Covid-crazed Ardern resigns as NZ PM

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Crazed big-toothed leftie lockdown loon Jacinda "Hard On" Ardern has resigned as New Zealand's Prime Minister after the public turn against her.

She went woke and therefore went broke.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Again, sad she's leaving.

I get her party is downturning at home, though. Now's a better time to leave than the election in October.

Still, she was a good PM until recently. You can tell by the way Blackie speaks just how good she was.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Groper should take a cue.

Trudeau has a new retirement roadmap, now that Ardern's called it quits​

When it comes to finding his exit ramp, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a new retirement roadmap.

On the far side of the planet a once-popular feminist prime minister, who battled violent Parliament-obstructing protests over pandemic policy, divided the population over its vaccination status, fought to green up resource industries and struggled with an economy inflating into recession, has called it quits just as an election year dawns with her polling numbers skidding downward.

That eerily familiar Trudeau-esque scenario marks the reign of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, which will end after five years in power.

But her resignation as of February 7 underscores a sharp contrast with Trudeau on one key point: Ardern knows she passed her best-before date and has departed before the electorate could issue a pink slip in the fall vote.

When it comes to finding his exit ramp, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a new retirement roadmap.

On the far side of the planet a once-popular feminist prime minister, who battled violent Parliament-obstructing protests over pandemic policy, divided the population over its vaccination status, fought to green up resource industries and struggled with an economy inflating into recession, has called it quits just as an election year dawns with her polling numbers skidding downward.

That eerily familiar Trudeau-esque scenario marks the reign of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, which will end after five years in power.

But her resignation as of February 7 underscores a sharp contrast with Trudeau on one key point: Ardern knows she passed her best-before date and has departed before the electorate could issue a pink slip in the fall vote.

Trudeau, if the scripted whispers from the prime minister’s staff reflect his actual thinking, seems disinclined to follow her example and plans to fight for a fourth mandate to reach ten years in office.

This despite new polling numbers pegging the Liberals seven points below the Conservatives under Pierre Poilievre with Liberal popularity about to be severely tested by a green industry transition plan featuring hefty job losses in an economy starting to lose steam.

This is where the Ardern model for strategic exits should rate attention from this prime minister.

Elected as one of the youngest prime ministers in the country’s history, Ardern attracted global acclaim for her handling of the Christchurch mosque massacre, the fatalities fallout from a deadly volcanic eruption and some of the harshest pandemic lockdown measures in the world.

But the dazzle didn’t last long in her own country as voters wearied of their great communicator delivering a lesser record of accomplishment. With her popularity numbers reduced to mere-mortal levels, Ardern shocked her country in declaring herself burnt out and ready to move on with no heir apparent in sight.

Which brings us back to Trudeau, who seems slightly burnt out himself by showing little enthusiasm for the job beyond funding announcements while avoiding premiers not to his liking and keeping his own ministers and Liberal MPs at a distance.

This much and more was bluntly revealed by former finance minister Bill Morneau in his just-published account of ministerial life under Trudeau.

Morneau has some brutal takes on Trudeau’s performance, portraying him a leadership lightweight who sacrifices serious management and fiscal restraint “at the altar of image and presentation” and opts for easy headlines over sound fiscal policy.

It’s a devastating pull-back-the-curtain view of this PMO and it amplifies the image of Trudeau as an all-hat-no-cattle force of only-personality, a perception which will haunt him into the next election.

Of course, armed with another two years of promised NDP support for his government, Trudeau has time for people to forget anything Morneau has revealed while he plots the best avenue to a lucrative political retirement.

But former Alberta cabinet minister Gary Mar makes a good point, using the hockey analogy of the ideal retirement being one where the player could’ve returned for another season to popular applause.

The risk for Trudeau is becoming another of the “many examples of politicians federally and provincially who have gone one too many elections and found themselves leaving not as a winner but as a loser,” Mar cautioned on CTV’s Power Play this week.

This is a risk Trudeau need not take.

With three elections won, Trudeau an above-average electoral record of victory. And while there’s still a path to re-election in the next few years, the road to an all-powerful majority mandate seems likely to dead end with, at best, another Liberal minority struggling to pass its agenda.

Ardern’s surprise resignation is the act of a smart politician crafting a legacy that ends with a winning streak.

Like Ardern, Trudeau’s early handling of the pandemic was a reassuring communications exercise where harsh isolation measures went down easier with a hefty helping of government support.

But like Ardern, his best days are arguably behind him.

Despite the scandalous size of the debt, the fires about to be ignited by resource job losses on the Prairies or those alarming PMO control freaks who block even the top minister from Trudeau, it’s still even-odds this prime minister could waltz into another term.

