Group to petition Richmond, B.C., to police Chinese language signs in city

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
I agree with some posters commenting on the article Group to petition Richmond, B.C., to police Chinese language signs in city. “It's understandable if they want to have signage in their native language, but there should be an accurate English translation below or beside the Chinese seeing as this is Canada.”
Where I live we have Chinatown, Little Italy, ‘Avenue of Nations’ and many, many more areas of different nationalities. Most signs I have seen are in both English and the language of the store/restaurant owners. No I do not want to see language police in other parts of Canada. Bad enough they are in Quebec. When I was younger, we always went to this 1 café for coffee. It was Greek owned, called Hot Box; if I remember correctly their menu was in both English and Greek, that was almost 40 years ago.
I agree with damngrumpy, if I cannot read any part of the sign or menu, I’ll leave. No big deal. The way I look at it is, if you don’t want to put any English on your sign, you don’t want/need my business. That’s their choice, then… oh well…
Well, maybe there should be accurate English translation but there should not be any language law.

I do my grocery shopping at Safeway, to be totally honest, I have a problem with.. when I want to look for/at an item, the french side is facing me. In Edmonton, in Alberta.... Am I the only one?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Lousy immigrants.

If they want to speak Chinese, they can go back to China!

If they want to speak French, they can go back to France!

If they want to speak English, they can go back to England!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
80% of Canadians don't know English? Really! 8O No you pulled that out of the air.... According to the 2011 census, English and French are the mother tongues of 56.9% and 21.3% of Canadians respectively.

Give me the link please for the 80%.

My bad. I meant only about 80% know English. Sorry.

Our official languages are French and English. If you are not willing to learn either official language why even move to Canada?: Under the Canadian Constitution, the federal government has both English and French as its official languages in respect of all government services, including the courts, and all federal legislation is enacted bilingually. New Brunswick is the only Canadian province that has both English and French as its official languages to the same extent, with constitutional entrenchment.

The Official Languages Act was a collective power grab between English and French Canadians in collusion: I don't think very highly of it. As for knowing English before coming to Canada, plenty of immigrants to Quebec only know French, and according to Statscan2006 about 15% of Nunavummiut speak neither official language well. I wouldn't call them immigrants seeing that they'd been living up north for millennia.

yet our official languages are English and French so I guess there needs to be some adjusting done.

English and french because we decided out oft hin air that, poof, we're 'two founding nations' and indiegenous peoples aren't included in that description. How convenient. If you read the B&B Report, it's just a bunch of pseudoscience about 'founding races' and all that jazz/

This is the country they have chosen as their new home.

Most if not all Nunavummiut are born in Canada, and if they're not, then they have a parent who is I'm sure. Hardly immigrants even if 15% of them don't know our languages.

If I were moving to Brazil I would be damn certain that I was working on learning to speak, read and write Portuguese. Wouldn't you, or do they have to adjust to me?

Bad example, like in Canada, some indigenous Brazilians do not speak Portuguese. Portugal might be a better example.

Are you studying Chinese? or if you move, you will have to study Italian or wait maybe Arabic, or hm, this area speaks Spanish.. how is that going to work? Explain please.
An easy-to-learn auxiliary language would suffice, no? If that's your argument, and you consider that few French and English Canadians learn one anothers' languages, and that even some indigenous Canadians fail to learn our languages well, then according to your argument for the need for a common nation-wide language all can learn, then Esperanto or some other extremely easy to learn language would be preferable, no?

Our official languages are French and English. If you are not willing to learn either official language why even move to Canada?: Under the Canadian Constitution, the federal government has both English and French as its official languages in respect of all government services, including the courts, and all federal legislation is enacted bilingually. New Brunswick is the only Canadian province that has both English and French as its official languages to the same extent, with constitutional entrenchment.

Again, many indigenous Canadians, especially in the North, do not speak our languages, or at least not very well. Are they foreigners?[/QUOTE]

I would like to remind all that recent changes to our immigration law require the persons to be literate in either one of our official languages. I don't support Harper on a lot of things but this is one that I do. If you want to live in this country you had better learn the common language of the area and to me that includes signs on your businesses.

So you should learn signs on your business? I don't follow? What does putting signs on your business have to do with learning the language? I was born in Canada, am fluent in both official languages, and want the right to put up a sign in Arabic if I want to.

Lousy immigrants.

My sentiments exactly.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Sal

Why should signs be only in Chinese in an English speaking country

Which English country are you talking about .

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm...

I quite enjoy the mystery of what the shop sells, until you enter and find out when cruising in Markham.

