How Canada puts Britain to shame over treatment of fallen soldiers

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Checking first link..... Nothing relating to the topic at hand or what is being said... what's the point of this article besides one marine's quote from one situation?

Checking second link...... Wow... good for you, you found one example..... out of how many US soldiers killed so far? My reference was towards the general media attention brought to these fallen soldiers. Perhaps I may have worded myself incorrectly (Edited: Nope... I was very clear in what I was saying) ~ But my above comments were in regards to the level of attention in each country's media that is given for the fallen soldiers, etc.

Checking third link...... What the hell is this supposed to be? A bunch of thumbnail folders of nothing? How about you actually find something?

Google is your friend, try to make use of it before spewing more tripe onto the forums.

Speaking of tripe, you haven't even supplied anything or explained anything about what you are trying to talk about..... or moan about.

Tell you what... how about you tell me how often in both the US and the UK the media and government attention brings across the entire nation about how many soldiers were killed, their names, how they died, when they are leaving that country, when they arrive in their home countries and the funerals?

Last I checked, all that happens is a 15 second blurb on the news that 10 or so US soldiers were killed today by such and such an attack/accident.......... and that's it. No names, no explinations on when they will be leaving Iraq/Afghanistan, no media on the news in regards to the funerals.

Tell you what.... how about I find you a "Google" source of what I was talking about so that you know what the hell you're complaining about next time:

Return of the Fallen
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB152/index.htm

"In response to Freedom of Information Act requests and a lawsuit, the Pentagon this week released hundreds of previously secret images of casualties returning to honor guard ceremonies from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars and other conflicts, confirming that images of their flag-draped coffins are rightfully part of the public record, despite its earlier insistence that such images should be kept secret."

or how about this one:

Return of U.S. war dead kept solemn, secret
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-12-31-casket-usat_x.htm

"An honor guard removed the aluminum "transfer case" containing the body from the aircraft, as other military officers present to receive the slain servicemember snapped salutes. The honor guard process here at Dover — repeated hundreds of times since the Iraq war began — is dignified and reverent. And it's carried out in secret, off-limits to the media.

This wasn't always the case. Photographs and film footage of caskets coming home from battlefields have been a stark reminder for Americans of the toll of war. During the Vietnam War, the image of caskets arriving at Dover became a staple of the nightly news. The phrase "Dover Test" later came to signify public tolerance, or lack of it, for mounting war casualties.

Since 1991, the media have been banned from covering the arrival of remains at Dover. The air base houses the military's largest mortuary, where bodies are prepared for burial before they are sent to the families' hometowns.

In March, before the Iraq war began, the Pentagon clamped down on similar coverage from military installations around the world, such as Ramstein Air Base in Germany or in Afghanistan. "The prohibition includes ... the movement of remains at any point," the Pentagon guidelines say.

The result is that images of caskets being returned to U.S. soil are not shown to the American public. This policy contrasts with Italy's national display of grief last month when 19 of that country's troops died in an Iraq suicide bombing and received a state funeral through the streets of Rome."

So how about next time before you start to shoot your mouth off about me spewing tripe, that perhaps you learn how to do so yourself, read what's being said and actually supply something useful for once.

K'Thanx'Bye.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
In short, you're not reading anything being said, which also expresses you probably haven't bothered to read anything of fact recently which relates to what's going on over there.... therefore you're short minded and ignorant over what's actually going on, you're now getting offended that I'm not jumping on your unsupported band-wagon and that I actually know more about this topic then you do.... so now you're going to try and avoid a ligit debate by throwing out ignorant statements and resorting to personal insults.

Quite mature of you, I must say. Your own comments in this thread speak bounds about your mentality and knowlege of this topic. I don't really need to say much more to you in this regard.

Pure nonsense driven by your own patriotic small minded swill.

Do you have a wittle Canadian flag you wave from time to time to show how Canadian you are?:lol:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think it is more than that. I think we should be publically affirming and appreciating the price these soldiers have paid. It somehow seems inappropriate to quietly bring the bodies in at night and the public should be aware what the war is costing us.

If the soldier's families want that, then fine. If they don't, I think their needs are more important than ours and they should be respected. It isn't fair to use their grief as a teaching tool if they don't want it to be.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If the soldier's families want that, then fine. If they don't, I think their needs are more important than ours and they should be respected. It isn't fair to use their grief as a teaching tool if they don't want it to be.

