Conservative voters have amnesia!!!

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
bluealberta said:
...But Mulroney did not run deficits, so we should be thankful for that.

Mulroney was a financial disaster. During his tenure he ran just as many operating deficits as Trudeau(3of9 v 4of11 - no deficits my ass) even though he didn't have to deal with the oil crisis and took a bigger tax bite out of the economy (growing at +0.19% of GDP/yr v -0.06% of GDP/yr for Trudeau) in the process.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Conservative voters have amnesia!!!

Jay said:
Why did he run those "deficits"?

you mean the deficits BlueAlberta claims don't exist?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I know why he is saying that....

I want to know why those deficits were run.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Jay said:
I know why he is saying that...

so do I. because he doesn't give a monkey's behind about the truth.

you do know the difference between the operating and budgetary deficits, right?

Techincally 4 of 9, btw, but I consider 86-87 rather neligible so I decided to play fair and give The Chin the benefit of the doubt.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
oh hey

I forgot Trudeau followed Clark.

make that 7of14 (same metric) and scratch the "just as many"

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Jay said:
OK, don't answer the question.

Until you drop the quotes and acknowledge they actually happened I don't see why I should.

operating, not just budgetary.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I didn't say they didn't exist....I simply empathize with Blue on the point.

Anyway.....

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
"empathize"?

you mean you think the operating deficits were the result of debt servicing?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
This is what I have been lead to believe....I have posted, a few times, about it around here.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Jay said:
This is what I have been lead to believe....I have posted, a few times, about it around here.

then you've been mislead. By definition operating deficits are a negative net difference between budgetary revenues and operating expenses BEFORE public debt charges are applied.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
And I am under the impression he spent no more than he took in.....then came the interest charges.

I'm open to be proven wrong.

Toro

Senate Member
This comparison between Mulroney and Trudeau is silly. Trudeau created the deficit. He handed a terrible fiscal mess to Mulroney that was created during his tenure. To say that Mulroney was worse than Trudeau is tantamount to saying that the guy who did not put the fire out is worse than the guy who started the fire.

A better comparison is would Mulroney have run up a deficit from scratch the way Trudeau did? The answer is probably not, since Mulroney did produce budgets that were balanced with the exception of interest payments - payments that wouldn't have existed if there had been no deficit in the first place.

Also, this criticism of Mulroney can surely only be made by people who actually weren't around or aware of the political environment in the 1980s. Every time the Tories tried to cut spending, the Left and the Liberals went absolutely bananas, even for minor cuts. The shrill Rat Pack, lead by that horrible Shiela Copps, would stand up in Parliament and scream that cutting the deficit was "doing so on the backs of the poor" and "betraying Canada and the Canadian way" by "becoming like America". Its particularly gauling coming from the Left since the Left demonized Mulroney and the Tories for trying to be like Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. People like Maude Barlow and Bob White, as late as the mid-90s, were arguing that cutting deficits were part of a "corporate agenda".

So, in short, Mulroney did not cut deficits because there was no political appetite to do so. Canadians didn't want deficits to be cut.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Two consecutive conservative majorities and the best you can come up with is Mulroney was a populist?

at least Martin had some gonads.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Although Martin did have some balls, Preston had far bigger and better ones.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Jay said:
So....have I been mislead?

a Conservative Party of Canada MP speaking under the protection of parliamentary priviledge is your idea of proof?

the DoF has the actual numbers on the web. look it up yourself.