Glen Beck, The climate of Fear

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
"U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said earlier this month global warming, blamed mainly on burning fossil fuels, could raise sea levels by 50 cm to 2 meters (20 inches to 6 ft 6 in) this century -- higher than most experts have predicted."

Get out the waders, something is happening.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090923/sc_nm/us_climate_antarctica
From the article:
"We think that warm ocean currents reaching the coast and melting the glacier front is the most likely cause of faster glacier flow," he said in a statement.
In fact, ice flows speed up because of a greater volume and weight of ice pushing them down.

And just a little while ago they were worried because of the flow was slowing.

Scientists Detect Thickening of West Antarctic ice Sheet

The stability of the West Antarctic ice sheet has long been a concern because of the potentially catastrophic rise in sea level that would result from its collapse. Researchers at UCSC and NASA now report that, contrary to previous studies, at least one part of the ice sheet is actually growing rather than shrinking.

Assistant professor of Earth sciences Slawek Tulaczyk and Ian Joughin of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory used satellite radar images to map the flow of ice in the ice sheet and estimate how its mass is changing. They reported their findings in the January 18 issue of the journal Science.

"The West Antarctic ice sheet has been retreating for several thousand years, so to look now and see that it is growing is staggering to me," Tulaczyk said. "Within the past 200 years, the ice sheet seems to have switched fairly rapidly from a negative mass balance to a positive mass balance."

Antarctica's huge ice sheets are fed by snow falling in the interior of the continent. The ice gradually flows out toward the edges. The West Antarctic ice sheet is considered less stable than the larger East Antarctic ice sheet because much of it rests on land that is below sea level, and parts of it, called ice shelves, are floating on the sea.

A positive mass balance means that more ice is accumulating than is leaving the ice sheet. The reason, according to Tulaczyk and Joughin, is that major ice streams have slowed or stopped moving altogether. Ice streams are fast-moving currents of ice within the ice sheet that carry large volumes of ice out onto the floating ice shelves.

Earlier work by Tulaczyk may explain why the ice streams are slowing down. The ice streams slide over a bed of sediment saturated with liquid water, but an ice stream will grind to a halt if its bed becomes cold enough for the water to freeze. Tulaczyk showed that thinning of the ice sheet allows more heat to escape from the bed, eventually leading to freezing conditions.

The ice sheet has been retreating and thinning since the end of the last ice age more than 10,000 years ago. The changes now being detected by Tulaczyk and Joughin may signal the end of this process.

"It is either some kind of short-term fluctuation that we don't quite understand, or it's a trend and we just happened to come along at the right time to observe an event that only happens once in 10,000 years," Tulaczyk said. "To think that it just happens to be doing this now when we can observe it leaves me feeling a little queasy," he added.

One reason for that queasiness is that no one is quite sure what the long-term implications of these changes may be. Tulaczyk noted that if the ice streams continue to slow and stop, the ice shelf that covers the Ross Sea is likely to break up. The removal of the lid of ice that currently covers the Ross Sea could have significant effects on global ocean circulation and the global climate, he said.
University of California - UC Newsroom | Scientists Detect Thickening of West Antarctic ice Sheet

And then there's this:

Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking

ICE is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.

The results of ice-core drilling and sea ice monitoring indicate there is no large-scale melting of ice over most of Antarctica, although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent's western coast.
Antarctica has 90 per cent of the Earth's ice and 80 per cent of its fresh water. Extensive melting of Antarctic ice sheets would be required to raise sea levels substantially, and ice is melting in parts of west Antarctica. The destabilisation of the Wilkins ice shelf generated international headlines this month.
However, the picture is very different in east Antarctica, which includes the territory claimed by Australia.
East Antarctica is four times the size of west Antarctica and parts of it are cooling. The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research report prepared for last week's meeting of Antarctic Treaty nations in Washington noted the South Pole had shown "significant cooling in recent decades".
Australian Antarctic Division glaciology program head Ian Allison said sea ice losses in west Antarctica over the past 30 years had been more than offset by increases in the Ross Sea region, just one sector of east Antarctica.
"Sea ice conditions have remained stable in Antarctica generally," Dr Allison said.

Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking | The Australian

Nothing unusual is happening. Put away the hip waders.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Calling it insignificant is again being ignorant of ecological responses. Ask the forest industry in BC.

Now you are showing your ignorance of the forests. Are you suggesting that our beetle infestation is the result of global warming? I know lots of ignorant people do but I expected better from you.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I thought this thread was about Glen Beck.

Yet, the Al Gore acolytes hijacked one more thread.

Back to topic: The only people who are afraid of Glen Beck are those who have a reason to be afraid.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This thread should be called Tonington and the climate of fear.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I thought this thread was about Glen Beck.

Yet, the Al Gore acolytes hijacked one more thread.

Back to topic: The only people who are afraid of Glen Beck are those who have a reason to be afraid.

Well, when Glenn Beck says stupid things and stupid people run with what he says, this thread is the sort of dialogue that follows.

If it was your way, it would be filled with sycophantic masturbation of the egos of those who think they somehow have the inside track on how the physical world actually functions.

This thread should be called Tonington and the climate of fear.

If you like that title, feel free to start your own thread and make actual contributions besides cheap post drive by's.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Tonnington, the only people who try to denigrate Glen Beck are the one who have something to be afraid of what he says.

Those are the people who are AFRAID of Glen Beck.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Tonnington, the only people who try to denigrate Glen Beck are the one who have something to be afraid of what he says.

BS. I denigrate Blen Geck because I heard he raped and murdered that girl back in 1990. I don't even know who Glen Beck is, let alone what he talks about, so you need to rethink your position. My motivations are purely jocular.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I denigrate Glenn Beck because:
a) he's a lunatic
b) he's a hypocrite

I used to find it funny. Now I find it pathetic.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
BTW, BC's forests have survived explosions of beetle population before. And yes, the climate is warmer and that helps the population expansion. Natural things like extended freezing conditions, elevated humidity and precipitation, predators, and fire usually keep the population down.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Mormons are mental and emotional ninjas but not as well trained or disciplined as the real ninjas. I have successfully warded off many Mormon ninjas and I have no official training. Real ninjas, on the other hand, would make sushi out of me in seconds.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
November 13, 2009
Anita Dunn: Going, Going, Gone

By Emmett Tyrrell

WASHINGTON -- Well, that did not take long! Just weeks after initiating a war of words with Fox News and being exposed as an admirer of Chairman Mao, Anita Dunn, the White House Communications Director, is stepping down. I intimated as much a couple of weeks back, when I lumped her in with two other Obama Administration zanies who were forced to resign: environmental czar Van Jones and National Endowment for the Arts spokesman Yosi Sergant.
My point was that recent Democratic administrations always welcome to Washington a fleet of eccentrics that are not to be believed. Both the Carter and the Clinton administrations were abundant with such characters, a woman who talked to monuments late at night, a surgeon general who propounded the salubrious benefits of masturbation publicly -- by which I mean speaking of it in public, not actually performing in public. Those are just two of the many bizarre figures that come to mind. Now we have the Obama Administration, and I have prophesied that its zanies will outnumber those from both previous menageries combined.

The question for the moment is which indiscretion weighed most heavily against Dunn's tenure, the war with Fox or the praise of Mao? During her assaults on Fox she denounced the cable-news network as "a wing of the Republican Party," and "opinion journalism masquerading as news." In an extended shriek she said last month, "The reality of it is that Fox News often operates almost as either the research arm or the communications arm of the Republican Party." Is that sulfur I smell?
Actually, I doubt it was her war on Fox that caused the White House Communications Director to bail. After all she is not the only White House operative to assail Fox. There have been others. Chief of staff Rahm Emanuel has claimed that Fox is not a "legitimate news organization." White House senior advisor David Axelrod has said that Fox is "not really a news organization." The President himself has gotten in on the act.
My guess is that Dunn's expressed admiration for Mao is the cause of her departure. For this revelation I suppose we have to thank Fox's Glenn Beck.