Dumbfucks In Belgium To Shut Nuclear Reactor On Friday Amid Energy Crunch

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

By Julianne Geiger - Sep 23, 2022, 5:30 PM CDT

Belgium announced on Friday that its Doel 3 nuclear reactor will disconnect from the grid and cease operations, even as the country fears blackouts this winter. It is one of four reactors at the Doel plant near the port of Antwerp, and is the first nuclear reactor to shut down in Belgium’s plan to exit nuclear power completely.

The move moves even as thousands of Belgians took to the streets on Wednesday to protest soaring electricity prices and high costs of living. In a recent Belgian media poll, 64% of Belgians are concerned that they might not be able to pay their energy bills.

It also comes as Belgium stainless steel maker Aperam was forced to stop production as the high energy prices became untenable.

The decision to shut the reactors was made years ago, well before Europe’s energy crisis took hold. In 2011, it was decided to shut Belgian’s oldest reactors by 2015, and the rest by 2025. At that time, nuclear energy accounted for over half of the nation’s power consumption. In addition, under Belgium law, nuclear reactors have to stop producing electricity 40 years after installation, although some reactors in the country have been afforded extensions. While the Federal Interior Minister called for an extension for Doel 3, it was not granted.

The plan for Belgium’s nuclear power exit, hatched in 2011, was supposed to be contingent on finding enough energy from alternative sources to prevent power shortages.

The shutdowns are set to continue after Doel 3. In February, Belgium is planning to shutter Tihange 2—a nuclear reactor that has the unfortunate distinction of being located near the German border where nuclear power is decidedly out of favor, and as such, has found itself the target of activists.

For Belgium, the energy situation is dire. Earlier this week, Bart De Wever, Antwerp mayor and leader of the nationalist New Flemish Alliance party, said that Europe’s crisis could not be pinned on Putin. Instead, the crisis is one “that Europe has brought on itself by phasing out its own primary energy production this century.”

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From the OP: In a recent Belgian media poll, 64% of Belgians are concerned that they might not be able to pay their energy bills. It also comes as Belgium stainless steel maker Aperam was forced to stop production as the high energy prices became untenable.

Bet the Average Joe in Belgium doesn’t feel all warm and fuzzy about the woke bullshit when 2/3rds of the population is already worried about staying ahead of their utility bills….especially the ones that use to work at Aperam.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
This is actually a good thing. It will show the world how stupid the extreme left really is.
I think you may be overlooking the fact that most people can't comprehend the basic concept of cause and effect. They will no doubt run short on energy, but it won't possibly be from disastrous decisions made regarding energy policy.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think you may be overlooking the fact that most people can't comprehend the basic concept of cause and effect. They will no doubt run short on energy, but it won't possibly be from disastrous decisions made regarding energy policy.
Well, on a positive note, Belgium has a temperate maritime climatecharacterized by moderate temperatures, prevailing southerly to westerly winds, abundant cloud cover and frequent precipitation. Summers are relatively cool and humid and winters relatively mild and rainy.

Could be worse. Could be this: Regina experiences a warm summer humid continental climate (Köppen: Dfb), with more than 70% of average annual precipitation in the warmest six months, and is in the NRC Plant Hardiness Zone 3b. Regina has warm summers and cold, dry winters, prone to extremes at all times of the year.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, on a positive note, Belgium has a temperate maritime climatecharacterized by moderate temperatures, prevailing southerly to westerly winds, abundant cloud cover and frequent precipitation. Summers are relatively cool and humid and winters relatively mild and rainy.

Could be worse. Could be this: Regina experiences a warm summer humid continental climate (Köppen: Dfb), with more than 70% of average annual precipitation in the warmest six months, and is in the NRC Plant Hardiness Zone 3b. Regina has warm summers and cold, dry winters, prone to extremes at all times of the year.
Id rather do -10C in dry sunshine than 5C in the rain. They feel the same but its just nicer to be dry and in the sun.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
IF we don't stop listening to the 'activists' we're going to wind up extinct. They don't want 'carbon' power. They don't want clean nuclear power which nowadays is safe and reliable. They don't want lithium batteries now i hear because lithium needs to be mined. So basically if we can't get by on solar and wind (which we can't without some way to store it) then they just want us to die.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
IF we don't stop listening to the 'activists' we're going to wind up extinct. They don't want 'carbon' power. They don't want clean nuclear power which nowadays is safe and reliable. They don't want lithium batteries now i hear because lithium needs to be mined. So basically if we can't get by on solar and wind (which we can't without some way to store it) then they just want us to die.
Well, then….I guess they can drive electric cars….& charge them (but not with lithium batteries I guess) only during the day when the sun shines & the wind blows more due to convection heating…& only at work…so negotiate that Benefit… and only with fast chargers so that they got full charges before they go home…& then run their homes off their electric cars & what power they stored in their non-lithium batteries at power plants (?) or at home (?) from the daytime if it’s not cloudy or if the wind wasn’t blowing, etc…? That sounds sustainable hopefully?

Now, where will their employers get their energy from to charge everybody’s electric cars during the day when they’re at work? Who cares….’cuz the individual persons carbon footprint would be reduced?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
ell, then….I guess they can drive electric cars….& charge them (but not with lithium batteries I guess)
I'm assuming they're thinking particularly motivated and athletic hamsters.

Now, where will their employers get their energy from to charge everybody’s electric cars during the day when they’re at work?
I'm pretty sure most of those eco-types are against employers as well.

I think anyone who "protests" about something without providing a viable solution should be recycled as bio fuel. THat should tide us over for a few years anyway.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Tesla Gigafactory Catches Fire In Germany​

By ZeroHedge - Sep 26, 2022, 9:30 AM CDT
A major fire appears to have broken out at Tesla's Berlin recycling plant, prompting a local group of environmentalists who have been fighting the company to call for Tesla to stop production.
Overnight electrek reported that Tesla's on-site fire brigade called in help from the local fire department for an incident that took place at Gigafactory Berlin in the municipality of Grünheide.

Local news reported that a "a large pile of cardboard and wood caught on fire at the recycling facility located at the factory". The report said that 800 cubic meters of paper, cardboard and wood caught fire.

The blaze took 50 firefighters "hours" to get under control. 12 firefighters from Tesla's own brigade assisted with the fire. No injuries were reported and the fire did not spread to elsewhere on the facility.

But one blaze set off another: environmentalists, who have been fighting Tesla every step of the way on the German plant, are now calling for a stop in production. A group called the citizens’ initiative Grünheide (BI) is calling for an "immediate stop" to production, electrek writes.

A representative from the group commented: "Our worst fears have come true. We demand a production stop until the causes and circumstances have been clarified and all safety-related measures in the water protection area have been implemented."

Tesla has not issued an official comment as of yet.

By Zerohedge.com

WTF are "environmentalists" upset by this time?

• Wow

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
In reality they probably set the fire.
Wouldn't shock me - i mean it was a "large pile of cardboard and wood". You don't exactly have to be a nuclear engineer to get that burning :)

What i would like to know is how does a bit of cardboard and wood burning represent the environmentalists "Worst fears!"? Seriously, just makes you want to go to the guy's place with a pile of tires and some styrofoam and show him what REAL terror is :)