Dessert Recipes

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I should have learned by now. The bar goes in after the first 3 come to a boil. Next time I will type things like this in word first.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Spicy Pumkin Pie

Ingredients

1 9 inch pastry crust
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoom mace
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3 eggs
2 cups pumpkin*
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon flour

Mix sugar and spices. Beat in eggs. Add pumpkin*, cream and milk, mixing well after each addition.
Pour into crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 and bake for another 35 minutes or until
silver knife incerted in center comes out clean.

* This "pumpkin pie" can be made with two cups of pumpkin, or two cups of peeled, well cooked carrots, or two cups of peeled well cooked yam or sweet potatoe, or
2 cups of almost any kind of squash and you will have a hard time telling the difference. You don't need pumpkin!
This is my favourite pumpkin pie recipe and I've used all of the veggies I mentioned.
None of my guests have ever noticed

I personally prefer a good sized dollup of whipped cream on top of the still warm pie..................Enjoy....:lol:

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Try this speedy Fudge (8X8 pan)

1/2 cup butter 1 400 gm. Toberlone milk choc.
1/2 cup sugar (white) bar
3/4 cup (half can) canned evaporated milk
Put first 3 ingredients in a saucepan and cook over med high heat till well blended - stirring constantly.
As soon as it comes to a gentle boil, add in the chocolate bar and continue cooking and stiring for 5 min. Pour into dish and cool. It's fantastic.
What is a sugar bar (white or any other color)? Is it like a sugar cube? 8O

hehehe Just kidding. Misplaced words are funny sometimes.

Seriously, it sounds yummy.

Last edited by a moderator:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well my favourite dessert is tapioca, I have forgotten how to make it and hope that some different recipes will be posted.

I love tapioca too, since I was a kid. There are two recipes on the box, one for
tapioca pudding and the other for tapioca cream, both real good, and a nice
blob of jam in the middle just before serving tops it off.
I'm sure there are many other recipes, but I like that one, nice and simple and
a pure tapioca flavour.
(Tastes best right out of the pot, while still warm) ;-)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
While I generally am a good cook, my desserts don't always come out so good.

Tonight, I decided to make a cream pie as follows:

2 eggs

3 tabs of butter

1/2 cup of evaporated milk

1 or 2 tbsp of corn grits

3 spoons of sugar (most recipes call for a full cup)

1 tsp of corn starch

.............................................................................................

give it a real good mix --- pour into baking pan - top with cinnamon

bake at about 325° to 350° until lightly brown

let cool and serve

Normally, I would have poured it on Graham cracker meal but didn't have any available tonight.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Spicy Pumkin Pie

Ingredients

1 9 inch pastry crust
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoom mace
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3 eggs
2 cups pumpkin*
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon flour

Mix sugar and spices. Beat in eggs. Add pumpkin*, cream and milk, mixing well after each addition.
Pour into crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 and bake for another 35 minutes or until
silver knife incerted in center comes out clean.

* This "pumpkin pie" can be made with two cups of pumpkin, or two cups of peeled, well cooked carrots, or two cups of peeled well cooked yam or sweet potatoe, or
2 cups of almost any kind of squash and you will have a hard time telling the difference. You don't need pumpkin! This is my favourite pumpkin pie recipe and I've used all of the veggies I mentioned.
None of my guests have ever noticed

I personally prefer a good sized dollup of whipped cream on top of the still warm pie..................Enjoy....:lol:

I have always wanted to try this and I'm going to keep your recipe (thank you) but it is something that I want to try first hand in Canada. My daughter tells me it is yummy as! After I've sampled the real thing and when I'm home again, I'll make pumpkin pie

Seeing some of your wonderful recipes is awesome and we are certainly going to try a few in this Kiwi kitchen. Awesome!

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand

Put first 3 ingredients in a saucepan and cook over med high heat till well blended - stirring constantly.
As soon as it comes to a gentle boil, add in the chocolate bar and continue cooking and stiring for 5 min. Pour into dish and cool. It's fantastic.

OMG! This has to be the best!

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand

OMG! This has to be the best! Toblerone is my most fave chocolate in the whole wide world

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Lemon meringue pie:

• 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 lemons, juiced and zested
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 tablespoons white sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
  3. To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm going to make that lemon meringue pie this week end, my son in law is coming
for dinner, and it is his favourite, (not that I don't like it.):-?

Made Tapioca Pudding again tonight. I just put cooked, cooled tapioca in large
dessert bowls, with stems, they look so nice when all filled up.
Top the tapioca with any kind of yogurt you like, I happen to like Prune, and many
others, there is a new one out now called Apple/Blackberry, haven't tried it yet, but will soon. (Activia brand, not fat-free) very creamy and thick.
Then I put fresh (frozen, but thawed) raspberries on top, and drizzle with maple syrup.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie

1 cooked 23cm pastry case or crumb crust
1 tin condensed milk
half cup lemon juice (use the dark yellow real lemons)
1 tbsp grated lemon rind (finely grated)
2 eggs, separated
4 tbsp castor sugar (fine grain)

Prepare pie crust. Mix condensed milk, lemon juice,rind and egg yolks. Pour into pie shell and leave to set in fridge for a couple of hours. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add sugar gradually beating until glossy. Pile on top of filling. Bake at 180 oC for 10 - 15 mins or until golden brown.
Put back into fridge to cool and reset. When set turn out onto serving platter and cover/decorate with sweetened whipped cream and sprinkle grated chocolate over the top. Serves 6-8.

