COVID-19 'Pandemic'

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
Re: COVIDD-19 'Pandemic'

Calgary Stampede at this point is a different kettle of fish . It is expected to have run its course by summer time , and if so there should be no reason to cancel the Stampede . They at least have a longer time frame to consider cancellation .

Well, The Stampede actually takes place prior to the summer games, Stampede July 3-12, Olympics July 24-August 9. And it's not something that can exactly be called off at a moments notice considering the set up, airline reservations etc. I would guess they would need to make a decision a number of weeks in advance, perhaps by early June or earlier. But yes, still time before a decision would have to be be made, if necessary.

I hope you are right and that this will have blown over by then, but not because I am terribly interested in the Stampede, I haven't attended in over 10 years and have no desire to do so. But a return to normalcy coupled with a reason to celebrate would be nice.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Well, The Stampede actually takes place prior to the summer games, Stampede July 3-12, Olympics July 24-August 9. And it's not something that can exactly be called off at a moments notice considering the set up, airline reservations etc. I would guess they would need to make a decision a number of weeks in advance, perhaps by early June or earlier. But yes, still time before a decision would have to be be made, if necessary.

I hope you are right and that this will have blown over by then, but not because I am terribly interested in the Stampede, I haven't attended in over 10 years and have no desire to do so. But a return to normalcy coupled with a reason to celebrate would be nice.
I have only been once , had a good time . The difference is that many athletes can not train or compete in qualifying for the Olympics , not the same for Stampede .

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary

I have only been once , had a good time . The difference is that many athletes can not train or compete in qualifying for the Olympics , not the same for Stampede .

Yeah it's a good time. As far as athletes training goes, your point is taken. I don't know the extent to which rodeo participants train nor do I know how a participant is entered into the competition. Is there a qualifying system?

Still a pretty big event to ready for that would need time to call off if a cancellation were to become necessary. Certainly not on the scale of an Olympics which takes years to build up. So yes, not the same.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Riders train all winter and spring for Stampede. They are athletes.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary

Riders train all winter and spring for Stampede. They are athletes.

Oh yeah I do recognize that they are athletes, just wasn't sure what their training entailed. I would imagine the rodeo livestock too are in training.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Oh yeah I do recognize that they are athletes, just wasn't sure what their training entailed. I would imagine the rodeo livestock too are in training.
They certainly do not take time off from training. It's a big bucks industry for riders with even more if you are a breeder.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary

One stephen King style horror crisis at a time .....;-)

Speaking of:

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary

They certainly do not take time off from training. It's a big bucks industry for riders with even more if you are a breeder.

Oh it is a huge industry money wise. A past friend of ours used to breed horses, I forget what kind they were I know her star stud was a very large black and white beauty. But yeah it was big money. I was surprised.