Could you survive/go on without a cell phone.....

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
DAMN okay, rotary-dial wall phone definitely has me beat- tho I was lucky to find the old thing for 2$ at a garage sale- I have often wondered if it was one of them "Bell rental" phones, and how much money might have been spent on it over the years- I one worked in a callcentre and got a call from an older guy representing an 80+ year old- he was TOTALLY polite and easygoing, and he was hoping that he could return this phone that the OLD guy had been paying for since the 60's, we did some quick figuring and were laughing (tho mostly a kind of astonished laughing cos it was NOT funny to think about) about how the phone was "worth" a couple thousand dollars

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I only got a cell phone about 3 years ago, but now I really need it. I don't even have a land line anymore. The cell phone is just so much more convenient!!! Now, I can be on call for work, but still go out and do something without fear of missing their call. I have everyone's number programmed in there. I have music and games. I love it. Other than my ipod, it's my favourite gadget.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Why, I would like to know.

Dazzle all of us with your acumen.
LOL, you are obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree (I guess I had given you too much credit). Most drivers of vehicles you see doing stupid things on the road have a cell phone glued to their ear.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
LOL, you are obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree (I guess I had given you too much credit). Most drivers of vehicles you see doing stupid things on the road have a cell phone glued to their ear.

I would bet that you are secretly one of them, but to crafty to be caught!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I should be able to go without one in about 4-5 yrs. But until then I need mine to keep in contact with my teenage daughter. Course if they'd never been invented I'd have lived just fine...

But having one makes it easy for my daughter to plan her schedule and for me to plan things around her. It means I don't have to sit at home and wait for her...

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I hope cell phone use by car drivers will be banned...

Drivers down here have to use a hand free device to use cell phones in their cars. I haven't noticed much difference in the driving quality since that law passed unfortunately.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Drivers down here have to use a hand free device to use cell phones in their cars. I haven't noticed much difference in the driving quality since that law passed unfortunately.

Hubby's company doesn't even allow hands free. Their research found that any conversation was just as distracting, with or without your hands occupied, especially since the most dangerous times are when you are turning your attention to answering or hanging up the phone.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Hubby's company doesn't even allow hands free. Their research found that any conversation was just as distracting, with or without your hands occupied, especially since the most dangerous times are when you are turning your attention to answering or hanging up the phone.

I've heard the same thing. Maybe we should ban discussions in cars...;-)

I almost never use mine in the car anyways. It's too hard to hear when I'm speeding on the freeway.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
How did we ever survive without cell phones? Like anything else, the need was created and we all went along with it.
I will make one concession, and that is that I feel more at ease on those evenings when my wife is out and she has her cell phone with her.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Don`t want one. Pestered enough with the land line ringing night and day.
But I do get a kick outta listening to conversations on my Pro 2006 scanner modded to pick up these signals....peeps giving out thier names, credit card numbers etc.:lol:

gerryg8

Nov 6, 2008
My phone is everything...!

So many people here are unconnected - I'm completely amazed...!

Thing is, I probably couldn't live without mine - my mobile phone has and is everything I want in life! Haha... No really, I've got a HTC Touch Diamond ( Touch Diamond Review, Full description, Specifications ) The GPS, camera and email capabilities are brilliant really.
Would like to know though, does anyone own a Touch Pro and what, in your opinion are the advantages over the Diamond? Just interested...

Thanks! Gerry

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I sure can survive without a cell phone, but life would be just too uncomfortable :smile:
I especially appreciate cell phones when I am away from home. At such times I think of it as of a link between me and the people I love :smile: And there have often been situation when it helped solve some problem or get an answer to a very rugent question. I wouldn't want to go without a cell phone, really.

NorthernSun

Electoral Member
Nov 20, 2008
Sydney, NS
I am a teen without a cell. I think I am getting one though. I could easily do without one. It's just a bad habit that you have to break. Also, don't forget those crack-berry addicts out there. Most of them are professional adults that are addicted to checking their emails. I heard Obama is a crack-berry addict too...