How many here use a breadmaker?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The link below is to a breadmaker recipe for Italian bread. We started buying Italian bread a few years ago because it is superior to French bread in our opinion. This recipe turns out a great Calabrese bread. I can't see us buying another loaf while the breadmaker works.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Bread-Using-a-Bread-Machine/Detail.aspx

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would recommend putting the loaves directly onto the baking sheet. It is more trouble than it's worth to try to move them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Used a breadmaker for about a year, got fed up with it, bread oozed over the top, had trouble getting it out of pan, never did figure out how to improve flavour, so now I buy
my bread from small bakery, as her bread is 'divine', and full of body and flavour, and she
makes all types.

Someone told once to use breadmaker to do the mixing, but then cook it in the oven, never try that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know what kind of breadmaker you have but you shouldn't be having those kind of problems if you follow the recipes in the manual. We have used our Black and Decker breadmaker for well over five years now and we would hate to give it up.

Many recipes call for transferring the dough to your own pans and baking it in your own oven and we've never had a problem. As far as taste goes, the bread we turn out is far superior to any commercial bakery product. I'm at a point now where I have developed recipes for the breadmaker from scratch that work great.

The above recipe works just great if you just follow it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting talloola
Someone told once to use breadmaker to do the mixing, but then cook it in the oven, never try that.
Did you put the breadmaker in the oven?..........................Not a good idea.....You can burn the cord.....:lol::roll:

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seriously talloola, breadmakers are useful things to have around. My wife and I have made bread for more than a few years. We only got a breadmaker about five years ago. What the breadmaker does for us is the mixing and kneading of the bread better that we can do it, for up to an hour so we don't have to. We rarely use the bread maker to bake the bread, mainly because of the shape of the loaf, but once in a while we use the timer to have fresh, warm, bread ready for breakfast.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
yup yup yup. have one.. don't use it as often as I used to.. but still love using it when I do. Have a fantastic recipe for cinabon cinamon buns.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
yup yup yup. have one.. don't use it as often as I used to.. but still love using it when I do. Have a fantastic recipe for cinabon cinamon buns.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hey jenn; any machine that will give me, in two hours, a couple pounds of good bread dough to make cinnamon buns or monkey bread with is worth keeping. I wish I had had a breadmaker when the kids were growing up.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You're making me want a bread maker. lol.

No time like the present Karrie. About five years ago our breadmaker cost us around a hundred and fifty dollars. Last week both The Bay and Sears had the same machine on sale for $89.00 You can't go wrong...........:lol::lol:

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
Hey jenn; any machine that will give me, in two hours, a couple pounds of good bread dough to make cinnamon buns or monkey bread with is worth keeping. I wish I had had a breadmaker when the kids were growing up.

so do I..I used to make my bread from scratch a couple times a week when ours were little...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is still my favorite bread maker recipe. It is just a basic Italian bread dough but it can be used for really great rolls or cinnamon rolls, or just good bread. I prefer to make a single long loaf instead of letting the bread maker bake it.

Italian Bread Using a Bread Machine - Allrecipes