Danish Flag added to Canadian Content

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wednesday's Child said:
Dear FiveParadox

I love your vision of life - I love that you can write it so clearly for us - it is the vision of youth - of the possibilities of change for the better - or your desire to remove outworn and destructive patterns in our society, and your questioning of issues.

It is wonderful you have a venue where you can object and you do it so well - stand up always for what you believe and leave a bit of wiggle room for reconsideration as the years go by.

As I wrote once before a few weeks ago....I wish one day we will all catch up to you.... think as you do.... react as you do..... declare your fairness and frankness as you do in such a gentle way...

Some day in our future - we may all reach the place where you now reside. I hope so.

That is exactly what I would have written if I had your talent. :wink: :wink: :lol:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Finder said:
I'm giving up on this now as I can see the admin doesn't really care that it is moving this community to the fringe.
Unfair, Finder. I was going to PM you, but decided to post here for all to see my response to that.

First of all, the administration of this site goes to every possible length to provide a safe, well run, technically secure, interesting forum for the members. Just because we take one small stand against one your beliefs is no reason to tar and feather us. To say that we don't care is utterly unfair. To say we disagree with you, that your objection is noted, and to move on is more like it. I take offence to your statement.

On a personal note, not as an admin ... The fringe of what? Freedom of speech in the world? I don't mind being on that fringe. Guilty as charged. I will stand up for the right to speak my mind, even if my sentiments are not popular.

The PC police have gone too far, imho, and somebody has got to say stop. Now it's been taken to a level of violence, all in the name of what they are labelling fairness. It's bullshit. And it's time people put their foot down on this. I don't hate Muslims ... I hate anyone who chooses to state their point by killing and hurting people. And I don't give a fig what colour their skin is, what building they worship at or what language they speak. But if a certain group is causing grief, I will single them out.

If a few people from CC started behaving badly around the net, giving our community a bad name, you can bet your patootie that the rest of us would jump on them quickly enough. It wouldn't be an admin issue, it would be a community issue. And this is just in the little microcosm of our world. I suggest the Muslim people do the same thing to avoid being categorized with their own bad element.

It's rubbish ... a few people are using that old knee-jerk PC reaction to manipulate others. This isn't about being a Muslim, it's about being a bad human.

<rant mode off>

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
#juan said:
Wednesday's Child said:
Dear FiveParadox

I love your vision of life - I love that you can write it so clearly for us - it is the vision of youth - of the possibilities of change for the better - or your desire to remove outworn and destructive patterns in our society, and your questioning of issues.

It is wonderful you have a venue where you can object and you do it so well - stand up always for what you believe and leave a bit of wiggle room for reconsideration as the years go by.

As I wrote once before a few weeks ago....I wish one day we will all catch up to you.... think as you do.... react as you do..... declare your fairness and frankness as you do in such a gentle way...

Some day in our future - we may all reach the place where you now reside. I hope so.

That is exactly what I would have written if I had your talent. :wink: :wink: :lol:

And I, FiveParadox.

Let me remind you, my comments were prefaced by thanking you for speaking your mind. I love how how you are. You always have an elegant way of expressing yourself that makes me stop and reconsider any points we disagree on. Your approach to the world does more to change peoples' minds than any other. I admire you. This time, I disagree with you, but not after giving your words due consideration.

You are a sweetie. I have seen the amount of time and effort you put into this forum and, as an admin, I value you highly as a member of CC. We don't always have to agree on issues for that esteem to remain firmly intact. I did not intend for any of my comments to be taken personally by you, nor to insult or hurt your feelings in any way. I admire the fact that you speak up no matter what and I hope that never changes.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
All this fuss over a small little flag on the top right corner of this message board. I think that's pretty sad.

And to the person who feels this board is on the frindge....in a sense I say good. None of us here agree on everything, but NO ONE is afraid to speak their minds for fear of anything. And that is one of the reasons why I post here.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Finder

Hello - thing about leaving is you will never know if you could have changed some opinions by hanging in there and getting down to some rational debate.

I think most of the people here are willing to see a broader spectrum of their own beliefs - unless they are so limited in their abilities to think outside the box, nothing will help.

Would it not be more satisfactory to you - to argue and debate with those opinions with which you disagree? What if some of the free floaters don't have any opinion and are sorting themselves out through forums of this kind.

If you feel this forum is taking a decidedly one-note approach, then there is trouble afoot and we need oppositional and diverse opinions to keep our minds open to other ideas and yes - change.
Unless you don't care.

Give it up and you will never know what could have been....

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Danish Flag added to Canadian Content

FiveParadox said:
This entire situation has become rather petty. Nobody is arguing over free speech anymore — we are arguing over a freedom to offend, which is quite frankly put, not the same thing.

I would respectfully disagree. Freedom to offend is the very cornerstone of freedom of speach. Freedom of speach is not very free if anyone can claim to be offended by what you say, and consequently, stifle your right to say it.

That's why the cartoons are being republished. It's not that the publishers have anything against Muslims, it's that they have something against being told what they can and cannot print.

