For lunch today I had.....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
For lunch today I had, uhm, some leafy purple vegetable, I think... And some green peas I think they were, in, uhm, some sauce or other, and don't forget the dried tofu 'skin' as they like to call it. The only thing I know for sure is that I'd asked for a vegan dish, and from what I could tell, I think it was. Lunch as interesting as usual!

And for dinner, well, I had some Chinese Korean (i.e., Chinese of Korean ethnicity, not from Korea) sushi! Pretty much like the Japanese stuff, really. Along with, uhm, what I like to call a Chinese burrito (basically spicy tofu skin with some spices mixed in with other vegetables, in a wrap, which I think is made of wheat!

And for a snack today, I'd also had imitation spicy roast chicken on a stick (made mostly of tofu, thus the "immitation" part.

And for breakfast, I usually eat soy milk and steamed Chinese bread and, uhm, fried Chinese bread, along with extremely salty pickled vegetables, and sometimes 'fulou' (That's a kind of red tofu cube which is fermented and really salty, with a taste which took me forever to acquire. the first time I tried the stuff, I gagged, but now I actually like the extra flavour the stuff provides when mixed with relatively flavourless dishes in moderation). Oh can I tell you much more. One day I had dog on the table! But of course I didn't take anything from that plate. I've never eaten dog yet as far as I can tell. Bear in mind, though, that my Chinese has only started to become decent in the last few months, so who knows what I might have eaten before that. But I did know how to ask for vegetarian a long time ago (though that's a very loose and flexible concept to them, as I'd quickly learnt the first time I'd asked, and the woman just started pulling out all the obvious chunks of meat before mine eyes, and handed it out with a smile). So there's still a reasonable chance that i've never eaten dog meat, though I have eaten unidentified meat at times.

Well, that's enough for today, anyway. Maybe I can share more stories later.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Machjo I wish I read your thread after I had eaten my lunch :lol: My friend has a brother that teaches english in china to, he loves it there.
Speaking of tofu, I am having a tofu dog for lunch, whole wheat bun of course :wink: You know those tofu dogs taste just like wienners but the tofu is not mechanically deboned 8O

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: For lunch today I had.....

Jay said:
Jay said:
Today I had 2 pieces of Pizza Pizza, pizza.

I had the same thing again. Boring.

And again today. I lead a boring life, but atleast the pizza is tasty.

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Re: RE: For lunch today I had.....

Machjo said:
I've never eaten dog yet as far as I can tell. Bear in mind, though, that my Chinese has only started to become decent in the last few months, so who knows what I might have eaten before that.... So there's still a reasonable chance that i've never eaten dog meat, though I have eaten unidentified meat at times.

It is doubtful that you will have eaten dog in Hefei. It is a rarity here. It can be found, but you won't get it unless you ask for it. It is a delicacy, an expensive one for most Hefeiren, or so I've been told by the locals.

Now for lunch I had the usual Chinese meal, a bit of this and a bit of that.

You don't get this in Janada:

gongbao jiding
Bai cai
shao chiezi
hun tun
xihongshi jidan tang
Mantou

For dinner I had Hambowbow.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"You don't get this in Janada:"

Did something important happen while I was at lunch today? :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: For lunch today I had

left over chicken madras...again....it's my favourite...w/ side salad.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

hmmm. My daughters father's side of the family makes something very similar. Only they make them into meat balls and call them porcupines.

I had mcdonalds hamburger x2. Fruit and yoghurt. and potatoe salad. rather boring.......

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I follow my grandmother's method of cooking when there were too many of us there to feed at harvest...mix something with hamburger for supper, then mix it again and serve it for lunch the next day. Give whatever is left to the dogs. If anybody asks what's for supper say, "Duck shit and potato peelings."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Duck shit and potato peelings."

I'm hungry enough to eat it.