I've found some very fine dining establishments, where you can enjoy authentic Chinese, Laotian, Thai, Cambodian, and even Japanese cuisine that way. Hell, if you go over two blocks to the west from Markham Rd. and turn south, you can get some of the best Mediterranean and East Asian foods and Halal, you'll fined in Ontario.

I can understand what LW is getting at, but on the other hand, I know most Paramedics know their areas pretty well around these parts.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I always thought that cities that a real Chinatown did have signage like that on shops? Why is everyone so up in arms about it? Xenophobes?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I always thought that cities that a real Chinatown did have signage like that on shops? Why is everyone so up in arms about it? Xenophobes?
Hell, in Tdot's Chinatown, they have dual street signs, English and Chinese.

It just adds to the wonderful mosaic that is Canada.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know! Some folks out there must be paranoid or something, lol.

It's not like they'll turn you away if you try to get service there or anything.
I'm going to say "Gawd NO!", but you can sometimes run into a little snarkiness from staff.

You can find prejudices in all walks of life.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm going to say "Gawd NO!", but you can sometimes run into a little snarkiness from staff.

You can find prejudices in all walks of life.

Yeah, you can. My experience with most Asians and their culture is that they (mostly)will bend over backwards to be hospitable, but it's kind of superficial because they really segregate themselves too. That's just an observation. But I've found that their kids, born here, seem to really integrate quicker than a lot of other immigrant groups. Again, don't know if that's actually true, but that's been my observation.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah, you can. My experience with most Asians and their culture is that they (mostly)will bend over backwards to be hospitable, but it's kind of superficial because they really segregate themselves too. That's just an observation. But I've found that their kids, born here, seem to really integrate quicker than a lot of other immigrant groups. Again, don't know if that's actually true, but that's been my observation.
I get the segregation you see, I think it's a comfort thing, birds of a feather and all.

I've experienced inclusiveness and exclusion. But nothing that was any different from any other neighbourhood or region.

Anytime SCB, the boys and I have gone exploring in Markham, we've always left with a smile.

It really doesn't matter where you go really, I think if you go with the mindset of exploring new and pleasant things, you will likely find what you're looking for.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Lousy immigrants.

Umm... I was born in Canada, I speak english, (or I thought that's what it is.) According to you, If I want to speak english, where do I "go
back to"? What language do you speak? Where do you come from?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Umm... I was born in Canada, I speak english, (or I thought that's what it is.) According to you, If I want to speak english, where do I "go
back to"?
Asked and answered. England.

What language do you speak?
American Sign Language, English, some French, German, a little Japanese, Shawnee, and some Spanish.

Where do you come from?
Turtle Island.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
check out how this article ends: But do we really want to see 'language police' in other parts of Canada?

Then I guess I do because I don't want to see signs in every language known to man just according to who lives in the area. Keep them consistent. I don't mind if they have signs up common to the neighbourhood but they should be in English too.

I actually miss most of the street signs back in Canada.

You don't notice it much, but most of the signs are image / icon based.... such as when a lane is about to end, you get the graphic of two lanes with one ending to the side.
http://www.strassman.info/kyodai/roadsigns.jpg

Here in Australia, many of the same signs are long worded signs....
http://www.roadsignsaustralia.com.au/portals/0/images/Product Guide July 2011-3.jpg

^ So you end up spending more time with your eyes off the road and trying to read wtf is going on. You get used to it, but it's still annoying..... and must suck for the people who don't speak/read english very well.... maybe that's a good thing, but what's even funny is how you drive along their freeways and almost every overpass has a huge billboard jammed right in your face....

.... and the best thing?

The billboards from Vic Roads in big bold text: "DISTRACTIONS LEAD TO DISASTER!"

No Sh*t!! And I just read that going 100kmh down a 5 lane freeway surrounded by train trucks.... Fk'n made my day!

What's my point?

If you have multiple languages in a country, or even just one to worry about.... images work a hell of a lot better... the universal language.

In regards to the OP, I don't mind Chinese or any other language on signs, so long as there is some English on them as well. I wouldn't go so far as Quebec does in that they want the language removed or to have French take 75-90% of the sign, etc... but at least having something on there in English.

However, in the linked article, they should have used a photo of a relative sign in question.... the photo used has English easily readable and taking up the majority of the sign with the Chinese at the top in a much smaller size.

^ If they're upset over that, then they're wasting everybody's time.

How about some of the Gaelic signs in Cape Breton? Should we tear those down??

What about all the Inuit Signage in the North?