Enough with the poor illegal immigrants

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Why is there so much about these illegal Portuguesse people who were deported.

link

How can I feel bad for people who knowingly break the law? Everyone thinks that since they were able to not get caught for 7 years that they should be able to stay?

I feel bad for the children since they were not in a position to do the right thing and return home when there visitor's visa expired. The children should be angry at their parents. They removed them from the society they knew in Portugal and brought them hear on vacation only to stay and commit an illegal act. Of course they became accoustomed to life here, and now they have to go home, somthing they should have done 6 years and 9 months ago.

How can we call these people honest and decent people when they blatantly broke our immigration laws. They are criminals. You don't have to kill someone, steal or assault to be considered a criminal.

Why bother having an immigration system at all if you think these people should stay. Sure they were nice and good people, but what if they hadn't been. What if they blew up the TTC? Then people would be up in arms asking how they slipped through the cracks and why didn't the government send them back sooner and so on.... The law is the law. You break it, you pay.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There is nothing about this situation that makes any sense.....I thought Portugal was a nice place anyways?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Enough with the poor illegal immigrants

Jay said:
There is nothing about this situation that makes any sense.....I thought Portugal was a nice place anyways?

Nice place or not, you still have to follow the rules.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
True....I just wonder why being an illegal here would be better than a legal in Portugal....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't know what to say to that.....we are known for being compassionate, how far is this supposed to go ITN?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I think not said:
DasFX said:
The law is the law. You break it, you pay.

You're right DasFx, the law is the law. The law however has one major flaw, it is never compassionate.

Compassion my ass! Who's going to be compassionate to the thousands of people who wait years going through the proper channels to immigrate here.

What message would it send to people if we started showing "compassion" by allowing these people to stay. It would say, screw the rules, just come here on a visitors visa and don't get caught for a few years and then you can stay.

You don't come to this country and try it out before you become a resident. What about the illegals who do not follow the line, the ones that make commit crimes against legal citizens, how do you combat this if you are saying that coming here illegally is okay.

A country, especially a country like Canada must maintain is borders and control who and what passes through them.

On what basis should we allow these people to stay? Because they worked (illegally)? Did they pay tax? Perhaps GST and other provincial sales tax, but I find it hard to believe that they paid income tax without a SIN card. They didn't cause any trouble? Well, how many crimes do you have to commit before you are considered a criminal?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
They probably had a SIN as HRDC has been critiqued for not monitoring that system. There are over 500,000 SIN’s unaccounted for in Canada according to the auditor general.

These are not typical illegal immigrants. They are Europeans and can work anywhere in the EC. For some reason they don’t recognize the opportunities they have.

The consultant who bilked them out of the $4500 and had them apply as refugees should be tracked down and prosecuted because these kinds of false claims create paper overloads and lengthier processing times and people who are entitled to asylum have to endure longer waits.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that we should create some sort of commission to look over the shoulder of the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, to ensure that (in terms of immigration and citizenship law, exclusively), compassion and common sense have a degree of sway. Furthermore, those who are requesting refugee status should not be deported from Canada unless the Government of Canada has proven, beyond a doubt, that there would be no danger to the persons being deported, if in fact they were so deported.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
DasFX

That's a nice rant, but you will find it prohibitively expensive rounding up all the illegal immigrants and sending them back where they came from. One incident doesn't mean anything. You would be surprised how much it costs deporting an illegal immigrant. And it is not only costs, there aren't enough human resources to deal with all the illegal immigrants. You think you are sending a message to the rest of the illegal immigrants? Guess again, it's all a show.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I was curious as to the extent of the costs involved for deportation of illegal immigrants, so I did some research. The Center for American Progress issued a study last year. Their numbers are alot worse than I thought. Between apprehension, detenttion, legal processing and finally deportation, it costs approximately $215,000 per illegal immigrant. 8O

These are the numbers for the US, I can't imagine it is much less in Canada. And another thing, to deport all of them en masse, would cost $240 Billion over 5 years, not including the illegal immigrants getting in annually.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I wonder what it costs to prosecute petty theft in Canada.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
hey Canada should be thankful it doesnt share a border with a third world country where millions cross illegally each year and bringing down the quality of life. There are something like 12 million illegals living in the US. This little Portuguesse problem is just peanuts....but I agree with DasFX. If we need more people to work in the trades we should just up immigration numbers not turn a blind eye like the US did which is biting them in the ass now.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If we need more trades workers they should stop handing out BAs and level the playing field for collages.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I think not said:
I was curious as to the extent of the costs involved for deportation of illegal immigrants, so I did some research. The Center for American Progress issued a study last year. Their numbers are alot worse than I thought. Between apprehension, detenttion, legal processing and finally deportation, it costs approximately $215,000 per illegal immigrant. 8O

These are the numbers for the US, I can't imagine it is much less in Canada. And another thing, to deport all of them en masse, would cost $240 Billion over 5 years, not including the illegal immigrants getting in annually.

That's why, IMHO, our country wants to make it a felony to be an illegal immigrant. The fear of being caught, put in jail, etc. would supposedly cause the illegals to run back to Mexico pronto. I have thought and thought - and you know, it is not a such bad idea. I can't think of a better one - considering the cost of deportation.

The front page story in our paper today was how Canada is paying immigrants (Mexican) to come to Quebec, even covering their airfare. They pick cucumbers. Then, they can go home during the winter to see their families, but the stats say 80% never return to Mexico. Hello. The interesting part was that the Mexicans working in Canada said they felt "wanted" in Canada, whereas in the US they were frightened because they were unwanted. Well, no kidding. We have too many as it is. You are welcome to them.

Uncle

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think not said:

ITN did you ever notice how many organizations in your country use the word American in thier titles and how many times the word is slipped into newscasts and added to almost every sentence and plastered over all your products like milk and cheeze and garbage bags and stuff, it's really wierd.