Ford: Electric cars will soon overtake Gas

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You should be able to charge a car where there is a 220V electrical service, which is anywhere that has an electric stove or electric clothes drier. Those special charging stations give you a "rapid" charge but you can achieve the same thing plugging in at home and charging overnight.
4hr or longer would only require 110 V and less people would hurt themselves In Canada a lot of businesses have plugs for winter time use so there is no shortage of outlets already in place and the transformer is lighter when going from 110V to 48V and the odds are newer e-motors.
Perhaps the trucks and vans will have something like a 220V motor. One style that shows promise is the permanent magnet design where the magnets are replaced with electric magnets. (more or less an alternator made into an engine when it is fed a bit of power and then it runs off the power it produces) There are a few vids out on this design.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My first car was a Volkswagen beetle....I know what it is to drive with mitts on, with one hand on the wheel and the other with a scraper to keep the windshield clean......after running for a half hour it wasn't too bad...
I loved my Bug (rust in pieces) It was a great summer car. That frosted windshield all winter served best to hide the snow drifted across a road that Herbie's nose would ride up. Its flat floor would hug it and the heavy rear end would settle into it. Trying to back out of it plugged the tailpipes, snuffing out the engine and giving me shoveling to do - if the shovel was in the car

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My first car was a Volkswagen beetle....I know what it is to drive with mitts on, with one hand on the wheel and the other with a scraper to keep the windshield clean......after running for a half hour it wasn't too bad...

Mine too. It had a gas fired heater under the hood but I stopped using it after it backfired a couple of times. A friend's VW went up in flames from his gas heater. I commuted with that "Super Beetle" through the dead of a Montreal winter and I drove everywhere wearing sheepskin and down.

That rear engine drive was a pretty good winter car, though if you had lots of sand over the front axle and snow tires on all four. It drove like a Ski-doo.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not to the NWT, just the Yukon and up the Labrador coast by sea.

Pr1ck No.1 defending Pr1ck No. 2 ...

Pathetic.
No No NO I need no defending from trolls . Calling people pricks proves you have no argument and have thrown in the towel . Have a nice day loser .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
No No NO I need no defending from trolls . Calling people pricks proves you have no argument and have thrown in the towel . Have a nice day loser .

That's the best that you can do and really, all of your posts carry that same sort of meanness.

You really are a sociopathic pr1ck and I suggest that you see a shrink, pronto.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup I remember scrapping the inside window for the whole ride up to Whistler in my buddies old bug . Yikes it was cold that morning .

That's the best that you can do and really, all of your posts carry that same sort of meanness.

You really are a sociopathic pr1ck and I suggest that you see a shrink, pronto.
Thanks doctor curious I'll be right on it . Now continue your trolling loser .

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I loved my Bug (rust in pieces) It was a great summer car. That frosted windshield all winter served best to hide the snow drifted across a road that Herbie's nose would ride up. Its flat floor would hug it and the heavy rear end would settle into it. Trying to back out of it plugged the tailpipes, snuffing out the engine and giving me shoveling to do - if the shovel was in the car
Did you ever try that stunt, that if you got the right distance behind a eighteen wheeler, on level ground you could put the car in neutral and it would pull you along?
It worked, you know?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Did you ever try that stunt, that if you got the right distance behind a eighteen wheeler, on level ground you could put the car in neutral and it would pull you along?
It worked, you know?

That big chunk of steel channel a yard from my face, with only a cheap, flat windscreen in between was a tremendous disincentive to doing that.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Canada's prepared.

Are you?

Ford says electric vehicles will overtake gas in 15 years, announces all-electric 300-mile SUV, hybrid F-150, Mustang, and more

Ford is making a big announcement in electrification today. CEO Mark Field confirmed several new models will receive electric drivetrain options, including its flagship F-150 pickup truck that will double as an on-site generator. In 2015, Ford announced a $4.5 billion investment in electric vehicles in order to introduce 13 new models.

Today, it confirmed 7 of those 13 new models and the list will surprise a few: a new all-electric SUV with “at least” 300 miles of range, a hybrid F-150 and a hybrid Mustang, a Transit Custom plug-in hybrid and 2 new electric police vehicles.

