, I had never heard of it before this. I looked it up, its population is 9433. It is hardly fair to compare it with a mega city like Toronto.

However, Toronto is much safer than big cities in the west, like Winnipeg, Calgary, Saskatoon or Vancouver.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
From what I saw recently, it's much safer in downtown Toronto than downtown Vancouver. Drugs aren't nearly the problem as it is on the west coast.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
From what I saw recently, it's much safer in downtown Toronto than downtown Vancouver. Drugs aren't nearly the problem as it is on the west coast.
Better climate (warmer winters and BC's law system is too easy going).

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
O.K. lost the plot there.
The most dangerous thing in T.O. is biking and locking wheels into the Red Rockets imbeded tracks.
I remember when Moses dumped his Bonneville at Queen Spadina in the wet.
Broken wrist but party on.
Small wheel diameters like bicycles are most susceptible.