Corporate tax cuts are not working

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Too bad that he isn't prepared to defend a position... But that would require actually stating a position in the first place.

To the letter, you have not succeeded in discrediting my claim that corporate tax cuts are not helping the economy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The 5 million was a tax break for the purchasers of the equipment, not the company. The company got tax breaks implmented in the 2008 budget for capital investments which effected other companies, not just EMD.
Ya, we established that already.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
They generally do, but the effect is minimal. More money in rich pockets usually translates to them buying a little bit more stuff like toys and shares.

It's always tough to assess the effects on a comparative basis. By in large, I believe it's fair to suggest that the gvt is hoping to stimulate some activity in a sector/industry by changing the economics. Depending on what fiscal model(s) you happen to support, the move can be good, bad or indifferent and have a variety of affects in the short, medium and/or long term.

In the end, there are simply too many combinations of fiscal programs and possible outcomes for anyone to state (definitively) what works and what doesn't.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Next thing you know, Canadian Tire will pull all Chinese-made goods off their shelves in favour of Canadian-made items.

Right. Like that would ever happen.

CAW lost the Caterpillar company for cheaper pastures and it was the CAW that fought GM many years ago for the right of union workers to have a choice on what foreign made car they drive to work and park on the GM lot as opposed to driving the company car.
We have to remember that CAW broke away from the UAW because of Canadian needs

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's always tough to assess the effects on a comparative basis. By in large, I believe it's fair to suggest that the gvt is hoping to stimulate some activity in a sector/industry by changing the economics. Depending on what fiscal model(s) you happen to support, the move can be good, bad or indifferent and have a variety of affects in the short, medium and/or long term.

In the end, there are simply too many combinations of fiscal programs and possible outcomes for anyone to state (definitively) what works and what doesn't.
I agree. Some companies actually use the tax benefits towards productive issues. But, for instance, as we saw with DUHbama's padding corporations and companies, a lot of it went towards high-position bonuses and not much of anything else. Those bailouts weren't tax cuts, but the same effect occurs.
That's why I would much rather see research and development grants and stuff like that than see anyone messing with taxes. There are still problems with things like favoritism and other things, but the effects are more significant. And even then there are exceptions.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Canada's inflation more than expected in January

OTTAWA — Consumer prices rose more than anticipated in January as the annual inflation rate hit 2.5 per cent, Statistics Canada said Friday.

That was higher than the 2.3 per cent rate seen in December, a rate that economists polled by Bloomberg had predicted would remain last month.

Among some of the big drivers of inflation in January were price hikes of 4.2 per cent, year over year, for food, and 6.5 per cent for energy.

Within the energy category, gasoline prices were up 6.8 per cent from a year earlier, a smaller gap than the 7.6 per cent rise seen in December. Electricity prices were up 7.3 per cent; fuel oil costs soared 17.1 per cent from a year earlier' but natural gas prices were down 0.7 per cent.

Transportation costs overall were up 3.7 per cent in January from 12 months earlier. In addition to higher fuel costs, consumers paid 3.4 per cent more in vehicle-insurance premiums and passenger vehicles were priced 1.4 per cent higher.

Canada's inflation more than expected in January

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Within the energy category, gasoline prices were up 6.8 per cent from a year
earlier, a smaller gap than the 7.6 per cent rise seen in December.
Electricity prices were up 7.3 per cent; fuel oil costs soared 17.1 per cent
from a year earlier' but natural gas prices were down 0.7 per cent.
Blame the polar bears.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Really....who is cutting supply to raise prices

Limited resources.

There's only so much dino blood in the ground. And as we take out more, prices go up!

An unfortunate fact you have to live with.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh come on flossy, you can do better than that. Explain these shortages that are driving inflation. Are you sure my electricty rates didn't go up to save polar bears by to building carbon capture systems on my power plants to increase oil extraction?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010