But Trudeau’s getting awfully close to his Ardern moment, that run-away-or-run-again point at which he can still bow out and leave his voters, his cabinet and his caucus clapping for more.

That’s the bottom line…

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Again, sad she's leaving.

I get her party is downturning at home, though. Now's a better time to leave than the election in October.

Still, she was a good PM until recently. You can tell by the way Blackie speaks just how good she was.
She was a crap PM to begin with, it just took people a couple of years to realize. If you have to hit the ejection button after only 5 years because you're going to lose, that is NOT a good sign that you were doing well.

And she's given her party no time to elect another person properly and for them to prepare for an election.

She's a failure.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
But at the end of the day trudeau MIGHT win the next election. HE's got lots of time to turn things around, 24 hours is a long time in politics, etc etc. And he craves power and the prestige which comes with being PM above all else. So he'll stay on as prime minister as long as he can and bow out when he's defeated unless the pressure from his party gets SO severe that he can't stand it anymore. But unless his polling takes a massive hit for a long stretch of time i doubt the loyalists in the party will allow that.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The longer he stays in the more he'll fuck up at an accelerating pace. When you flush a toilet (in this case a urinal Trudeau translates to a trough of water) the water swirls faster and faster as it goes down the drain. He isn't the first for that to happen to nor will he be the last.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
She was a crap PM to begin with, it just took people a couple of years to realize. If you have to hit the ejection button after only 5 years because you're going to lose, that is NOT a good sign that you were doing well.

And she's given her party no time to elect another person properly and for them to prepare for an election.

She's a failure.
All extreme left politicians are failures.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
All extreme left politicians are failures.
You're not wrong. I can't think of any where that isn't true. Especially if we define failure in terms of whether their country was better off in the end during their watch. Some have managed to stay in power but honestly that's a the point of a gun in most cases.

Mind you, MOST extreme right Politicians (and i mean EXTREME right, not the left's definition of extreme which is anyone right of Castro) tend to fail as well. But you see far fewer of those, and many right wing gov'ts do very well.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
You're not wrong. I can't think of any where that isn't true. Especially if we define failure in terms of whether their country was better off in the end during their watch. Some have managed to stay in power but honestly that's a the point of a gun in most cases.

Mind you, MOST extreme right Politicians (and i mean EXTREME right, not the left's definition of extreme which is anyone right of Castro) tend to fail as well. But you see far fewer of those, and many right wing gov'ts do very well.
Here is where TBs horseshoe theory of politics rings true. Extremists of whatever stripe have much more in common with each other than with the middle. That being said, the only countries that have fences to keep their citizens in, are extreme left.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Here is where TBs horseshoe theory of politics rings true. Extremists of whatever stripe have much more in common with each other than with the middle. That being said, the only countries that have fences to keep their citizens in, are extreme left.
Truth. On that score TB is absolutely correct. The thing is society seems to understand that radicalism isn't good when it's right wing, but allows left wing extremism to go somewhat unchecked. And not just our society but in history. Russia, china, cuba, venezuela, etc etc etc - wherever extreme leftwingism pops up we see them allowed to retain power until they become essentially dictators.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I get the impression that in her own country she’s not overly popular, but more so from the outside looking in.

She's suffering lack of popularity for the same reasons most leaders are right now - inflation.

Really she was popular until only the past year or so from what I've read.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
She's suffering lack of popularity for the same reasons most leaders are right now - inflation.

Really she was popular until only the past year or so from what I've read.
And crime, housing, smoking, COVID lockdown, guns, green policy.

I really only only heard of her a few times before the last couple days, but I was up early and did some reading this morning.

The only way she really came to my attention as I thought she was standing in front of a school bus when she was quitting or resigning.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I really only only heard of her a few times before the last couple days, but I was up early and did some reading this morning.

The only way she really came to my attention as I thought she was standing in front of a school bus when she was quitting or resigning.
And agriculture exports. Sheep farts ya know.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Crime happens to be an issue with all politicians.

Smoking - THAT shit was crazy I'll admit that.

Covid lockdown - that depends on your point of view, though at the time, a lot of NZ actually approved of how she handled it from what I read.

Guns - approval more than disapproval.

Not sure about her green policy.

LOL - that's what a friend of mine said too, it looked like a school bus.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep, she destroyed Amer. . . um, Cana. . . um, New Zealand. Slaughtered all the people with poisonous vaccines and made sure the rest will starve to death because they can't hunt without an AR-15 with a 30-round clip.

On the upside, the Maori will be happy.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
download (8).jpeg

Now that human Seabiscuit Jacinda Ardern has bolted from the stable the ponce above, former Covid Response Minister Chris Hipkins, looks set to become New Zealand's new PM...