Don't agree Tracy;
It is between the soldiers and the country they died for. The families can do as they like. After the country has honoured them.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Slow to get on the 401 to make some more precious money? If it wasn't for those people, in other circumstances, your janitorship may well be out of a job. Why not have the whole nation out to say thanks for the sacrifice and apologies on behalf of a war that's not our own.

Woof!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Pure nonsense driven by your own patriotic small minded swill.

Do you have a wittle Canadian flag you wave from time to time to show how Canadian you are?:lol:

Ok, now you're just being an idiot, along with being ignorant. There's no point in debating with someone who is as Black and White as a Christian Fundamentalist.

Moving on.....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Which is also holding true, as a few cases recently the families requested the funerals to be private and thus, they were.... which leads me to believe there is no propaganda at play in these situations because it goes to the family's requests 1st.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Geez. People on Edmonton's streets yesterday didn't even want to stop for the possibly dying man who'd been run over on his street bike. Lying crumpled against a tree, horrified onlookers waiting for emergency crews, traffic was irritated and impatient. I can't even imagine the ignorance people spew when faced with a highway being closed for someone who's already gone.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done... people need to learn to get over themselves in my opinion... but, I can just imagine what a bureaucratic nightmare it is.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Don't agree Tracy;
It is between the soldiers and the country they died for. The families can do as they like. After the country has honoured them.

You don't honour anyone when you disrespect their family. They've given enough to their country without this being demanded from them if they don't want it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Slow to get on the 401 to make some more precious money? If it wasn't for those people, in other circumstances, your janitorship may well be out of a job. Why not have the whole nation out to say thanks for the sacrifice and apologies on behalf of a war that's not our own.

Woof!

Yep, if they weren't there we'd be ruled by the Taliban.

Give me a break.:roll:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Ok, now you're just being an idiot, along with being ignorant. There's no point in debating with someone who is as Black and White as a Christian Fundamentalist.

Moving on.....

I don't blame you for running away considering I was right....it happens quite often.

senorita

Nominee Member
Oct 29, 2007
Ontario
There is more to respecting soldiers who died than a flamboyant funeral. Appreciation for an indivudal's life should never end at the funeral ceremony. Just my two cents.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Patriotism is a tool used by the elite to solicit certain behaviour from the sheeple. If someone wants to honour stupidity then that is their choice. I am thankful there are so many stupid people.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Patriotism is a tool used by the elite to solicit certain behaviour from the sheeple. If someone wants to honour stupidity then that is their choice. I am thankful there are so many stupid people.

I don't like the fact Canadian troops are over there. I respect the fact they're getting some combat experience. Never go cold into a war that matters. Soldiers don't ask if they can go. They go because they are ordered to go.

Woof!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I think it is more than that. I think we should be publically affirming and appreciating the price these soldiers have paid. It somehow seems inappropriate to quietly bring the bodies in at night and the public should be aware what the war is costing us.

I think the issue is that the war isn't costing you anything.

It cost them everything, and if they decide they don't want fuss or a big state funeral. Then its not your business. Alot of people don't want the stress it places on their families.

It should be an option, it can even be the default option, but they are soldiers not slaves. They have the same right to privacy as anyone else.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It should be an option, it can even be the default option, but they are soldiers not slaves. They have the same right to privacy as anyone else.

Plus, they're gone. What the government owned and ordered about and controlled, is gone. What's left, and whose rights are in play, are the family, not the soldier. Unless the soldier wrote out his final wishes, then it's the wishes of the family which are to be respected, just like any other funeral.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I don't like the fact Canadian troops are over there. I respect the fact they're getting some combat experience. Never go cold into a war that matters. Soldiers don't ask if they can go. They go because they are ordered to go.

Soldiers sign up to be soldiers.

Want to serve your country? Volunteer at the hospital, pick up trash at the park, etc

Want to kill people? Become a soldier.

I don't care what justification people use to be soldiers the bottom line is that to voluntarily become a soldier you must, at some level, want to kill people or, at the very least, be OK with killing people someone else tells you to kill; that is to say, you are comfortable enough with the idea of killing that you will leave the decision of who to kill up to other people.

I have no respect for people like that.