Government quietly made 'back door' agreement with U.S. that could undermine treaty on plastic waste

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Campaigners, scientists say Trudeau government showed 'bad faith' by using loophole on plastic waste​

Evan Dyer - CBC News

Posted: December 03, 2020

APFN AS Philippines Canada Garbage 20190516
Filipino environmental activists wear a mock shipping container filled with garbage to symbolize the 50 containers of waste that were shipped from Canada to the Philippines in 2013 and 2014 during a protest outside the Canadian embassy in Manila, Philippines, May 7, 2015. (The Associated Press)

Environmental groups are accusing the Trudeau government of acting in bad faith after it quietly signed a bilateral agreement with the U.S. that could allow it to evade some of its obligations to stop shipping plastic waste to poor countries around the world.

The agreement — which was never publicly announced or gazetted — was signed on Oct. 26, 2020, the U.S. State Department told CBC News.

Environment Canada declined CBC's requests to see the text. But experts on plastic waste say it runs counter to the spirit of the Basel Convention on plastic waste and appears to be designed to allow Canada to evade its obligations.

"This is, in effect, a backdoor for Canada to offload its waste problems to the U.S., who will offload to the very countries potentially that the Basel Convention amendment is meant to stop," said Myra Hird of Queens University, a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada who represented Canada at the G7's microplastics summit last year.

"It was not the spirit of the amendment and what we were proclaiming to sign on to."

Negative publicity​

The plastic waste amendments to the Basel Convention, which take effect on January 1, 2021, effectively limit nations to shipping plastic recyclables only to other signatory countries that are bound by the same rules.

They also require prior informed consent from the receiving country.

Canada accepted those amendments after a flood of negative publicity about Canadian plastic waste — much of it mislabelled as recyclable — being dumped in developing countries such as the Philippines and Cambodia.

A dispute with the Philippines over the issue led to Manila recalling its ambassador to Ottawa, and only ended in May when the Canadian government paid to ship 69 containers of garbage back to Vancouver.

Canada informed the UN on March 9 of this year that it "supports and fully intends to comply" with the ban.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What would the Conservatives do, keeping in mind their priorities of taxing the middle class more and taxing the wealthy even less? If it wasn't for the Conservatives rejection of social change we wouldn't have th plastic problem in the first place.

But alas we do because Conservatives don't believe in environmental issues. They haven't even accepted Anthropogenic climate change yet!

If the Liberals did it, it must be a better solution to the problem than the Conservatives would ever offer.
Damn that Conservative government for signing the secret treaty in 2020/10/26. For shame.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What would the Conservatives do, keeping in mind their priorities of taxing the middle class more and taxing the wealthy even less? If it wasn't for the Conservatives rejection of social change we wouldn't have th plastic problem in the first place.

But alas we do because Conservatives don't believe in environmental issues. They haven't even accepted Anthropogenic climate change yet!

If the Liberals did it, it must be a better solution to the problem than the Conservatives would ever offer.
Two tier bottle deposit rates. Problem solved.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
It's always been a priority of the more progressives in Canada.
Would the Conservatives allow more taxation to pay for the changes needed?
And if so then who would they tax?
Know thy enemy!
The big question is what increase in tax will the Libs. put on the taxpayer to implement their plastic ban promise

p.s. Plastic isn't the problem, littering is, mainly in the Pacific rim of the world

Reactions: taxslave

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Do the Conservatives even have an agenda anymore, other than destroying our healthcare system and taxing the very wealthy less?

What could it be now that the shithole country to our south has failed so miserably with it's extreme rightist nonsense.
Poor deluded progressive globalist!

Attachments

• 1607110712426.jpeg
    1607110712426.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I put all my plastic and glass in my maroon bin where it's taken away every fortnight to be recycled.

All my cardboard and paper waste goes into my peachy/yellowy bin where it's taken away every fortnight to be recycled.

All my gardening and food waste goes into my green bin where it's taken away every fortnight to be turned into electricity.

The rest gets put into the black bin where it's dumped at the tip next to the warehouse I work at.

1607112966486.png

Reactions: taxslave