Has Iggy lost his Groove?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Walter it’s time for a change.
I'll go for that. Between the Cons and the Glibs, Canada has been held back from developing to its best potential, and the Glibs have had the most practise at that activity.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Well we now have enough polling data over a fairly decent time interval to get a nice set of trend lines on the Federal approval rankings.

Harper and the Cons are slightly but steadily and consistently up.

Iggy and the Libs are slightly but consistently down.

Bummer for the Igglet.

So assuming Harper doesn't commit verbal sepukku in the media before fall.
Iggy looks pretty much hooped for a fall election.
And the Libs can surely not afford to gamble their last few pieces of silver on a lame horse.
4 to 6 more months of the trained seal show before another shot at whining about the unfairness and horribleness of it all.

Will he stay or will he go?

Harvard calls.

wink wink nudge nudge

Trex

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
Iggy is just treading water right now. He needs to shape up and that will take time. You can't just dive into politics without any formal experience. let him test the waters. He'll be ready when the time comes

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Iggy is just treading water right now. He needs to shape up and that will take time. You can't just dive into politics without any formal experience. let him test the waters. He'll be ready when the time comes

The more I see and hear of the guy the more I hope he is ready.......for a sound thrashing.

He increasingly reminds me of the lines in Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick :

I've come down from the Upper Class
to mend your rotten ways.
My father was a man of power,
whom every one obeyed.

And YES it does matter that he abandoned Canada for decades, that he only returned when the carrot of power was dangled in front of him, that he saw himself as an American, that he never returned to invest some of his venerated intellectual prowess in Canada, and that he probably intends to return to the USA if he fails......

F%$K him!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The more I see and hear of the guy the more I hope he is ready.......for a sound thrashing.

He increasingly reminds me of the lines in Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick :

I've come down from the Upper Class
to mend your rotten ways.
My father was a man of power,
whom every one obeyed.

And YES it does matter that he abandoned Canada for decades, that he only returned when the carrot of power was dangled in front of him, that he saw himself as an American, that he never returned to invest some of his venerated intellectual prowess in Canada, and that he probably intends to return to the USA if he fails......

F%$K him!

I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far, but by the same token I haven't seen anythign there I'm ready to vote for either. I guess that's the difference between being a Conservative and not having ANY use for any of them.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
‘Bogus’ peacekeeping?

It wasn’t long ago that Michael Ignatieff had harsh words for Canada

Michael Ignatieff, Liberal leader, is lavish in his adoration for the country and the people he wishes to lead. His recently published book, True Patriot Love, which dovetailed with his ascension to the Liberal party leadership, is replete with fuzzy bromides about Canada and its “quietly but intensely patriotic” citizens.
Yet Michael Ignatieff, Harvard professor and public intellectual, was once slightly more harsh toward his native land. Following a 2005 lecture at the University of Dublin’s Trinity College, Ignatieff excoriated Canadians for trading on Canada’s “entirely bogus reputation as peacekeepers” for 40 years and for favouring “hospitals and schools and roads” over international citizenship. “If you are a human rights defender and you want something done to stop [a] massacre, you have to go to the Pentagon, because no one else is serious,” Ignatieff said.
“It’s disgusting in my own country, and I love my country, Canada, but they would rather bitch about their rich neighbour to the south than actually pay the note,” he said, in response to a question about peacekeeping. “To pay the bill to be an international citizen is not something that they want to do.”
Ignatieff gave the lecture while he was director of Harvard’s Carr Center for Human Rights Policy. The talk, which received brief mention in Canadian media at the time, reiterated Ignatieff’s belief that the U.S. is a force for good in the world. “Don’t forget that the speech given by a U.S. president that most committed the United States to the promotion of human rights and democracy in the Arab world was given by George W. Bush,” he said. He later told the Irish Times that he was taken aback by the “waves of anti-American and anti-Bush feeling in an Irish audience.” It was in the question-and-answer session which followed, and which has never been reported, that Ignatieff was most critical of Canada.

From Maclean's

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Everyday that Iggy resides as the leader of the opposition is a banner day for all Canadians. The guy is a walking land mine for the liberals and no one knows when he'll explode in the face of the lib party of Canada.

It'll be great to watch the libs get their collective asses handed to them in the next election and watch them wander aimless and lost in the woods for a long time to come.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Everyday that Iggy resides as the leader of the opposition is a banner day for all Canadians. The guy is a walking land mine for the liberals and no one knows when he'll explode in the face of the lib party of Canada.

It'll be great to watch the libs get their collective asses handed to them in the next election and watch them wander aimless and lost in the woods for a long time to come.

Politics is funny- We just don't know for sure what kind of P.M. Iggy would make, I haven't seen enough of him to convince me either way, like 95% of them he could be like a used car salesman (maybe an Edsel dealer)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Coming to a milk carton near you

Jul 22, 2009 by Scott Feschuk
Back from some time away and, okay, very funny and everything guys but, um, what have you done with Michael Ignatieff?
I swear – he was right here when I left. Tall guy. Smart. Fairly eyebrowy. Come on, you remember him! He was threatening this and wagging his finger at that – then he flipped a pancake or two out in Calgary and… poof! Gonzo.
Has anybody checked the salons of 18th century Europe?
Don’t get me wrong: I understand the rigors of a relaxing leadership mosey grueling leadership marathon could leave even the most resilient of politicians aching for some R&R.
And I totally get that it takes a lot out of a man to exercise the will required to extract from our Prime Minister a concession as formidable as a panel to look into the possibility of examining certain potential changes that could theoretically be made to Employment Insurance eventually.
Plus, he wrote that book that totally captured the public imagination just like Cutthroat Island and 3D Doritos.
But enough clowning around, guys. Where’d you stash him?

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
The reason we've heard little from Ignatieff lately is becuase there haven't been any pressing issues, especially since Parliament is currently shut down.

Many wish he was down, but he's not.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia

He never said he saw himself as an American. The quote is "...as much your country as it is mine." As a resident in the US at the time, he was a stakeholder of the affairs there as would anybody be living in a country beyond their own.

I'd like all those who question Ignatieff's commitment to Canada explain why he never took out British or American citizenship while he was away. He choose to keep a single citizenship, and that was Canadian citizenship.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The reason we've heard little from Ignatieff lately is becuase there haven't been any pressing issues, especially since Parliament is currently shut down.

Many wish he was down, but he's not.
Best time of the year is when everyone's life, limb and property are relatively safe from the underwig occurrences in Ottawa.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I saw Iggy on the CBC asking why the Tories weren't supporting Medicare while Fox and other right wing fanatics are currently attacking it. A good example of how the Tories are so pro-American they will let important social programs taking a beating. Harper loves Obama and he loves Bush. Time to be rid of this menace.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I saw Iggy on the CBC asking why the Tories weren't supporting Medicare while Fox and other right wing fanatics are currently attacking it.

Since when is it the Canadian PM's job to rebut American news shows. That's one of Iggy's biggest problems...he doesn't really know what the PM's job is. That's understandable though because all that time away from Canada he probably forgot. What's your excuse?