Epic Anti-Global Warming Monologue

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The easy answer is: by reducing CO2. The increase in water vapour is a function of the CO2 driven temperature increase. Climate sensitivity dictates a 1C increase for a doubling of CO2. The effect of the water feedback is to amplify that to around 3C as a best estimate. The range of projections is between 2.5 and 4.5.
Is it possible for water vapour to become the main driver without CO2?

If CO2 were dropped to specified levels tomorrow, would water vapor follow suit automatically? Yes or no?

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

If CO2 were dropped to specified levels tomorrow, would water vapor follow suit automatically? Yes or no?
Tonington could give you a better answer. It would not be possible for water vapour to change its atmospheric content without change in temperature, though. At least, I do not know the way it could. I do not see even a temporary change if there were some freak of nature that increased wv content since it could not stay in the atmosphere long.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tonington could give you a better answer. It would not be possible for water vapour to change its atmospheric content without change in temperature, though. At least, I do not know the way it could. I do not see even a temporary change if there were some freak of nature that increased wv content since it could not stay in the atmosphere long.
Do some poking around on your own. Try this lead: dig up some graphs (i know you folks like grapshs) on the increase in irrigation and compare it to water vapour increases over the same time period.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Do some poking around on your own. Try this lead: dig up some graphs (i know you folks like grapshs) on the increase in irrigation and compare it to water vapour increases over the same time period.
What on Earth does that have to do with anything. I can easily give you the answer, btw, but, as a non scientist it would be better for one who can explain it thoroughly to do so.

I do not have to do any poking around. I have poked around at this stuff. for more than fifteen years.

For something slightly different and for those who think we have not been warming, try this. A seventeen year record in somewaht different form. 326 months in a row that have been warmer than the twentieth century average. Half the population of the world has never experienced an average month.

326 consecutive months of above average global temperatures | The Energy Collective

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Let me guess, you poked around and didn't like what you saw? Want correlation between agricultural land use and ocean acidification? There are cool graphs for that too.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

The water vapour would drop as the temperature dropped. Automatically, yes. As the temperature dropped to a level that would fit with the CO2 concentration. If the temperature dropped it would rain.

But CO2 will not drop just like that. It can stay in the atmosphere for hundreds of years - depending on a few other things. And that is why this is no light matter. The temperature is going to remain high for a long time no matter what we do. We have to stop it going higher.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The water vapour would drop as the temperature dropped. Automatically, yes. As the temperature dropped to a level that would fit with the CO2 concentration. If the temperature dropped it would rain.

But CO2 will not drop just like that. It can stay in the atmosphere for hundreds of years - depending on a few other things. And that is why this is no light matter. The temperature is going to remain high for a long time no matter what we do. We have to stop it going higher.
How would water vapour drop when man is irrigating ag land at an ever increasing pace? We have 7 billion to feed and irrigation is the key to it all. Then we have the natural water vapour issues to contend with on top of it all.

Water vapour....

Irrigation increases....

What is coming out of these stacks, water or CO2?

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
How would irrigation have anything to do with the water vapour content of the atmosphere. Irrigation, even if the water vapour were not controlled by temperature, is just moving water from one place to another.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When you take a lake and distribute it over a desert to grow crops does the water run back into the lake or does it evapourate?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yeah irrigation. Do some poking around and compare irrigation to water vapour over the same time period. Cabbagefarts is too lazy to look it up or didn't like what it saw.

Irrigation my hairy, pimply ass.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have no idea what Bear's position is on this.
Of course you don't. Ideologues can't see anything after they've been challenged.

He seems to swing between acceptance of the science and a personal desire that the science be ignored because it will affect him monetarily.
Wrong. But that isn't surprising.

What I give you IS logic and science.
No, you parrot science you don't understand and add emotion.

Mostly because there is no spectrum.
There you go, proof you are an ideologue.

As I have said previously, there is not now a single peer reviewed paper that contradicts the fact of AGW. Not one.
LOL, wait for it...

There have been perhaps half a dozen in total in the past four or five years - all published in vanity magazines and completely refuted.
There you go, contradicting yourself again.

But I digress, here's a peer reviewed paper that was printed in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Influence of the Southern Oscillation on tropospheric temperature

http://www.climatedepot.com/a/2117/...rming-and-cooling-can-be-attributed-to-humans

Just because I love proving you wrong.

Do you seriously think that anyone wants this to be so? The world that the children or grandchildren of the participants in this forum will grow into will be a nightmare and it is the responsibility of us, all of us, to change that. Already, for just one example (and I could give you pages of others) there are fifty million climate refugees in this world. Within four or five decades, that figure will be in the hundreds of millions.
Now that's some good fear mongering!!!

"Won't somebody think of the children!!!"

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

No...the atmosphere has physical constraints for how much water it will hold... you've been told this a number of times now. Without CO2, then something else would have to warm the planet (or increase the pressure) to get more water vapour in the atmosphere. More transpiration from plants absent a warming atmosphere just means more rain.

Do you know what a phase diagram is? Look it up.

No...because carbon dioxide is well-mixed, stays in the atmosphere for some time. Therefore the radiative forcing is still there. Therefore the temperature response is still there, and therefore the water vapour can maintain a higher concentration in the atmosphere.

Durp. Go find a phase diagram already.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I just looked that up. What should I be looking for?

Notice where it says vapour or gas? The line curves downward as you move along the x-axis towards the origin. As temperature goes down, so too does the amount of vapour a parcel of air can hold.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Notice where it says vapour or gas? The line curves downward as you move along the x-axis towards the origin. As temperature goes down, so too does the amount of vapour a parcel of air can hold.
Is there a key word I need to add to the Google search?

All I Googled was "phase diagram". The term seems to be used in all manner of sciences. Remember, I don't have your level of post secondary education, lol.

Is this what you're referring to?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

All I Googled was "phase diagram". The term seems to be used in all manner of sciences. Remember, I don't have your level of post secondary education, lol.

Oh, well here's the one wiki gives you for water:

That blue line? That's the phase boundary for water vapour. As the temperature goes up, along the x-axis, the curve bends up. As temperature goes down, the curve bends down. If you add more water vapour without increasing temperature or pressure, enough to put the amount of water vapour above the phase boundary, then the excess will condense into liquid, to bring the total fraction of water as vapour in that parcel of air back to the boundary.

Is this what you're referring to?

Well that is actually a phase diagram for carbon dioxide. :D

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Of course you don't. Ideologues can't see anything after they've been challenged.

Wrong. But that isn't surprising.

No, you parrot science you don't understand and add emotion.

There you go, proof you are an ideologue.

LOL, wait for it...

There you go, contradicting yourself again.

But I digress, here's a peer reviewed paper that was printed in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Influence of the Southern Oscillation on tropospheric temperature

Peer-Reviewed Study Rocks Climate Debate! 'Nature not man responsible for recent global warming...little or none of late 20th century warming and cooling can be attributed to humans' | Climate Depot

Just because I love proving you wrong.

Now that's some good fear mongering!!!

"Won't somebody think of the children!!!"

It would help matters if you would just present your case without the snarkiness. Then I would treat you more seriously and give more attention to your educational needs.

Here is the rebuttal to MacLean, De Freitas and Carter. Quoting those three is not a credible argument. All have been totally discredited for all their work on climate. Notice the gentle reproach that the three stooges use "inappropriate filtering." A euphemism for either gross negligence or outright fraud.

http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frsgc/research/d5/jdannan/comment_on_mclean.pdf