How safe is Toronto?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: How safe is Toronto?

Riyko said:
Hank C said:
Toronto is probably one of the safest large cities you can visit in north america.....why would your folks think its dangerous?

plus with our lax canadian justice system, you could probably get caught selling coke, buying illegal firearms, and sodomizing a 14 year old child....and still be home before college starts :(

My parents don't think it's safe because canada's a foreign country and that all foreign country's aren't safe no matter what... Plus i'm the only girl and the youngest and my parents are overly protective of me =/

The reason for oakville being my best friend lives there and because a college i'm checking into is located there as well.

Riyko, you might want to remind your parents that Canada and most European countries are safer than the United States. Most cities in the U.S. I wouldn't even go out past dark :p I have no problem in Canada or Europe :)

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I would have to echo the sentiments already posted here- I am from a much smaller town, and while Toronto can be a bit overwhelming at first, it is a really fun place, and having been there many times it is quite simple to avoid the trouble spots- and liike everyone says, it is basically as dangerous as you want to make it- if you just want to see some of the sights and have some fun, it is quite safe- we just went to see a heavy metal concert last week and we walked all over downtown and had a really great time, there was not any incident-

And as for it being a "foreign country".... I don't know how that makes a diference, there are SO many folks from SO many places there, it is very much a mosaic, which makes it seem (to me at least) much more open and "tolerant" in ways thatr smaller towns like our own kinda aren't, oddly.

I'm sure you will enjoy itand have a fine experience should you end up going there

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario

thecdn said:
Riyko said:
My parents don't think it's safe because canada's a foreign country and that all foreign country's aren't safe no matter what...

I take it they don't read/watch the news and realize that Canada along with a number of other 'foreign countrys' are safer than the violence prone USA?

They read the paper, but don't watch the news all that much.

The one thing that gets me the most is they've been up to Canada many times and still go, but yet they don't feel safe if I go alone for 4 days.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I live within an hour and a a half of Toronto. Locals here seldom go there. They think there's too much crime. But obviously crime seems to be centred in specific sections of the city and if you don't go to those areas you should be fine. Most people I know in Toronto are happy and when asked about the crime issue merely reply, "It's a big city. You'll always be safe as long as you're not careless about where you go." Makes sense to me. Kinda. But if you're not from Hogtown I guess you've got some bonin' up to do!

GuyIncognito

Jun 13, 2006
South Eastern Ontario
I grew up in Milton which is a Suburb of Toronto and I can vouch that if you just be aware you will come to no harm, however if you are looking for a GREAT time visit Ottawa, It's cleaner, Safer & The Market is possibly the funnest place on Earth.
- With St. John;s, NFLD coming in a close second.

hiAll

Jun 27, 2006
Warsaw, Poland (not for long ;))
People! Please try living in other places then Canada to find out what crime is. Come to Poland and kick someone’s ass as hard as you can in the center of Warsaw or devastate a shop. No stress – even if you’d be caught by police, courts have no time to take your case and there is no place in prisons anyway. If you are looking for a safe place better stay at home and pray (just don’t use gun in self-defense! You’d be accused for murder and then there would be a place for you in jail for sure!). The only one who can feel safe here is a criminal!

So… what was the question about Toronto?

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario

dekhqonbacha said:
Riyko
are you from Utah?
or for your profile you picked Utah just like this?

Wow sorry for the very late reply on this :oops:

I'm from Utah, i've lived here since 1988.

hiall

The question was if it's a safe place to go to :?:

cadessi

Oct 2, 2006
hiAll, for a moment i just thought you were talking about Spain. Man, how can this crap be spreading that
far?. I love that evergreen of Canada seen on movies (Alberta, British Columbia, etc.); it's a shame that crime (ruled by stinky politics) doesn't play fair with that wonderful country.

I need to get the hell out of Spain (of Europe, indeed) ASAP, and i've been considering some places in Washington State like Sammamish, Bothell or Woodinville; and even some other places in Colorado: Boulder, Loveland or Fort Collins. As usual, i can't find any crime statitistics for Canada -by the way, you won't find anything usefull for Spain or the rest of Europe either as, you know, burocrats here are trying to hide our disgraces to the world.

Katt

Feb 18, 2009
Hello,

Someone said to avoid Saint James town. Is that where GeorgeBrown College is St.James campus(King street east?)

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Toronto is the San Francisco of Canada and if you like that type of lifestyle then Toronto welcomes you with open arms