Do you think Ignatieff can lead the Liberals to power?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Liberal MP Michael Ignatieff is expected to be unanimously endorsed as the party's interim leader Wednesday at the party's caucus meeting, at which the fate of the coalition with the NDP will be the top issue.

Ignatieff replaces leader Stéphane Dion, who this week said he would move up his departure date, originally scheduled for May, when the party was to pick his replacement at a leadership convention.

But Liberal MP Bob Rae's decision on Tuesday to bow out of the race left Ignatieff uncontested for the party leadership.

Full story

Do you think Ignatieff can lead the Liberals to power?

More...
Doubtful

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
An olive branch! You've got to be kidding. He's extending an ultimatum like he was already the man in charge of the county. He's more arrogant then Harper. To mit - no - I don't think he will stay in the country. He's here for himself for the time being. I don't believe he would have hung around for long had he not been made leader of the liberal party.:roll:

As of this moment Micheal Ignatieff is the leader of the opposition, and as such he is not a man that a minority government can ignore. Particularly when the leader of the opposition can bring down the government. He has at least asked to see the budget first. I would say that it is Harper's career that hangs in the balance here, not Ignatieff's.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
An olive branch! You've got to be kidding. He's extending an ultimatum like he was already the man in charge of the county. He's more arrogant then Harper. To mit - no - I don't think he will stay in the country. He's here for himself for the time being. I don't believe he would have hung around for long had he not been made leader of the liberal party.:roll:

Oddly enough, I heard Peter Mansbridge use the term 'olive branch' last night to describe Harper's attempt to get the Liberals back to the table. That's a lot of olives and branches. Pretty soon we'll have enough for a burning bush of economic miracles emanating from Ottawa.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
As of this moment Micheal Ignatieff is the leader of the opposition, and as such he is not a man that a minority government can ignore. Particularly when the leader of the opposition can bring down the government. He has at least asked to see the budget first. I would say that it is Harper's career that hangs in the balance here, not Ignatieff's.
I never suggested he was a man to ignore. I just think he has not extended any olive branch in the least. He has come out fighting in a manner of speaking and it makes him appear very conceited. I guess if people think that's good - well - they think it is good. It doesn't prove Harper will lose and I still don't think he will. Just my opinion.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Technicall the leading opposition CAN'T bring down the government, as they too are a minority.

The conservatives only need one other party to co-govern with them really. Perhaps they will get the Liberals on board with a few cabinet posts.

Perhaps they will go back to allying with the Bloc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Technicall the leading opposition CAN'T bring down the government, as they too are a minority.

The conservatives only need one other party to co-govern with them really. Perhaps they will get the Liberals on board with a few cabinet posts.

Perhaps they will go back to allying with the Bloc.

Ignatieff still has the help of that coalition and he could bring down the government.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Ignatieff still has the help of that coalition and he could bring down the government.

Unless he really does snub them to try and form a coalition with the Tories. Kinda like how if you leave your date to pick up this hotter girl in the bar, then try and return after being shot down..you will probably end up alone :p

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Unless he really does snub them to try and form a coalition with the Tories. Kinda like how if you leave your date to pick up this hotter girl in the bar, then try and return after being shot down..you will probably end up alone :p

As far as I know, the coalition is still alive. Ignatieff has asked to see the budget prior to the vote, presumably, so as to make an educated decision on the action to be taken.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Where in Sam Hill do you come up with Iggy jumping in with Harpo? Everyone has made it clear they want of Harper: Don't go away mad ... just go away.

(that is ... all except for the very gullible)