This is a most delicious Lemon Meringue pie! One piece is never enough

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Saw this one on the TV Show "Chef At Home" and it's always a hit with guests. Plus you can make it ahead and fire it in the oven during your meal - bonus!

---------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&quot]Chef At Home's Perfect Pineapple[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and wedged[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ cup dark rum (I like using Jamaican rum because of its sugary highlights)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ tsp. cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ tsp. nutmeg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ tsp. vanilla extract[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, whisk together rum, sugar, spices and vanilla until smooth. Add pineapple and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to a glass dish and cook, uncovered, for 30 mins. or until pineapple is cooked through and a sauce is formed. Cool slightly and serve.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Serve this on its own, or on top of a good quality vanilla ice cream. For an interesting twist, coat vanilla ice cream in shredded and toasted coconut and place it on top of a dish full of the pineapple; serve in a cocktail glass.[/FONT]

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
These are also super good, if you don't mind the slight coronary from eating a palm-sized dessert that weighs in at almost 400 calories apiece...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tres Leches Coconut Macaroons

1.2 kg sweetened coconut flakes
2-14oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
¼ cup sour cream
2 tbsp. heavy cream
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients except coconut flakes until smooth. In a large bowl, combine coconut with milk mixture until well incorporated. Using an ice cream scoop, tightly pack balls of coconut mixture and place on baking sheet. Cook for 12-15 mins., or until bottoms are golden brown and balls hold their shape. Cool well on a wire rack before transferring to a container.

For extra presentation, drizzle the macaroons with melted dark chocolate...

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
Some of these recipes sound really delicious - but I think I need to invest in a Canadian dictionary before trying them out. Still, never too late to improve my education along with my cooking skills !

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
One dessert that is quite common in Britain but one rarely sees in North America is the Trifle. We do make the Trifle from time to time, it is easy to make. Galadriel, you live in Britain. Rather than me posting the recipe, perhaps you could post an authentic British Trifle recipe (I think cooking sherry comes into it).

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
Sure - except it is known as traditional ENGLISH (not British) Trifle - they are very possessive about it !!

Ingredients:=

1 x box of Trifle Sponges - do you have those there? If not, slices of Swiss Role or any other variety of plain sponge cake can be used.
Strawberries, Raspberries, or blackberries ( can be tinned or fresh)
Jelly ( I think you may call this Jello ?) - flavoured to match the fruit.
Custard (either home made or ready made)
Fresh Whipped Cream
Sherry (about one eggcup full or two tablespoonfuls - enough to flavour but not intoxicate!)

Method.

Put five or six trifle sponges (or cake slices) into the bottom of a large serving dish, and sprinkle them with the sherry.

Cover the sponges with your choice of fruit - keeping some back for decorating at the end.

Melt the jelly with hot water, stir well and allow to cool. When it begins to thicken pour it over the fruit and sponges. Leave to set. Don't be tempted to pour it in while it is still hot, as that would make the sponges float and spoil the effect.

Make your custard and leave to cool. When the jelly is fully set, then pour the custard over it and leave that to set also.

You are building layers, so it is important to make sure that each layer is set before adding the next.

Finally cover the whole thing with whipped cream, and decorate with the remaining fruit.

Eat and enjoy!

I deliberately have not specified 'quantities' for the ingredients as Trifle is not an exact science - that is the joy of it. A lot depends on the size of the serving bowl or how many people you are feeding. It was originally invented as a way of using up left overs and has just evolved !

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Galadriel, we don’t have trifle sponges here. But a sponge cake (no more than 2 cm thick) or a jelly roll will do (you have to unfurl the jelly roll, of course).

We normally use tinned fruit cocktail. The advantage is that the liquid can be used to make Jell-O, and it gives added flavor to Jell-O

Also, cooking sherry is not that easy to get here. Any cooking wine or drinking sherry (Amontillado, Xeres etc.) will do. If you have young kids of course, you want to skip sherry altogether.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To make a desert add granite, sandstone, basalt and schist, occasionally moistening, bake and freeze for eons while perpetually pummeling with aeolian debris.

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
I am guessing that a 'jelly roll' is the same thing as a 'swiss roll', in which case - no, I would not unfurl it - just cut into slices. The traditional fruit is Strawberries - but any fruit will work, I have used kumquats, mango, and mandarins - you just need to adjust the flavour of the Jell-O to compliment your choice. I would always use a good quality sherry (not cooking) or Madeira. One Christmas I even used a little Brandy. As I said before - it is not an exact science. You can use what ever is on hand in the store cupboard to make a trifle. They are fun, colourful, and taste really good !