If you were counting, that’s 6 vehicles. The 7th vehicle will be the “high volume” autonomous car that Ford plans to produce by 2021. Ford confirmed today the vehicle will be equipped with a hybrid drivetrain.

https://electrek.co/2017/01/03/ford-new-electric-cars/
For the wealthy, maybe.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Very few electric vehicles out here in rural ON, and I’m sure there are zero electric vehicles werking the fields. Maybe next year.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
That big chunk of steel channel a yard from my face, with only a cheap, flat windscreen in between was a tremendous disincentive to doing that.
Not to mention the fact that there is no magical distance behind a semi that negates the physical laws of the universe.

You can achieve big gains in gas mileage by drafting (any type of vehicle) but you can't put your car in neutral and get pulled along.

That is ridiculous and given the source...

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Not to mention the fact that there is no magical distance behind a semi that negates the physical laws of the universe.

You can achieve big gains in gas mileage by drafting (any type of vehicle) but you can't put your car in neutral and get pulled along.

That is ridiculous and given the source...
:lol: Mr "Science" doesn't understand science. Shocker. From 'How Things Work': Some of the most motivated hypermilers draft behind other vehicles while the engine is switched off. They're basically swept along in the lead vehicle's tailwind. The larger the vehicle in front, the better.

It's only a temporary "boost" since you'll still have to put the car back in gear/re-fire the engine from time to time to keep up your momentum.

It's also extremely stupid as you need to be about 4 ft from the back of whatever you're drafting in order to get the maximum effect.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I'd be interested in a plug-in hybrid, once the prices become a bit more reasonable. That allows you to use cheaper, "greener" electricity most of the time but also to have much better vehicle range than an electric only gives you. Canada is a big place and we cover serious distances pretty routinely in this country and " electric only" only works in cities.
Agreed. Not only do the prices have to come down, (I am looking at the VW I.D 4)if there is a wholesale migration to EV's OPG doesn't have the generating capacity to cope.
The lying scumbag pseudo-environmentalists are also anti nuclear. The result of that equation is obvious.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Agreed. Not only do the prices have to come down, (I am looking at the VW I.D 4)if there is a wholesale migration to EV's OPG doesn't have the generating capacity to cope.
The lying scumbag pseudo-environmentalists are also anti nuclear. The result of that equation is obvious.
I beg your pardon? I'm a lying scumbag pseudo-environmentalist, and I LOVE nuclear fission!

Hell, I can't wait for fusion!

As I pointed out elsewhere, I once demonstrated to an anti-nuker that Chernobyl, the worst nuclear disaster in history, killed fewer people than one year of normal operation of coal-fired power plants.

Let the U.S. Navy do the oversight. 59 years of running fission reactors, perfect safety record.

Turns out when you can only run 1000 feet, you get motivated to make sure the reactor's all copacetic.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I beg your pardon? I'm a lying scumbag pseudo-environmentalist, and I LOVE nuclear fission!
Hell, I can't wait for fusion!
As I pointed out elsewhere, I once demonstrated to an anti-nuker that Chernobyl, the worst nuclear disaster in history, killed fewer people than one year of normal operation of coal-fired power plants.
Let the U.S. Navy do the oversight. 59 years of running fission reactors, perfect safety record.
Turns out when you can only run 1000 feet, you get motivated to make sure the reactor's all copacetic.
So a single accident at a tiny little 4000 MW reactor cost fewer lives than a years worth of accidents at thousands of coal fired plants producing about 2000 GW of power?
That is really something law talking guy.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So a single accident at a tiny little 4000 MW reactor cost fewer lives than a years worth of accidents at thousands of coal fired plants producing about 2000 GW of power?
That is really something law talking guy.
F*ck yer dumb. He said NORMAL OPERATION at coal fired plants. Learn to read, and then learn to comprehend what you've read.
And I see you doubt the claim. I guess you forgot about all the "so many people die every year because of the pollution from coal-fired power plants" reports and studies.

It's really simple, so you should get it. Chernobyl caused an estimated 9,000-16,000 deaths over the years. In China alone some 670,000 deaths EACH AND EVERY year are attributable to coal-fired power plants.

Besides chicken little, thorium power removes a lot of the dangers of nuclear power. It's more efficient, it produces less nuclear waste and said waste has a half-life substantially less than uranium. It's also virtually impossible for a melt-down to occur. You don't need to enrich it so there's really no material for making nuclear weapons. It's plentiful. In fact, the toxic lake at Baotou alone is believed to have enough thorium in it to meet the planet's energy needs for the next 200 years. But nah, let's go with crappy power that relies entirely on the vagaries of weather. What could possibly go wrong?