How many of you slow down the pace?

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
Walking across a busy street. The do not walk signs change so fast. I have noticed while in the vehicle the older people that have a walker are such a slower pace. Those that rush to get across darting by them. I have made an effort slowed down and or said hello and kept a comfortable distance for whom ever. But slowed down to see they are across safely. Do you notice or do you rush across to beat that flashing hand that changes as you are only half way across? Just Wondering.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I avoid crosswalks. I'm the guy you see jay walking across traffic.

I haven't come across a situation where I felt I had to make sure someone crossed safely, but good for you for looking out for your fellow citizens!

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
I avoid crosswalks. I'm the guy you see jay walking across traffic.

I haven't come across a situation where I felt I had to make sure someone crossed safely, but good for you for looking out for your fellow citizens!
After my accident I crossed the street dragging my leg slow and holding a pillow. Must have been a sight. I remember this woman wanting to turn her vehicle in the flashing hand had changed. It was bad a busy four way. I was given a glare by this woman. It has changed how I see others that can not move fast. So yeah I do try to help if I can. I hope others take notice of the seniors. I just know that will be me there again one day. I was treegirl over a year ago on here. Came back. Had a big old tree that woodpecker had pecked the heck out of it for a profile pick. Saw a few of the same names from then. Yes well they still give out tickets for that if you Jay walk here in our old town lol.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
After my accident I crossed the street dragging my leg slow and holding a pillow. Must have been a sight. I remember this woman wanting to turn her vehicle in the flashing hand had changed. It was bad a busy four way. I was given a glare by this woman. It has changed how I see others that can not move fast. So yeah I do try to help if I can. I hope others take notice of the seniors. I just know that will be me there again one day. I was treegirl over a year ago on here. Came back. Had a big old tree that woodpecker had pecked the heck out of it for a profile pick. Saw a few of the same names from then. Yes well they still give out tickets for that if you Jay walk here in our old town lol.

What old town do you live in? How many people?

I love that small town lifestyle... grew up in it.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
What old town do you live in? How many people?

I love that small town lifestyle... grew up in it.
It is so small that I saw two of my old school teachers today. We had around 150 residents families there Old bunk houses and the cook house. An old Spruce raft that logging equipment was floated across no roads then. I found an old silver quarter deep in the bark of one that was rotting out while digging around. There was a two room old school house. It was torn down. The old camp is sad. Nature is taking over replacing the story book that once stood. There are many many ghost stories. We lived on the edge of a trail deep into the woods. Bears would wander out in the summer. The one big old bear we thought was drunk all the time from the fermenting fruit trees down the trail. Staggering down to the water. I walked near a cougar cub and we hurried back home from that one. This was a while ago. We walked the creeks with buckets to scoop up the small fish trapped in pools that were evaporating and dumped them into the lake. There was no sound at night but the water. The wind and the black night and millions of stars. Not like anywhere I have ever seen in other places I was fortunate to have lived. Have you ever had a peace place that is just your special place to go to. If you tell anyone it is not yours anymore. Your peace place is then changed. This is my peace place. Where I am. I heard that people still scoop the pools out the creeks to save the fish. So that is where.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
It is so small that I saw two of my old school teachers today. We had around 150 residents families there Old bunk houses and the cook house. An old Spruce raft that logging equipment was floated across no roads then. I found an old silver quarter deep in the bark of one that was rotting out while digging around. There was a two room old school house. It was torn down. The old camp is sad. Nature is taking over replacing the story book that once stood. There are many many ghost stories. We lived on the edge of a trail deep into the woods. Bears would wander out in the summer. The one big old bear we thought was drunk all the time from the fermenting fruit trees down the trail. Staggering down to the water. I walked near a cougar cub and we hurried back home from that one. This was a while ago. We walked the creeks with buckets to scoop up the small fish trapped in pools that were evaporating and dumped them into the lake. There was no sound at night but the water. The wind and the black night and millions of stars. Not like anywhere I have ever seen in other places I was fortunate to have lived. Have you ever had a peace place that is just your special place to go to. If you tell anyone it is not yours anymore. Your peace place is then changed. This is my peace place. Where I am. I heard that people still scoop the pools out the creeks to save the fish. So that is where.

Thank you for describing heaven! Awesome!

