Do You Think Canada Chokes Alot

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
99 percent of the athletes are playing for their countries. Why do you think just about every winner grabs his/her countries flag and runs around the stadium or track with it? Why is there a sea of flags in the crowds from the countries currently competing? Without the patriotism would there even be an Olympics?

Without the patriotism/nationalism involved, I think there would still be an Olympics for the very reason most sports exist: people participate for recreation but most people eventually want to know who the best of the best is. The original Olympics weren't about nationalism but about paying tribute to the gods and determining who was the greatest athlete in each discipline. Our professional leagues don't care where the athletes are from (for the most part), just who is the best team or competitor.

Now in terms of what the athletes owe, being as they live on the taxpayer's dime for the most part, yes they do us their best effort. Do we get it? I think we do: as others have said we all have our good days and bad days.

To the original question about Canada choking a lot, I don't know. It feels like we do at times (ie Jeremy Wotherspoon, Perdita Felicien, Men's Hockey Team in Nagano and Turin and others) but that could also be from over estimating our athletes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
what does patriotism have to do with the expectation that they "owe" us anything?

as for your first statement...... I try not to bomb the crap out of people or cheer those that do....... guess we both are stuck with living with things we don't like.

Hey Gerry- I bet you would agree with me that it is much nicer just to say "I'm inclined to disagree with your opinion" than it is to say "Up yours". :smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hey Gerry- I bet you would agree with me that it is much nicer just to say "I'm inclined to disagree with your opinion" than it is to say "Up yours". :smile:

I guess we have different reactions to being called a troll.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, JLM, from the interviews I have seen they do make a point of thanking us. Time after time, I have listened to our medal winners thank Canada for the support given them, mentioning the Own the Podium program especially. When they don't win, I have heard those who are interviewed say they are sorry they let Canada down.

I have no doubt of a single thing you say.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I have no way of knowing that, it certainly hasn't been brought to my attention.

Then why make this statement?

Sorry Mowich and Gerry but I don't think it would be putting them out too, much just to show some gratitude, unless of course they've been completely self sufficient through the entire procedure.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What has really surprised me is how many Canadian athletes / coaches are representing other countries..

Korea - Ice Skating Coach Brian Orser ( corrected )
Denmark - Curling Coach Renee Sonnenberg Alberta
Moguls - Dale Begg-Smith

Too name but a few..

Why is it surprising that Canadian athletes who have attained some success are hired by other countries as coaches. There are not that many jobs in Canada. Almost every coach in the NHL has been a successful player at some time. I would bet that just about all the top level baseball coaches and football coaches in this country are Americans

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Why is it surprising that Canadian athletes who have attained some success are hired by other countries as coaches. There are not that many jobs in Canada. Almost every coach in the NHL has been a successful player at some time. I would bet that just about all the top level baseball coaches and football coaches in this country are Americans

Just seeing the calibre of athletes these Canadian coaches are with and not staying in Canada truly says much about our programs not willing to dish out the cash to keep them local..

I understand many Football coaches are American but show me the cream of the crop being in Canada and not the NFL ?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just seeing the calibre of athletes these Canadian coaches are with and not staying in Canada truly says much about our programs not willing to dish out the cash to keep them local..

That has always been the problem. We are not willing to spend the money. This year our win/loss ratio should be better because that "Own the podium" thing did pump some money into our system. Next year our athletes will be orphans again. It's a lose lose situation. If we fully support our athletes, we get people crying and picketing because the homeless are starving. If we don't fund athletic programs people bitch about how lousy our athletes are and the homeless are still starving. Is there a solution? Who knows..

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The Canadians very politely annihilated them in the first. I hope they keep being so polite.