Strawberry short cake

ingredients

• 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar or superfine sugar
  • 2/3 cup self-rising flour
  • 2 cups cleaned strawberries
  • 250 grams whipping cream

directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a medium bundt pan
  2. In a medium bowl, whip together the eggs and confectioner's sugar until fluffy. Fold in flour. Pour into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan over a wire rack.
  4. Prepare berries by crushing about a third of them(to make lots of juice) and quartering the rest. Stir in 2 tablespoons of ordinary sugar
  5. Slice cake in three quarter inch slices. Lay one slice on dessert plate. Spoon on strawberries and add a good glop of whipped cream.
  6. Enjoy

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well my favourite dessert is tapioca, I have forgotten how to make it and hope that some different recipes will be posted.

I love tapioca too, and when I make it I just make the 'tapioca cream' recipe on the
back of the tapioca box, it's delicioso. With a little dollop of strawberry jam on top.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I like tapioca but I've only ever used the standard recipe from the package. My wife does a different one. I'll try to get the recipe.

My Dad used to call it "fish eyes and glue"....:smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I hosted a somewhat impromptu dinner party last night, and was not 100% prepared. I made some appetizers, but, halfway through dinner realized that I'd neglected to plan anything for dessert.

When the idea hit me, my company were quite thrilled with the idea of trying broiled grapefruit. What a hit on a cold winter day, after a heavy meal of lasagna. Halved, topped with dark brown sugar, and broiled until bubbling, the slightly syrupy treat was very palette cleansing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I hosted a somewhat impromptu dinner party last night, and was not 100% prepared. I made some appetizers, but, halfway through dinner realized that I'd neglected to plan anything for dessert.

When the idea hit me, my company were quite thrilled with the idea of trying broiled grapefruit. What a hit on a cold winter day, after a heavy meal of lasagna. Halved, topped with dark brown sugar, and broiled until bubbling, the slightly syrupy treat was very palette cleansing.

One of the restaurants on Gabriola Island served something like this a few years back when we lived on that island. I liked it. If I remember right, they sprinkled the grapefruit halves with brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter before the broiling. I always meant to try it at home but I never have.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One of the restaurants on Gabriola Island served something like this a few years back when we lived on that island. I liked it. If I remember right, they sprinkled the grapefruit halves with brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter before the broiling. I always meant to try it at home but I never have.

I skipped the butter simply because I've been trying to cut down on the added calories, and the sugar is plenty in and of itself IMO. And wanting a bit of a palette cleanser, I didn't really feel the need for the spices either, but, a touch of cinnamon and cloves would be lovely.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I skipped the butter simply because I've been trying to cut down on the added calories, and the sugar is plenty in and of itself IMO. And wanting a bit of a palette cleanser, I didn't really feel the need for the spices either, but, a touch of cinnamon and cloves would be lovely.
There is probably nothing better for a clean, fresh, palette cleanser as you say, but my baser side tries to emerge throw on a glop of whipped cream.....;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I like tapioca but I've only ever used the standard recipe from the package. My wife does a different one. I'll try to get the recipe.

My Dad used to call it "fish eyes and glue"....:smile:
Go with the tapioca cream like someone else said. It's the best.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
PINEAPPLE DELIGHT
1 1/2 cups icing sugar any recipe graham wafer crust
2 eggs whipping cream (whipped)250 ml
1/2 c. butter
1 tin crushed (and drained) pineapple

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Spread over cooked graham wafer crust. Next, add layer of whipped cream, then a layer of pineapple. Save a little of the crumbs from the base and sprinkle them on top of the pineapple (looks nicer).
9 X 10 pan

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I guess I should have typed that in word first.
Ingredients = 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 250 ml whipping cream
1 tin crushed pineappple
1 graham wafer crust

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
PINEAPPLE DELIGHT
1 1/2 cups icing sugar any recipe graham wafer crust
2 eggs whipping cream (whipped)250 ml
1/2 c. butter
1 tin crushed (and drained) pineapple

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Spread over cooked graham wafer crust. Next, add layer of whipped cream, then a layer of pineapple. Save a little of the crumbs from the base and sprinkle them on top of the pineapple (looks nicer).
9 X 10 pan

Sounds interesting. Just one thing. Do you cook the eggs, butter, and sugar layer?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Dragon Boils

Soak 1/4 cup (60 mL) of large pearl tapioca for 8 hours. Drain. In a saucepan bring 1 cup (250 mL) of milk and 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar to a boil. Add the tapioca, cook and stir frequently until tapioca is translucent (at least 1/2 hour). Combine 1 beaten egg, 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar and vanilla to taste. Add to tapioca and bring this mixture to a boil. Cool.

Prepare 1 packet of lime jello according to directions on the package. Cool. When the jello is almost set, fold in the tapioca.

Everyone will love it!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
banana and chocolate bread pudding.

I don't exactly have a recipe but what I do is look up a recipe for bread pudding which uses croissant, and then add a couple of bananas and some dark chocolate, cut into big chunks.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
banana and chocolate bread pudding.

I don't exactly have a recipe but what I do is look up a recipe for bread pudding which uses croissant, and then add a couple of bananas and some dark chocolate, cut into big chunks.

Or you could add chopped up bananas to this before baking:

Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding Recipe

Ingredients

• 3 extra-large whole eggs
  • 8 extra-large egg yolks
  • 5 cups half-and-half
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 6 croissants, preferably stale, sliced horizontally
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla. Set the custard mixture aside. Slice the croissants in half horizontally. In a 10 by 15 by 2 1/2-inch oval baking dish, distribute the bottoms of the sliced croissants, then add the chocolate chips, then the tops of the croissants (brown side up), being sure the chocolate chips are between the layers of croissants or they will burn while baking. Pour the custard over the croissants and allow to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down gently.
  3. Place the pan in a larger one filled with 1-inch of hot water. Cover the larger pan with aluminum foil, tenting the foil so it doesn't touch the pudding. Cut a few holes in the foil to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40 to 45 more minutes or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sounds interesting. Just one thing. Do you cook the eggs, butter, and sugar layer?
No - the only thing cooked is the crust. I know there are raw eggs in there but you do keep it cold and serve it cold. I've eaten this dessert for about 35 yrs. and I'm okay. I guess if you were really uptight about the eggs you could always just use the whites and double up but the taste might be a tad different. I've never hurt anyone and I've never had any left overs. As I recall, I found this recipe on the back of a white sugar package. Try it. It's always a winner.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Try this speedy Fudge (8X8 pan)

1/2 cup butter 1 400 gm. Toberlone milk choc.
1/2 cup sugar (white) bar
3/4 cup (half can) canned evaporated milk
Put first 3 ingredients in a saucepan and cook over med high heat till well blended - stirring constantly.
As soon as it comes to a gentle boil, add in the chocolate bar and continue cooking and stiring for 5 min. Pour into dish and cool. It's fantastic.