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
It is. My younger sister back then was one of the first two girls on the island then on boys all star little league team that made the finals. Girls ball was big for us then. Camp life play or watch. That was a big deal for the two girls then out of that camp. My sister was a great ball player. Tough as nails. She played a fast ball game pitched. Camp life. Hitched a ride in on a woods helicopter. Wore her uniform moms old long trench coat over her ball uniform and knee high black leather boots just for the.....Looks she got when a helicopter landed at the ball field Lol. It is still heaven I agree.

If anyone hit a home run. There was a grandma in camp that would bake the person who hit the home run an apple pie. You had to run over in the uniform and bang on her door and she gave you a pie :)

My brother swam into the river that was washing a road away. There was a little old man sitting on top of his suitcase trapped in his car. Holding his little dog. The river was to strong and the water was in the car. The current to strong to get the doors open. My brother he got in that vehicle with the little man with a rope tied onto him. Dad was there with a neighbour and his tin boat dad treated him for exposure the little man was safe and the dog. Farther on up the road was gone. There was another family trapped. The mountain side had tore a section away as they passed and then another just in front of them. It was a busy day. That is what the woods life was like there. There are a few of the original people still there today. That is the small town life.

sweetsymphony

May 13, 2011
I'm afraid if I slowed down crossing in the city I'd be run over by one of Toronto's crazy drivers.
Nice that you're looking out for people though, the world needs more considerate people. Just this morning during my morning jog I tried to shoo a goose across the street in fear that he'd get hit..but he was so damn stubborn and just took his time crossing the busy intersection while stopping all the traffic.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've been known to slow down when others walking with me were slower, if I wasn't rushing for something. I figure that there is safety in numbers, and sometimes drivers aren't very aware.

I've also kicked the odd car, when they don't yield the right of way in crosswalks. And one day, at our local DQ, a woman started backing up and almost hit my daughter, so I punched the side of her van, she started to yell at me, and I think I yelled at her enough that she thought I was a psycho and might kill her.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
Walking across a busy street. The do not walk signs change so fast. I have noticed while in the vehicle the older people that have a walker are such a slower pace. Those that rush to get across darting by them. I have made an effort slowed down and or said hello and kept a comfortable distance for whom ever. But slowed down to see they are across safely. Do you notice or do you rush across to beat that flashing hand that changes as you are only half way across? Just Wondering.

When crossing if there is an older person who is not going to make it across in time I slow my pace and watch the traffic both ways during the crossing and if necessary will hold hand up palm out to stop impatient vehicle operators so they can cross safely. The vehicles can wait 10 more seconds to move forward; they will have to stop at the next traffic light or sign anyway so why not be more courteous? Folk who are elderly with or without walkers, those of all ages who are on crutches, or otherwise impeded physically, cannot go any faster for they are already going top speed. It is up to pedestrians and drivers to be cautious and considerate of our slower pedestrians. As a society it is incumbent upon us to assist each other when necessary. In this way do we evolve into a more advanced and humane culture. Usually there are no words exchanged for it is not necessary as the action says it all.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I stop for everybody. The ticket for failing to yield to a pedestrian is insane.

But if you're on a bicycle your going to have to pedal faster.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

No... if the hand if flashing, that means if you're not in the intersection, you do not enter it as you typically won't have time to cross before the lights change. If it is flashing while you're in the intersection, you still have plenty of time to cross before the lights change.

There was one time before I left Canada where I was in the intersection and the hand was flashing.... some jackass honked his horn at me to hurry up and cross..... his light was still red and I still had the right of way, so I don't know wtf he was rushing for, cuz he still couldn't move forward. Obviously someone needed to go back to drivers-ed.

The only time I rush across is if I take a step into the intersection and it switches to a flashing, or if I feel I can still make it across before the lights change...... otherwise everybody else can kiss me arse.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No... if the hand if flashing, that means if you're not in the intersection, you do not enter it as you typically won't have time to cross before the lights change. If it is flashing while you're in the intersection, you still have plenty of time to cross before the lights change.

There was one time before I left Canada where I was in the intersection and the hand was flashing.... some jackass honked his horn at me to hurry up and cross..... his light was still red and I still had the right of way, so I don't know wtf he was rushing for, cuz he still couldn't move forward. Obviously someone needed to go back to drivers-ed.

The only time I rush across is if I take a step into the intersection and it switches to a flashing, or if I feel I can still make it across before the lights change...... otherwise everybody else can kiss me arse.
I support you on principal, but I often find that, when faced between choosing my own arse over a lead-footed impatient driver, I'll often hurry my arse to the other side of the street.

That way I still have an arse for all others to kiss. ;)