Conservative voters have amnesia!!!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
The point is, nobody is saying the debt did not increase under Mulroney, of course it did, for the most part caused by interest on the debt. I am sure most of you understand the concept of compound interest, especially TORO, but when you continue to pay interest on interest and the principal, you get massive increases in the amount owing. Look at a mortgage, and figure out where you would be if you did not make any payments at all on the debt for, oh say, 9 years (84 - 93). For another example, RRSP's are built for compound interest, that is why they increase so fast.

Mulroney had balanced program spending, but I guess technically you could say he ran a deficit because he did not pay any interest payments on the debt. However, as has been pointed out here on many occasions, by those that were there, the appetite for interest payments was nil, and would have put many people out of work had they done this. I think, if I also recall correctly, the World Bank got involved in Canada's finances at some point in time, but just exactly when I do not remember.

Say all you want, but when a party runs a country for 29 of 38 years, most of the problems by default were caused by that party.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Conservative voters h

BitWhys said:
Toro said:
BitWhys said:
you know what the deal is.

Link it.

what you going to do? call me names?

Would you feel better if we did? I mean, anything to make you feel better about yourself, cause when you read these posts a few years down the road, you are SO going to hate yourself..........ah why wait, start now. It's really okay. 8)

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Conservative voters h

Why don't you guys keep to the topic? If your going to argue, take it to Wreck Beach.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
BlueAlberta says (and said first) Mulrooney never rans deficits

ask HIM for a link. the numbers must be there.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Conservative voters have amnesia!!!

Toro said:
BitWhys said:
BitWhys said:
only if you promise to stop talking out your ass.

otherwise do your own research.

But you're the one making the claim.

I went over to the web site and didn't find it.

Here's the site map

http://www.fin.gc.ca/access/sitemape.html

Do your best.

Really now.

All I'm asking for is a promise out of a Conservative. Lord knows they're cheap enough.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Toro said:
BitWhys said:

Is that what he said?

Well, he'd be wrong then.

Did you say that Blue?

of course he did.

that's why I chimed in.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
BitWhys said:
Toro said:
BitWhys said:

Is that what he said?

Well, he'd be wrong then.

Did you say that Blue?

of course he did.

that's why I chimed in.

I said that he had balanced spending on programs, but did not make interest payments on the debt. In that regard, he ran deficits, which I have addressed earlier. The interest on the debt caused the debt to increase, as I understand it, not deficit program spending by Mulroney. I do, however, stand to be corrected, especially by TORO, whose opinion I totally respect.

Toro

Senate Member
RE: Conservative voters h

Mulroney did not balance the operational budget every fiscal year, only a few years.

The biggest criticism of Mulroney was that he wasn't Maggie Thatcher, who was willing to take on the vested interests that kept the UK down.

But Mulroney may not have been re-elected if he had done so since Canada didn't have the stomach at the time. Canada wasn't ready until the 1990s when debt rose to 100% of GDP.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Conservative voters h

Toro said:
Mulroney did not balance the operational budget every fiscal year, only a few years.

The biggest criticism of Mulroney was that he wasn't Maggie Thatcher, who was willing to take on the vested interests that kept the UK down.

But Mulroney may not have been re-elected if he had done so since Canada didn't have the stomach at the time. Canada wasn't ready until the 1990s when debt rose to 100% of GDP.

Fair enough, and I stand corrected. Having said that, though, it still must be noted that the Liberals introduced deficit financing and created the debt. Agreed?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
bluealberta said:
Yes, Mulroney had the power, but no one, especially the left, was in the mood to deal with the debt. You have to remember, there was a recession, and every time the words budget cuts were mentioned, the left and the media immediately jumped all over it because they felt that cuts would put more people out of work. If I recall correctly, unemployment was in the 10 - 12 % range during part of this time, so the public perception was not to cut anything. But Mulroney did not run deficits, so we should be thankful for that.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
BitWhys said:
bluealberta said:
Yes, Mulroney had the power, but no one, especially the left, was in the mood to deal with the debt. You have to remember, there was a recession, and every time the words budget cuts were mentioned, the left and the media immediately jumped all over it because they felt that cuts would put more people out of work. If I recall correctly, unemployment was in the 10 - 12 % range during part of this time, so the public perception was not to cut anything. But Mulroney did not run deficits, so we should be thankful for that.

Get over yourself already. Your'd still an ..........naw, I will get in trouble if I say it.