End the Lockdown

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Many of those arguing for economies to be reopened, putting lives in danger claim that they care about low paid workers. Oddly enough, they were often the same people who argued against increasing minimum wage.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Who is going to have the denial chops to deal with covid?

The climate change deniers perhaps?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Many of those arguing for economies to be reopened, putting lives in danger claim that they care about low paid workers. Oddly enough, they were often the same people who argued against increasing minimum wage.
I'm actually pretty good with the Federal government being pussies on the minimum wage. As we've seen, cities, counties, and states are stepping up. They have a better idea what actual cost of living is, and he, if the red states want to reduce their voters to serfs, who are we to tell them not to? Bus tickets are cheap.

So are rifles.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Who is going to have the denial chops to deal with covid?
The climate change deniers perhaps?

You means sceptics on causation.

No one here denies the climate is changing, does change and has changed.

Big difference.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

You think that is the reason? It goes much further than that.

Nobody argues against increasing minimum wage, they argue exorbitant increases in the minimum wage.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nobody argues against increasing minimum wage, they argue exorbitant increases in the minimum wage.
It's a means to crank up inflation. If it werent for the perpetual raises, inflation would flatline. It also widens the gap between haves and have nots around the world.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

Nobody?

I hear it all the time on right wing radio and on here.

Ask Walt how he feels about it.

For me, I'm on the gradual increase side. It gives businesses the time to adapt.

Although, here in Ontario they increased it quickly and it didn't have any of the negative effects the naysayers were screaming about.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's a means to crank up inflation. If it werent for the perpetual raises, inflation would flatline. It also widens the gap between haves and have nots around the world.
Easily tested. The last increase in the Federal minimum wage was in 2009. Has inflation "flatlined" since then?

Why no, no, it has not.

But don't let that bother you none, cuz you BELIEEEEEEVE that wages are the only factor in inflation.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Easily tested. The last increase in the Federal minimum wage was in 2009. Has inflation "flatlined" since then?
Why no, no, it has not.
But don't let that bother you none, cuz you BELIEEEEEEVE that wages are the only factor in inflation.

It's relatively flat in Ontario.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
I'm actually pretty good with the Federal government being pussies on the minimum wage. As we've seen, cities, counties, and states are stepping up. They have a better idea what actual cost of living is, and he, if the red states want to reduce their voters to serfs, who are we to tell them not to? Bus tickets are cheap.
So are rifles.

Things are almost always done better at the state/provincial level and even lower in municipalities.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why no, no, it has not.
I never mentioned minimum wage. I mentioned wage raises.

Do you need new glasses?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Yes ... nobody. Increases in the minimum wage are not new.

I hear it all the time on right wing radio and on here.

You are most likely hearing the opinions of people who believe that the kid giving you popcorn at the movie theater shouldn't be making $40,000.00 a year, for example.

Ask Walt how he feels about it.

nah

For me, I'm on the gradual increase side. It gives businesses the time to adapt.

Me too! But do you think people in the movie theater snack bars should be making a living wage?

What is the hourly minimum in Ontario?

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Yes ... nobody. Increases in the minimum wage are not new.
You are most likely hearing the opinions of people who believe that the kid giving you popcorn at the movie theater shouldn't be making $40,000.00 a year, for example.
nah
Me too! But do you think people in the movie theater snack bars should be making a living wage?
What is the hourly minimum in Ontario?

$14 in Ontario 13.40 for students.

Wages are tricky, 14 in Toronto wouldn't get you a cardboard box to live in but rural north you could find something decent although costs for goods especially basic food items are insane.

As far as the popcorn guy, it's almost always a student....but yeah, I'd be in favour of a living wage for those folks.