Globe & Mail Chastises Cons For Oil Reliance

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Everybody's an expert! The world economy is down the tube and it's all the fault of the Conservatives.
Well let's just see how Trudeau can fix everything. He thinks he can. Right!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's coz of all the virgins.

Icky gunky poison sands.

The same lipids that your heart pumps.

No, no. Tar sands are dirty, gooey and Brigitte Bardot and Al Gore obcess about them. "Oil Sands" are a premium brand produced by only the very finest of open pit mines.

The bitumen, you say?

Are you on nuclear power? The open pit uranium mines don't bug you?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The same lipids that your heart pumps.

Are you on nuclear power? The open pit uranium mines don't bug you?

Of course they don't. If you have a diamond anything, it probably came from a massive bore hole into a Kimberlite pipe. The iron in my car probably came from a massive hole. The nickel and zinc on the galvanized body panels did for sure. There is no safer nor more economic way of mining anything. Beats the living hell out of sending miners down shafts to their deaths.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So oil sands open pits don't bother you either?

Really? I don't have a clue about the mining industry. Got anymore enlightenment?

BTW, what's your point?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

The oil sands will be fully exploited, sooner or later, no matter what any of us think because the oil will be needed, sooner or later, for all of the important things that we make from it. We might consider cleaning up the processing a bit. We burn a hell of a pile of oil to extract more oil. It is easy to do so but not very logical or efficient ... or clean ... to do it that way.

Really? I don't have a clue about the mining industry. Got anymore enlightenment?

BTW, what's your point?

I don't know why you are all over me! Cripes, what a chip! What is your frikkin' problem? Maybe you misread something? Maybe you are just naturally like this?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
12% of oil sands are mined the rest is extracted insitu. What makes you think companies don't do everything possible to increase efficiency and of course the bottom line?

It's like GMO ragers. Monsanto Monsanto Monsanto but when you ask what about Aventis? They ask "who"?

You aren't one of those are you?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
12% of oil sands are mined the rest is extracted insitu. What makes you think companies don't do everything possible to increase efficiency
Generally true, but not "everything." "Everything" would include giving half of the vice presidents their walking papers.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Re: Globe & Mail Chastises Cons dFor Oil Reliance

Ontario is still the manufacturing hub of Canada as no significant hubs outside of Quebec or Ontario have yet emerged. The economics of manufacturing in a place like BC or Alberta are just silly unless you are willing to pay your workers like Chinese peasants. The East has a manufacturing tradition that goes back before WWI but it is clearly winding down, now probably forever. The same thing is happening in a big way to the south of us, too and in Europe.

Bad choice of words on my part. Geographically, you are right, it is still the hub. It just isn't a very prosperous one anymore.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That is very bad news for Ft. McMurray. They must be hemouraging millions, already. Where does the B.E.P. for oil sands occur? $45 / barrel?

Not really. There is still lots of oil being extracted and processed. Just a slowdown in new developments which is not necessarily a bad thing.There is another one opening up north of Ft. Mac. Just can't remember the name of it. One of my friends just went there today.

BC doesn't need manufacturing. We got raisin warehouses. Lots and lots of raisin warehouses. Of course along with them comes lots of mortuaries. And we got lots of tourists to sell popcorn to.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Not really. There is still lots of oil being extracted and processed. Just a slowdown in new developments which is not necessarily a bad thing.There is another one opening up north of Ft. Mac. Just can't remember the name of it. One of my friends just went there today.

BC doesn't need manufacturing. We got raisin warehouses. Lots and lots of raisin warehouses. Of course along with them comes lots of mortuaries. And we got lots of tourists to sell popcorn to.

Fort Mckay?