Conservative voters have amnesia!!!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Conservative voters h

Toro said:
Yes, the problems of the debt were created by the Liberals in the 1970s. However, having said that, the blame lies with the Canadian people since they did not demand fiscal responsibility until the 1990s.

Interesting take on the subject. Too bad it ended up with Chretien and Martin as the result. 8O

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I said that he had balanced spending on programs, but did not make interest payments on the debt. In that regard, he ran deficits, which I have addressed earlier. The interest on the debt caused the debt to increase, as I understand it, not deficit program spending by Mulroney. I do, however, stand to be corrected, especially by TORO, whose opinion I totally respect.

BlueAlberta,
I'm not sure if you read my previous post or not, but here it is again in case you missed it. I think it should clear things up.

According to the logic of Mr. Ken Epp (and BlueAlberta): The national debt in 1968 was 18 billion, in 1984 it was 198 billion. That is 1100% in 16 years. Taking the 16th root of 11 gives an interest rate of about 16%.
The debt in 1984 was 198 billion and in 1993, 498 billion. That comes to a 10.8% increase per year over 9 years (average).
16% is higher than 10.8% but interest rates were comparatively higher in Trudeau's days http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/mci.html.
So saying that Mulroney only added to the debt because of interest payments is like saying that Trudeau only added to the debt because of interest payments. However, neither is excusable and it should be the responsibility of any government to reduce the debt as much as possible.

Those are the numbers, you can judge for yourself, but it is clear that both prime ministers increased the debt at a rate close to the interest rate at the time.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
bluealberta said:
Fair enough, and I stand corrected. Having said that, though, it still must be noted that the Liberals introduced deficit financing and created the debt. Agreed?

Of course that is what happened, what do you think all this dancing around is about.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
bluealberta said:
BitWhys said:
bluealberta said:
Yes, Mulroney had the power, but no one, especially the left, was in the mood to deal with the debt. You have to remember, there was a recession, and every time the words budget cuts were mentioned, the left and the media immediately jumped all over it because they felt that cuts would put more people out of work. If I recall correctly, unemployment was in the 10 - 12 % range during part of this time, so the public perception was not to cut anything. But Mulroney did not run deficits, so we should be thankful for that.

Get over yourself already. Your'd still an ..........naw, I will get in trouble if I say it.

No doubt....we wouldn't want to see you banned.

Toro

Senate Member
gc said:
BlueAlberta,
I'm not sure if you read my previous post or not, but here it is again in case you missed it. I think it should clear things up.

According to the logic of Mr. Ken Epp (and BlueAlberta): The national debt in 1968 was 18 billion, in 1984 it was 198 billion. That is 1100% in 16 years. Taking the 16th root of 11 gives an interest rate of about 16%.
The debt in 1984 was 198 billion and in 1993, 498 billion. That comes to a 10.8% increase per year over 9 years (average).
16% is higher than 10.8% but interest rates were comparatively higher in Trudeau's days http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/mci.html.
So saying that Mulroney only added to the debt because of interest payments is like saying that Trudeau only added to the debt because of interest payments. However, neither is excusable and it should be the responsibility of any government to reduce the debt as much as possible.

Those are the numbers, you can judge for yourself, but it is clear that both prime ministers increased the debt at a rate close to the interest rate at the time.

You don't need any logic or any extrapolation. All you have to do is get your hands on the actual budgets. You can probably call up the DoF and they'll send one to you if you ask.

We're all sitting here having fun on a message board, but if you were serious about this subject, that's what you'd do.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Conservative voters have amnesia!!!

BitWhys said:
Toro said:
BitWhys said:
BitWhys said:
only if you promise to stop talking out your ass.

otherwise do your own research.

But you're the one making the claim.

I went over to the web site and didn't find it.

Here's the site map

http://www.fin.gc.ca/access/sitemape.html

Do your best.

LOL!!!!

omg

you're two clicks away :laughing8:

So I clicked on the link, and unless I missed something, it only goes until 1994.?