That is the crux of the support for Denmark. The Danish government expressed regret that Muslims were offended, but stood by the principle that the government has no business interfering in the press. That is what we support. To say that the Danish flag somehow symbolizes an anti-Muslim sentiment demonstrates a woefull lack of understanding of what the issue is all about.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I totally agree with Cosmo - about being anti-violent. With the events of the past few months, occurring in different parts of the world, so many tied to Muslim terrorism - it's becoming apparent that this business of reconciling the differences between East and West if far more difficult than anticipated.

We don't even see eye to foot. Christians and Jews do not actually put someone to death for disobeying their holy book. Not in my country. We advocate doing better. It's that simple. We don't stone people for anything nowadays. WE GREW PAST THAT. And that is our problem with Islam - they haven't. At least some haven't. (not making a blanket statement) I cannot muster one iota of respect for a so-called religion which values human life so little. Especially women.

I see no problem putting the Danish flag on the site, if that is what Andem wishes. Maybe he could put the Canadian flag on the
left - and then have a "guest" flag in the Danish spot which will change from time to time. Come on, Andem, let the US have a turn once in a while - we are right here! Next month, Germany. And so on.

Uncle

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
If somebody comes upon this site by design or by happenstance, espies a tiny Danish flag in the mast-header, goes berserk and throws a hissy fit before promptly leaving, he/she has done humanity a service.
Those types are natural born Nutters who would not bother to read my educational illuminating pastes. :roll:

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Many countries have anti-blasphemy laws, which long ago fell into disuse. Today many Muslims, and some non-Muslims, want to make it a crime, once more, to deny the existence of God, scoff at scripture or otherwise offend the faithful, any faithful. A Muslim lawyer in Norway said the other day that his adopted country needs anti-blasphemy regulations to protect minorities against derisive and hateful expression. "The point," he said, "is not to restrict freedom of speech." (A good rule: anyone who says that is in the process of doing just that.) We are heading toward the creation of a new human right, the right not to be offended. But surely we all know that to live is to be offended. As a humanist I'm offended by a rule forcing women to cover their faces.

The proposal to punish blasphemy implies that we should avoid showing disrespect for any religion. But what (to put the question in a way that many Muslims will instantly understand) if a religion doesn't deserve respect? What if it deserves to be treated as, for example, Christianity is treated in Pakistan? That's one place that won't need any new rules in this field, Pakistani law being already more than adequate.

In 2003 a court in the Punjab city of Faisalabad sentenced Ranjha Masih, an illiterate 52-year-old Roman Catholic floor-sweeper, to life in prison because he may have thrown stones at a wall on which were written Koranic verses mentioning Mohammed -- and, just to prove they were serious, the police tore down his house as well, leaving his wife and five children homeless. He had been arrested five years earlier, during a memorial procession honouring Bishop John Joseph, who committed suicide to protest Pakistan's treatment of Christians.

This should make Muslim propagandists hesitate to seek legal remedies: The more we discuss the subject, the more we will learn about religious laws in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and other centres of bigotry. As for the West, it can maintain its integrity only if it insists that freedom of religion includes the freedom to blaspheme.
Blasphemy has set us free source

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Finder said:
With I have been reading recently I am afraid this forum is turning into an ultra (Western) Conservative slanted forum. Just reading half of the posts supporting the Danish flag on the site, these posts were made by what some may call racist (though not all).

If you mean this board has finally permitted right wing idealogies to be heard without the threat of being banned (this was all going on prior to your arrival), posters believing in free speech without allowing the government to get involved by invoking responsible free speech, posters believing that what goes on in Denmarks country and extremists shouldn't have a say half way around the world, if by all this you consider it to be ultra right wing, then I suppose you're correct and you can count me in on that also.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think not said:
Finder said:
With I have been reading recently I am afraid this forum is turning into an ultra (Western) Conservative slanted forum. Just reading half of the posts supporting the Danish flag on the site, these posts were made by what some may call racist (though not all).

If you mean this board has finally permitted right wing idealogies to be heard without the threat of being banned (this was all going on prior to your arrival), posters believing in free speech without allowing the government to get involved by invoking responsible free speech, posters believing that what goes on in Denmarks country and extremists shouldn't have a say half way around the world, if by all this you consider it to be ultra right wing, then I suppose you're correct and you can count me in on that also.

nope thats not what I mean. You also should fight extremism with extremism either. There's no reason why the admin could have made a statment of freedom of speech and made a link to it on the banner in support of the danish and make it out to be only that rather then using a symbole which a lot of racists and anti-islam people have.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Finder; if a Muslim comes to this forum and sees the Danish flag they will be offended, How? Just because segments of the Muslim world are upset with the Danes doesn't mean we have to be. It's called independant thinking. We are being accused of being Racists because we are discussing the World Issues-regarding Muslim violence. A discussion makes us racists. I applaud this forum for allowing those of us who will not be silenced by Polical Correctness-Take a bow- if you don't like Free Speech type in China and internet service.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Finder said:
I think not said:
Finder said:

nope thats not what I mean. You also should fight extremism with extremism either. There's no reason why the admin could have made a statment of freedom of speech and made a link to it on the banner in support of the danish and make it out to be only that rather then using a symbole which a lot of racists and anti-islam people have.

Sorry Finder, but are you using the Danish flag as an analogy to something like say, the swastika?

If so, there's nothing more I could possibly say.