Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Congressman posts family Christmas picture with guns, days after school shooting
Author of the article:
Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:
Dec 06, 2021 • 15 hours ago • 1 minute read •
38 Comments
U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) in a Christmas photo of his family holding guns, in this image obtained from Twitter, posted on December 4, 2021.
U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) in a Christmas photo of his family holding guns, in this image obtained from Twitter, posted on December 4, 2021. Photo by @REPTHOMASMASSIE /Twitter
Article content

WASHINGTON — A U.S. congressman on Saturday posted a Christmas picture of himself and what appeared to be his family, smiling and posing with an assortment of guns, just days after four teenagers were killed in a shooting at a Michigan high school.

“Merry Christmas! ps. Santa, please bring ammo,” U.S. Representative Thomas Massie of Kentucky wrote on Twitter.

Ethan Crumbley, 15, is accused of carrying out the deadliest U.S. school shooting this year, the latest in a decades-long series of mass shootings at U.S. schools. His parents were arrested on Saturday in connection with last Tuesday’s slayings.

Massie, who represents a solidly Republican district, posted the picture of himself and six others holding firearms resembling an M60 machine gun, AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and a Thompson submachine gun.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Some semi-automatic weapons are made to look nearly identical to fully automatic weapons like machine guns. Under U.S. law, weapons like machine guns are restricted to the military, law enforcement and civilians who have obtained special licenses for weapons made before May 1986.

Jonathan van Norman, a campaign manager for Massie, did not immediately reply to a request for comment via Twitter.

Democratic U.S. Representative John Yarmuth, who chairs the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee, condemned his fellow Kentuckian’s post.

“I’m old enough to remember Republicans screaming that it was insensitive to try to protect people from gun violence after a tragedy,” Yarmuth wrote on Twitter, apparently referring to calls for gun control laws.

“I promise not everyone in Kentucky is an insensitive asshole,” he added. The shooting in Oxford, Michigan – in which four teenagers were killed and a teacher and six other students were wounded – was the latest in a string of sometimes-deadlier incidents that have prompted fierce debates over school safety, gun control and gun rights.
“I promise not everyone in Kentucky is an insensitive asshole,”

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
FIRE STARTED BY BULLETS … IN TOASTER OVEN
Bullets and toaster ovens don’t mix.
In this case, the combination made for a fire hazard.
Firefighters in Greenwood, S.C., said they think a fire started inside an assisted-living facility on Nov. 28 as a result of bullets inside a toaster oven, WYFF reported.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content
That night, emergency personnel were called to Morningside Assisted Living after reports of gunshots and a fire alarm. Cops said a small fire had started inside the room of one of the residents where a person was found unconscious.
The person was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. According to police, the fire started after the unnamed resident had fired several rounds of ammunition at the toaster oven, which caused the bullets to discharge.
Firefighters put out the flames quickly and no other injuries were reported.
I've been upset with my appliances from time to time but the idea of shooting them never crossed my mind. :ROFLMAO:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The warrent gave them the right to enter the premisis. Whether they had the right to shoot anybody is another matter. And I also think it is generally considered impolite to not bring along someone from the actual jurisdiction even if it was fully legal without (to enter premises).
But is it legal for them to enforce a warrant outside their jurisdiction? Maybe more to the point can a judge even give them a warrant for the premises outside their jurisdiction?
From what I have read so far this was a premeditated murder and I hope the shooter and everyone of his superiors right up to the mayor get convicted.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
But is it legal for them to enforce a warrant outside their jurisdiction? Maybe more to the point can a judge even give them a warrant for the premises outside their jurisdiction?
From what I have read so far this was a premeditated murder and I hope the shooter and everyone of his superiors right up to the mayor get convicted.
From the enforcement and entering part, I think the fact they got the warrant answers your own question.

I tend to agree with you about everything else that happened based upon what I have read so far.

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
From the enforcement and entering part, I think the fact they got the warrant answers your own question.

I tend to agree with you about everything else that happened based upon what I have read so far.
Agreed. Figuring out all the relevant laws would be tangle-of-yarn stuff.

I think somebody with a proper warrant in hand is entitled to assume they have a right to execute it. It's the magistrate's job to make sure the warrant is appropriately limited, and to make sure the executor is aware of the limitations.

As far as the use of force, from all the cases of "suspects" running or resisting to this, we all need ongoing reviews of use-of-force policies.

Personally, my baseline is "no agent of the state should have any right or privilege not available to all."

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s something interesting coming down the pipe:

MMPs that would be repealed under Bill C-5​

Criminal Code

The reforms to MMPs would only apply to certain offences, and would not limit the ability of a judge to impose a sentence of imprisonment, particularly where doing so is necessary to protect the safety of the public.

To address the overincarceration rate of Indigenous peoples, as well as Black and marginalized Canadians, MMPs for the following offences would be repealed:

• Using a firearm or imitation firearm in commission of offence (two separate offences)
    • Paragraphs 85(3)(a) and (b): MMPs of 1 year (first offence) and 3 years (second and subsequent offence)
  • Possession of firearm or weapon knowing its possession is unauthorized (two separate offences)
    • Paragraphs 92(3)(b) and (c): MMP of 1 year (second offence) and 2 years less a day (third and subsequent offence)
  • Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
    • Paragraphs 95(2)(i) and (ii): MMPs of 3 years (first offence) and 5 years (second and subsequent offence)
  • Possession of weapon obtained by commission of offence
    • Paragraph 96(2)(a): MMP of 1 year
  • Weapons trafficking (excluding firearms and ammunition)
    • Subsection 99(3): MMP of 1 year
  • Possession for purpose of weapons trafficking (excluding firearms and ammunition)
    • Subsection 100(3): MMP of 1 year
  • Importing or exporting knowing it is unauthorized
    • Subsection 103(2.1): MMP of 1 year
  • Discharging firearm with intent
    • Paragraph 244(2)(b): MMP of 4 years
  • Discharging firearm — recklessness
    • Paragraph 244.2(3)(b): MMP of 4 years
  • Robbery with a firearm
    • Paragraph 344(1)(a.1): MMP of 4 years
  • Extortion with a firearm
    • Paragraph 346(1.1)(a.1): MMP of 4 years
  • Selling, etc., of tobacco products and raw leaf tobacco
    • Subparagraphs 121.1 (4)(a)(i),(ii) and (iii): MMPs of 90 days (second offence), MMP of 180 days (third offence) and MMP of 2 years less a day (fourth and subsequent offence)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Here's why gun control arguments are basically useless. . .

Fact: In the United States, a vanishingly small number of homicides have been committed with automatic weapons.

One side sees this as a reason automatic weapons should not be banned/tightly regulated.

The other side sees this a wild success for the Gun Control Acts of 1968 and 1986 (both of which took strong steps to limit/ban automatic weapons), which could and should be replicated with other types of guns.

(There's a third side, so far gone that they'll try to apply the generally-understood term "automatic weapon" to weapons that do not fit within the category.)

In other words, facts don't matter. Yet we still treat them as coin of the realm.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio man who killed teen daughter mistook her for intruder: Wife
Author of the article:
Postmedia News
Publishing date:
Dec 31, 2021 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read •