Food Waste

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
I doubt anyone who's experienced lengthy hunger in their lives would wish it upon anyone, even *if* they're mouthy. --was your post--I doubt --does that not mean that you feel that I made it up?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I doubt anyone who's experienced lengthy hunger in their lives would wish it upon anyone, even *if* they're mouthy. --was your post--I doubt --does that not mean that you feel that I made it up?

Made what up? You never said you've ever gone hungry a day in your life.

You just wished it upon others.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Quoting Gitaboo: "Years ago when I was in the U.K., I sort of liked how many of the folk I knew went to the market regularly and kept less in their fridges""

Being retired, it's a chance to get out and about, talk to folks, pick up fresh veggies, have a coffee somewhere, go to car lots and harass the salespeople. :laughing6:

Unfortunately, a lot of folks, being like hamsters on a wheel, speed to the food store, run through the aisles, grab the groceries, speed home and eat em, and never taste them, nor reflect on the wonderful corporate farm from whence they came.:angry3:......been there, done it.

But no, we waste very little food. Our rats have moved out, since they were starving. Sucks to be them. Mice are still here. They don't require the same quantity. Bastards.

:read2:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Nugg how's it goin eh...? :)

I can't of course speak for anyone but me. I shop once a month...when my pension cheque comes in. I have to add ten bucks for the cab to get home since I can't carry all that stuff. I don't have the luxury of a widely varied diet because this nations people believe that the elderly and the infirm should be on bended-knee for whatever pittance their given..so cheese is out, fresh vegetables are in (in limited quantities) as are fresh fruit. Meat is limited to hamburger and a majority of my diet is pasta and high carbohydrate foods.

It's not really important or interesting to anyone anyway since I'm just an old fart on his way out so the attitude that it isn't important what an old dude eats...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
All jokes aside, I wish people would pay more attention to what occurring on our planet concerning food.
Try watching "Global Currents" documentary on our food. It is a bit sobering to put it mildly.

Global Currents
Spring 2008 Season Premieres Schedule:
(*Broadcast schedules are subject to change, please check local listings.)
Hijacked Future - Premieres March 22 *Encore presentation*: May 3
While our industrial system of agriculture is providing abundance and variety today, this
Global Currents documentary warns us that it’s an unsustainable system that will not be
able to nourish and provide for us and our grandchildren in the future. It’s a system that
literally runs on oil, from fertilizers and pesticides, to the trucks and planes that transport
food. And the source of our food – seeds – is being hijacked by a handful of corporations
from the farmers who have for millennia, grown and saved them.

Um, btw, it's attitudes like yours, gerryh, that enable these large corporations to manipulate and warp our lifestyles just in order to make profits. I sincerely hope you and people like you wake up one day and grow up.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Um, btw, it's attitudes like yours, gerryh, that enable these large corporations to manipulate and warp our lifestyles just in order to make profits. I sincerely hope you and people like you wake up one day and grow up.
[/left]

:roll: My money..I EARNED it... I wanna buy more than I need and throw out that which I don't use....my business and no one elses..... it's not like I am living off the public tit.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
:roll: My money..I EARNED it... I wanna buy more than I need and throw out that which I don't use....my business and no one elses..... it's not like I am living off the public tit.

See, I think that thinking is indicative of why people go hungry, but it's not because gerry's throwing food away, it's because gerry's got enough money that he's actually willing to throw that away. It's an inequality in wealth distribution that makes it impossible to feed the poor of distant lands, not an inequality of food distribution. If gerry doesn't buy too much and throw it away, sad as it is to say, the grocery store will throw it out anyway. That food, in North America, is going to get tossed in the garbage regardless.

It's changing the mindset from seeing it as just food, to seeing it as money, that's crucial. Because once we see it as money, literally throwing dollars into the trash, then we're more likely to stop our wasteful habits, and save that money for something that will benefit others.

Like gerry says though, it's not something you can really force. While I don't think he's being highly diplomatic about it (ha... love ya gerr), he is showing the frank reality of many people's attitudes about constant nannying.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I can't of course speak for anyone but me. I shop once a month...when my pension cheque comes in. I have to add ten bucks for the cab to get home since I can't carry all that stuff. I don't have the luxury of a widely varied diet because this nations people believe that the elderly and the infirm should be on bended-knee for whatever pittance their given..so cheese is out, fresh vegetables are in (in limited quantities) as are fresh fruit. Meat is limited to hamburger and a majority of my diet is pasta and high carbohydrate foods.

It's not really important or interesting to anyone anyway since I'm just an old fart on his way out so the attitude that it isn't important what an old dude eats...

Mikey, I think it is important and interesting to people to hear and understand situations like yours.

If I had a car, I would drive up in a second and take you for a steak dinner.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

I care. It is important, and I am disgusted with this disproportionate interest in children's charities as opposed to the elder charities. It's the "in" thing to give to children. Not that I hate children or begrude them anything. But 60% of the people in nursing homes have no living relatives whatsoever. Some elderly are eating dog food.

We need to reapportion our relief programs in the US. You cannot get any younger. You cannot recover from a permanent disability. Yet, for most children, at least there is a chance they will be able to improve their lot.

My diet is much like yours - cereal, crackers, cheese, canned soup, eggs, toast, - anything quick, easy and cheap. We do splurge and eat out twice a week, but standing at the stove is just too painful and troublesome. Cooking is OUT.

Uncle

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Duh. Of course if you want to waste your money, it is your business. Personally I don't give a hoot if you stuff your money somewhere uncomfortable. It's your uncaring and thoughtless attitude that I see as the problem. Society is full of people like you who don't think about how your actions affect other people and things around you. And this is one of the rreasons why our societies are in a mess. Simple as that. But perhaps the concept of consequences cannot enter into your "thought" processes.
It makes me wonder if you toss your Big Mac container out the window of your 8 mile-per-gallon Humvee as you drive along, too. lol

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
At least if you are going to waste it, send the equivalent amount to people who don't have food. Or send an appropriate amount of money.
I bet those "humans" like gerry h would howl the loudest if they were like millions of others who don't get enough food if they themselves had to survive on 2 small bowls of rice a week.

hehehe Global just had a little article on food shortages.You all set up to defend your garbage can against 20 or 30 starving people, gerry h? lmao